Obama's Preacher for 20 years

VRWC

Aside from objecting to American flags at the National Constitution Center, a museum honoring the nation's founding, what exactly did he say that you find insulting or bad?

Oh yeah...that site was chosen just by coincidence. Come on.

What I found insulting was his effort to place blame on the "media" for drumming up this story.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah...that site was chosen just by coincidence. Come on.

What I found insulting was his effort to place blame on the "media" for drumming up this story.

No, the site was chosen specifically for everything he was talking about in his well thought out speech, a perfect backdrop, IMO. I doubt you actually took the time to read in full, since he didn't blame the media for drumming up this story, unless you want to say that people heard about it in the media. How else would they possible hear about it except from the media? Sure he said some people wouldn't let it die and it's true, or chose to make it an issue when it shouldn't have been. Do you think this is not true?

No, the site was chosen specifically for everything he was talking about in his well thought out speech, a perfect backdrop, IMO.

Then why did liberals take issue with the "props" Bush uses? A speech about the economy in a factory? A speech decalring an end to a military action aboard an aicraft carrier? Why are THOSE "bad", but this usage of such a backdrop "good." Oh, Oh...I know......."BUSH BAD!!!!!!!"

I doubt you actually took the time to read in full, since he didn't blame the media for drumming up this story, unless you want to say that people heard about it in the media.

Wrong assumption.

" And I confess that if all that I knew of Reverend Wright were the snippets of those sermons that have run in an endless loop on the television and You Tube, or if Trinity United Church of Christ conformed to the caricatures being peddled by some commentators, there is no doubt that I would react in much the same way "

more

"Talk show hosts and conservative commentators built entire careers unmasking bogus claims of racism while dismissing legitimate discussions of racial injustice and inequality as mere political correctness or reverse racism."

So I guess making wild conspiracy theories and screaming "GOD DAMN AMERICA!!!" is a legitimate discussion of racial injustice. Way to go, Hussien. Oops ...Im not suppossed to say that. Maybe if I call him Barack Damn Hussein Obama it would be better?

Sure he said some people wouldn't let it die and it's true, or chose to make it an issue when it shouldn't have been. Do you think this is not true?

No, I WONT let it die that Barack is minimizing this and trying to spin the conversation. I WONT let it die that this congregation and Barack, himself is now being downright indignant over this man who damns this Country. And I like this...I like that Rev. Wrong is elevated to sainthood and his white Grandmother is a racist.

RE: Obama's speech

First of all, the speech is the same old campaign strategy (I'm a uniter, not a divider), but applied to race instead of other issues. He also hits on the tried and true American/patriotic themes.

Now, to point out some parts of the speech which I caught were worded such a way for political reasons:

I suppose the politically safe thing would be to move on from this episode and just hope that it fades into the woodwork.

I love this quote from a political stand-point. The politically safe thing to do is to come out and strongly condemn the remarks, and explain your relationship with him, in order to get it picked up in the media. He's asserting he's NOT a typical politician, while doing EXACTLY what a smart politician would do.

And if we walk away now, if we simply retreat into our respective corners, we will never be able to come together and solve challenges like health care, or education, or the need to find good jobs for every American.

And here we see one of Obama's strong suggestions in this speech to get people to vote for him: "I can bring people together on race, so I can make these other issues work too." Again, typical political speech, dressed up in a new way.

a country that has made it possible for one of his own members to run for the highest office in the land and build a coalition of white and black; Latino and Asian, rich and poor, young and old

Great statement politically. Reinforces the idea that he's a uniter, and asserts that he, not Hillary, has the largest coalition and can win the swing states.

Of course, it starts and ends with a nod to the founding fathers, another typical and good political move.

I found the speech to be well-written, but what I want to know is, if he feels that this is such a big problem, what in the hell is HE going to do about it as President? Give these speeches that only a small segment of society will even pay attention to?

Okay, Obama, you've established that we need to move past race. How are you going to get that done?

I found the speech to be well-written, but what I want to know is, if he feels that this is such a big problem, what in the hell is HE going to do about it as President? Give these speeches that only a small segment of society will even pay attention to?

Okay, Obama, you've established that we need to move past race. How are you going to get that done?

That's not what I got out of it. The groundbreaking nature of the speech is that he used a lot of conservative talking points to frame his argument. Style over substance, yes. But few left of center politicians have said what he said.

That's not what I got out of it. The groundbreaking nature of the speech is that he used a lot of conservative talking points to frame his argument. Style over substance, yes. But few left of center politicians have said what he said.

Agreed. I thought there was a lot of groundbreaking stuff. When do you ever hear a black guy, let alone a liberal Democrat, admitting there is reverse discrimination against whites and they do and should feel equally mad and unfairly treated.

agreed. I thought there was a lot of groundbreaking stuff. When do you ever hear a black guy, let alone a liberal Democrat, admitting there is reverse discrimination against whites and they do and should feel equally mad and unfairly treated.

When they know they have the black voters wrapped up and now want to get the blue collar white voters that are offended by the remarks of their pastor. And there is no such thing as reverse discrimination, it's just discrimination of blacks against whites. The reverse of discrimination would be acceptance and equal treatment.

And there is no such thing as reverse discrimination, it's just discrimination of blacks against whites. The reverse of discrimination would be acceptance and equal treatment.

Right. And a double reverse is a hand-off.

When whites are being discriminated against because of blacks for no discernible reason, like, say, not being able to play CB in the NFL, it is discrimination.

When whites are being discriminated against because of the steps taken to try to stop discrimination that backfired, it is reverse discrimination. How hard is that to understand? You're beginning to sound like Wacka Molson.

Right. And a double reverse is a hand-off.

When whites are being discriminated against because of blacks for no discernible reason, like, say, not being able to play CB in the NFL, it is discrimination.

When whites are being discriminated against because of the steps taken to try to stop discrimination that backfired, it is reverse discrimination. How hard is that to understand? You're beginning to sound like Wacka Molson.

When one group gets an advantage at the cost to another because of their ethnicity, that's discrimination. The term "reverse discrimination" is used by those who want to minimize the perceived impact of discrimination of minorities against whites. It's all discrimination.

When one group gets an advantage at the cost to another because of their ethnicity, that's discrimination. The term "reverse discrimination" is used by those who want to minimize the perceived impact of discrimination of minorities against whites. It's all discrimination.

So if a white guy punches a black guy for no reason it is assault. And if a white guy punches a black guy after that black guy punched him first it is still just assault? You see no difference between the two? No irony? You see no cause and effect relationship between the first punch and second? These are both just assaults? Discrimination and reverse discrimination are both forms of discrimination but two different things.

I thought that, for the most part, it was a very good speech. I have read it, but have not seen it as it was delivered.

There was one part where I cringed a bit. That was the part where he brought up comments that his grandmother supposedly made. I understood the point that he was trying to make, but wondered whether he was saying things about his grandmother that he really should not say -- especially in a political speech.

Apparently, some are now referring to the speech as the "Throw your grandmother under the bus speech."

I have no doubt that Sean Hannity will be focusing on this aspect of the speech.

Editor's note: I am a McCain supporter.

Cirticising the racist hate speech coming out of Trinity Church and other "social" churches across the Country, black, Muslim and Christian would be a good start.

But that aint gonna happen.

Uhhm, he did.

I thought that, for the most part, it was a very good speech. I have read it, but have not seen it as it was delivered.

There was one part where I cringed a bit. That was the part where he brought up comments that his grandmother supposedly made. I understood the point that he was trying to make, but wondered whether he was saying things about his grandmother that he really should not say.

Apparently, some are now referring to the speech as the "Throw your grandmother under the bus speech."

I have no doubt that Sean Hannity will be focusing on this aspect of the speech.

Editor's note: I am a McCain supporter.

I really don't understand how people can genuinely object to that part unless she specifically requested him not to, which I would highly, highly doubt. (I do understand why they would try to use this against him though).

The point of the speech is to address race as things are, as they have been, and will be. He says he made mistakes, his campaign did, his pastor did, his family did, others have, and that's where we are as a country right now. He put it in historical perspective as well as made it topical. But he is also saying we have to be honest about the fact that it exists if we are able to get beyond it. That's what makes him different. He's willing to say things that others won't say, and it's everyone's problem, not this person or that person's. It's brave, un-PC, and refreshing.

I really don't understand how people can genuinely object to that part unless she specifically requested him not to, which I would highly, highly doubt. (I do understand why they would try to use this against him though).

The point of the speech is to address race as things are, as they have been, and will be. He says he made mistakes, his campaign did, his pastor did, his family did, others have, and that's where we are as a country right now. He put it in historical perspective as well as made it topical. But he is also saying we have to be honest about the fact that it exists if we are able to get beyond it. That's what makes him different. He's willing to say things that others won't say, and it's everyone's problem, not this person or that person's. It's brave, un-PC, and refreshing.

I understand what you are saying. Nevertheless, it does seem somewhat crass and expedient to bring up comments that were supposedly made -- in private -- by the woman who raised him. This is the same woman whom he and his campaign has kept from the media until now.

So if a white guy punches a black guy for no reason it is assault. And if a white guy punches a black guy after that black guy punched him first it is still just assault? You see no difference between the two? No irony? You see no cause and effect relationship between the first punch and second? These are both just assaults? Discrimination and reverse discrimination are both forms of discrimination but two different things.

To use your analogy, if I'm a white guy that got hit by the black guy's punch, but not the white guy who threw the first punch, then he just assaulted me. If I'm the white guy who lost out on a job because of a quota system for minorities, when I'm not the one who discriminated against minorities in the past, then I've been discriminated against. PC talk doesn't change the facts.

I understand what you are saying. Nevertheless, it does seem somewhat crass and expedient to bring up comments that were supposedly made -- in private -- by the woman who raised him. This is the same woman whom he and his campaign has kept from the media until now.

Was it any less crass that he invoked conversations in barber shops and beauty salons?

People pine for politicians saying the truth. Until they get one.

Was it any less crass that he invoked conversations in barber shops and beauty salons?

People pine for politicians saying the truth. Until they get one.

As far as I know, Obama was not raised in a barber shop or beauty salon.

By the way, for what it is worth, I thought it was a very good speech (other than that) as I posted earlier.