Wearing a hat during the National Anthem

OnTheRocks

Serious question:

What is disrespectful about wearing a hat? I honestly have never understood it.

And I'm hoping for more than "that's how I was raised" or "that's how you should be raised" or similar. I'm really curious WHY?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Serious question:

And I'm hoping for more than "that's how I was raised" or "that's how you should be raised" or similar. I'm really curious WHY?

Clearly, in 2007, NOTHING!

Here are a couple of plagiarized explanations:

"Just as covering the head symbolized dominance, so uncovering it

symbolized submission. Ever since the early Middle Ages, to remove

one's hat - be it made of cloth or metal - has signified subservience

to a superior. As an animal bares its throat or belly to a dominant

rival, the feudal vassal bared his head to his lord, saying, in

effect, "I am at your service; do with me as you will." This

original sense of the ritual is mirrored in the expressions "with hat

in hand" and "I take my hat off to him."'

http://hometown.aol.com/fynehats2/page2.html

"It's a matter of history..

The "tipping" or removal of a hat is said to have originated from the

same place as the military salute. Knights would lift the visor (face

guard) on their helm, showing their face as a sign of respect and

their empty hand as an indication they meant no harm. This tradition

evolved into the modern military salute. Similarly, the removal of a

helm (helmet) or other headgear indoors and as a sign of respect or

reverence is said to have originated before the Dark Ages. This

tradition was carried on throughout the centuries by men of arms

(soldiers) and nobility, as well as their staff, servants and slaves.

After the Dark Ages, manners and etiquette grew to become an essential

part of everyday life and the conventions of hat etiquette became

ingrained in civilized culture."

http://www.bcvc.net/hats/

Even one of my favorite explanatory websites doesn't adequately address WHY a hat is disrespectful:

Dear Straight Dope:

My husband and I were recently at a Mariner's baseball game in Seattle (Yeah M's!). Just before the game started the announcer said "We are about to start the game. We will ask you at this time to all rise for the national anthem, and we will ask the men to remove their hats." We all rose and the men removed their hats. During the anthem I looked around. Women were wearing all kinds of hats. Why don't women have to remove their caps/hats during the national anthem? --Celia in Seattle

SDSTAFF Songbird replies:

Oh, say can you see? If not, the lady in front of you should remove her hat.

Congress has amazingly addressed your very question in their pamphlet on flag etiquette entitled Our Flag. When in civilian attire, men must remove their hats and hold them at their left shoulder with their right hand over their heart. If they don't have a hat, men should place their right hand, palm open, over their heart. Women (with or without a hat) also need to place their right hand, palm open, over their heart. When in athletic clothing, one is required to face the flag or music, remove any hat or cap and stand at attention; a hand salute is not given.

Emily Post, in her 1922 book Etiquette, says, "It is not necessary to add that every American male citizen stands with his hat off at the passing of the 'colors' and when the national anthem is played. If he didn't, some other more loyal citizen would take it off for him."

A lady's hat is considered part of her costume or ensemble, and as such need not be removed (for one thing, say etiquette experts, her coiffure could be badly dented and mussed when she removes her hat).

The only time a lady must remove her hat is when it blocks the view of someone behind her. According to Amy Vanderbilt''s Guide to Gracious Living (1963): "If there is any doubt about a hat obscuring someone's view at the theater, the movies, or a meeting, a woman should remove it promptly. If she's asked to remove it by someone having difficulty seeing beyond her, she should do it immediately with murmured apologies."

--SDSTAFF Songbird

Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mhatsoff.html

IMO, the reason "we" consider it disrespectful to wear a hat during the anthem is because "We were TOLD it was".

Serious question:

That is what I was wondering too?

Woman and girls are allowed to wear hats during Catholic Mass...

It might be a Christian thing?

As another poster noted, most others in the world... Wearing a hat is a sign of respect...

He flew in WWII planes in 'Nam.

As much of a pill I think tenny is, I don't question his service or his courage. Maybe his sanity - he flew in friggin' DC-3s over Vietnam. But not his service or courage.

And as far as all you servicemen are concerned...you fought for my First Amendment right to not take my hat off during the anthem, or burn the flag, or sit outside Bush's ranch in Crawford and act like a friggin' moron, or express myself however the hell else I want. Telling me I don't have a right you served to protect is hypocritical in the extreme.

Shut the hell up, pencil-necked civilian. :wallbash:

I just wonder if he waits until the second verse before he starts throwing punches...I'd like to know so I can raise my future kids "properly."

No, I like to take care of it as quick as possible. Sometimes when I'm really quick, I can get in a noogie or two before the guy knows what hit him .... good times! Once again ... God Bless America!!!

I'm just wondering...do you hit them if they don't actually sing the National Anthem?

What do you do if they sing off-key? Give them a wedgie?

You mean if they sing out of tune? Well, I "tune them up" of course.

Serious question:

Why do women have to wear shirts in public places? Why do I have to wear pants to work? Much like my Dad used to say when I asked him a question "Because, that's why."