NFL 9 billion of debt?

Chilly

:thumbsup:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/03/17/...owes-9-billion/

According to Daniel Kaplan of SportsBusiness Journal, the league had more than $9 billion in debt as of October 2007.

That’s an average of more than $281,000,000 per team.

The disclosure came in a letter from NFL outside counsel Gregg Levy in support of a decision by the league to reduce the per-team annual debt ceiling. The union has filed collusion charges regarding the move, alleging that the league essentially has limited the amount of money that will be available to pay bonuses and other lump sums to players. The Levy letter has been made public because it has been filed in connection with the collusion charges.

MARGIN CALL!!!!

Don't think the NFL is untouchable with all the crap debt out there. You will be hearing rumors for months of troube from all corners. It doesn't matter how good your asset is, it is all about who the loan party is and who has enough jack to take on a loan in a hurry.

I have not fact checked this, but I bet the $9 Billion is heavily concentrated in the large market teams that are partly financing their own new stadiums....the NFL contributes about $150M of the costs for a new stadium on average--but more and more owners are financing a part on their own...when a part is $500M like the Cowboys Stadium - that's a big chunk of the debt.

Ralph is probably not carrying much debt at all...an interesting advantage for small market teams with supportive governments...

I have not fact checked this, but I bet the $9 Billion is heavily concentrated in the large market teams that are partly financing their own new stadiums....the NFL contributes about $150M of the costs for a new stadium on average--but more and more owners are financing a part on their own...when a part is $500M like the Cowboys Stadium - that's a big chunk of the debt.

Ralph is probably not carrying much debt at all...an interesting advantage for small market teams with supportive governments...

I thought I'd read that Ralph has little or no debt on the team, so if that's the case (and I'm sure he's not alone), then there must be some teams that are close to half their value in debt. While the NFL is hugely popular, you never know what a downturn could cause in terms of economic havoc even for them. Perhaps this is part of why Goodell is fighting so hard to sweep Spygate under the rug--that kind of news ain't good for business......

$9B of debt is not the same as $9B in debt, and by itself is a meaningless number. Lots of very healthy business carry large debt loads.

Picky, picky. Changed.

I'm curious to know which teams are holding all of the debt.

Picky, picky. Changed.

I'm curious to know which teams are holding all of the debt.

:pirate:

I didn't mean you....I meant the tone of the article and overall reaction to it. Without analyzing the books, I suspect the NFL has mad cash flow so a large debt figure is nothing to be too concerned about. I doubt the NFL is going Bear Stearns on us anytime soon.

A friend of mine has always speculated that the reason Ralph won't sell the Bills now is that he would have to open his books and show the team is mortgaged to the hilt. Not a bad strategy actually. It's one way to get your equity without a huge tax liability and when you pass, someone else cleans up the mess. If Ralph did something like that, then I'm sure there are other owners who have as well.

PTR