ESPN's Matt Mosley calls Kelly at 11 a 'lock'

The_Real

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-5-7...ck--Part-2.html

11. Bills -- Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma: At 6-foot-4, 224 pounds, this is the big receiver Buffalo needs to complement speedster Lee Evans. Cynics will point to Kelly not being able to get enough separation from defensive backs, but that's not completely fair. I watched him separate from Big 12 South cornerbacks on a regular basis. Those of us in the mock draft business refer to this as a LOCK.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-5-7...ck--Part-2.html

11. Bills -- Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma: At 6-foot-4, 224 pounds, this is the big receiver Buffalo needs to complement speedster Lee Evans. Cynics will point to Kelly not being able to get enough separation from defensive backs, but that's not completely fair. I watched him separate from Big 12 South cornerbacks on a regular basis. Those of us in the mock draft business refer to this as a LOCK.

Who is Matt Mosley and why does he have any more of an idea than ESPN's Mel Kiper whose mock drafts are usually in the 10/32 correct region

It looks like Mosley has not received the most recent memo, stating that Devin Thomas is the pick du jour. This will probably change a few more times before the draft, but someone needs to update him.

the bills need a starting WR in the worst way. At #11, all of the wrs will be on the board. If i did a mock draft this would be an easy choice.

Im just surpriesed that you dont hear more "experts" saying that at #11, all the WRs would be a "reach".

Its the same situation as Whitner a few years back. We needed a starting SS badly and took the guy we wanted.

I guess the only diffrence is that whitner was the second SS on the board, while many have Kelly as the #1 WR.

Who is Matt Mosley and why does he have any more of an idea than ESPN's Mel Kiper whose mock drafts are usually in the 10/32 correct region

Mosely is a blogger for hash marks. I heard him say yesterday that Kelly had dropped all the way down to 24 because of his thigh injury. Hes supposed to have a private show day like apr 9th.

It looks like Mosley has not received the most recent memo, stating that Devin Thomas is the pick du jour. This will probably change a few more times before the draft, but someone needs to update him.

We've just gotta take_________!

I have a bad feeling we're getting a corner. :censored:

No. That would be stupid. In today's era of "cloud of dust", run all day football, where teams rarely (if ever) use multiple wideout sets and where the Bills are clearly stocked @ the position?

I just don't see it.

No. That would be stupid. In today's era of "cloud of dust", run all day football, where teams rarely (if ever) use multiple wideout sets and where the Bills are clearly stocked @ the position?

I just don't see it.

What were we saying about pass rushers? :censored:

And, exactly who will we be liiing up in these multiple wideout sets that we can count on for production? :thumbsup:

What were we saying about pass rushers? :censored:

Nobody, since there's no such thing as free agency...

And, exactly who will we be liiing up in these multiple wideout sets that we can count on for production? :thumbsup:

...or Rounds 2 through 7 of the NFL Draft.

You're all missing my point.

By saying the Bills could draft a corner, I'm addressing the possibility, not necessarily what will happen. To say that it is catastrophic for them to do so is a bit hasty. Now, would it be my plan for them to take a corner in the first? I dunno. It would depend on what happens in free agency and how the first round shapes up before the pick (who is taken, are there any trade offers, stuff like that). As things stand, I'd love to see a pass rusher taken (William), 'cause I'm tired of watching the defense flounder on 3rd downs. However, if they feel they can get a top flight corner where they are, and still address the pass rush in either round 2 or 3, as long as they don't screw it up, I'd be all for it.

As for not taking receivers in round 1, I don't know if I subscribe to that theory. Way too many good receivers have been taken in the first round to say it's a bad idea. It's not like we're talking 'bout getting a kicker w/ the first pick or anything.

By saying the Bills could draft a corner, I'm addressing the possibility, not necessarily what will happen. To say that it is catastrophic for them to do so is a bit hasty. Now, would it be my plan for them to take a corner in the first? I dunno. It would depend on what happens in free agency and how the first round shapes up before the pick (who is taken, are there any trade offers, stuff like that). As things stand, I'd love to see a pass rusher taken (William), 'cause I'm tired of watching the defense flounder on 3rd downs. However, if they feel they can get a top flight corner where they are, and still address the pass rush in either round 2 or 3, as long as they don't screw it up, I'd be all for it.

As for not taking receivers in round 1, I don't know if I subscribe to that theory. Way too many good receivers have been taken in the first round to say it's a bad idea. It's not like we're talking 'bout getting a kicker w/ the first pick or anything.

You know that you want the Bills to draft a corner, just to see the inevitable Bill from NYC meltdown.

3rd down is the killer .

Receivers in the first round are luxury picks -- picks you make when either it's (a) a WR with rare skills and ability or (b) when your other needs have been addressed. Granted numerous good receivers have come out of the first round, it's quite rare for them to make significant contributions in year one and more often than not in year 2 as well. Now contrast the "draft" marketplace for WR with the free agent marketplace for WR and you notice that there is a very fluid market for WRs... you see good receivers with plenty left switching teams quite often and at reasonable prices. The same can't be said about cornerbacks and pass rushers. Both positions have seen their respective prices fly through the roof, making them much harder to strengthen in free agency (without surrendering record $) -- hence the need to fortify the positions in the draft.

EDIT: We had Tommie Harris and Vince Wilfork staring us in the face and we took Lee Evans. Love Lee... but let's not make that mistake again, please :censored:

Could Kelly be the Patrick Willis of 2008?

More drafts had Willis coming to the Bills last year. It was never the Bills' intention. I bet we have 2 more WR's parade into 1BD in the next 39 days. Then we'll pick a Strong Safety, or something.