Turner likely to stay in SD

jri111

Artcile in the Tennesseean today: http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../704170375/1027

"As of right now, it looks like Michael is going to be in San Diego,'' Cook said. "Things could change, and it could happen on draft day, too.''

"I don't think that is going to happen either,'' Cook said of Buffalo. "I don't know what is going to happen. Nothing is happening right now, though.''

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But, then AJ is going to lose him for nothing next season

I think its obvious that as of right now he will be in SD cause no team wants to pay what SD wants. His agent isn't really giving much insight besides right now he's a Charger and may end up staying a Charger unless something happens in the future

I can't imagine Turner or his agent are happy about this, especially with the amount of coin being thrown around this off season.

I don't know about that, usually prices go up every year, sure alot has been spent this offseason on mediocre players, but if the cap goes up again (like it probably will) think of what he could get next year if he shows just a little bit more

I can't imagine Turner or his agent are happy about this, especially with the amount of coin being thrown around this off season.

I don't know if its really that bad of a deal for him. With contracts escalating the way they are, he may actually make $5-10 million more by waiting a year. Injury is a threat, of course, but as a backup carrying who has gotten less than 100 carries each year, his odds of making it through the season are pretty good.

I don't know about that, usually prices go up every year, sure alot has been spent this offseason on mediocre players, but if the cap goes up again (like it probably will) think of what he could get next year if he shows just a little bit more

He plays RB. They have a genuine opportunity to get injured on every single play. I don't think RB's like the idea of 'waiting until next year' to sign their extension. Even RB's who get franchised make good coin for one year, but are risking A LOT more coin because of the injury potential while playing out that one-year franchise contract.

They can't be happy. He'll get maybe a little bit more next year than he would have this year, but he's missing-out on about $3M extra this year by playing under the RFA tender.

He can stay in SD if they won't budge on a 1st rounder. Then they'll lose him next year for nothing and it will have been all for naught, since they won't be winning the SB.

Think of what could happen if he rips his knee up during the first preseason game. All he can count on is his signing bonus, and that would go in the crapper if he received a serious injury. Kind of like a bird in the hand being worth $18M while the two in the bush may be singing an entirely different tune.

He plays RB. They have a genuine opportunity to get injured on every single play. I don't think RB's like the idea of 'waiting until next year' to sign their extension. Even RB's who get franchised make good coin for one year, but are risking A LOT more coin because of the injury potential while playing out that one-year franchise contract.

He's definitely not going to like it, but at the same time, he's right. Turner could potentially benefit from this a year down the road. In fact, teams may be willing to pay him a LOT more money knowing that they also don't have to give up a draft pick in the process.

I gaurantee a draft day trade will get done with someone. No way AJ will let him go free next year and he is not going to franchise a backup RB. they will lower there asking price and someone will jump on him. Dont be surprised if the Giants take a stab at him during the draft.

This sounds like just the type of thing one would say if you were hoping to move a team that refused to part with a 1st for you off the dime to get them to budge (this is where I think the Bills are) or alternately it may be a last gasp attempt by Turner's folks to get the Bills to budge before he and SD give up and take a second.

I hope Marv holds out unless SD caves and if they do not, he trades down from #12 (now or on draft day as I think the team is better in 07 if it trades down for additional 1st day picks even if Peterson or Willis were to drop to #12 for them. Peterson and Willis both have significant upside if they work out, but the draft is simply too big of a crapshoot to bank on either of these two players working out for sure.

Any player risks injury on every play, Some even risk injury at home in the offseason. But he is a backup RB who doesn't get more then 100 carries a year. If he takes another year to show he can be a starter he will then have the chance to chose whatever team he wants (not just one thats willing to trade, for the most money he can get in a market where prices will have gone up

I gaurantee a draft day trade will get done with someone. No way AJ will let him go free next year and he is not going to franchise a backup RB. they will lower there asking price and someone will jump on him. Dont be surprised if the Giants take a stab at him during the draft.

Why trade a player who does a very good job at filling a vital role on the team for a 2nd round draft pick that may not be able to contribute immediately?

AJ Smith isn't going to lower his asking price, nor should he. Turner's value to the Chargers is greater than his value to the teams interested in trading for him.

This sounds like just the type of thing one would say if you were hoping to move a team that refused to part with a 1st for you off the dime to get them to budge (this is where I think the Bills are) or alternately it may be a last gasp attempt by Turner's folks to get the Bills to budge before he and SD give up and take a second.

I hope Marv holds out unless SD caves and if they do not, he trades down from #12 (now or on draft day as I think the team is better in 07 if it trades down for additional 1st day picks even if Peterson or Willis were to drop to #12 for them. Peterson and Willis both have significant upside if they work out, but the draft is simply too big of a crapshoot to bank on either of these two players working out for sure.

This draft is so weak that only about 18 players carry real 1st round grades.

The Bills have a chance to get one at #12.

Why would they give up a likely starter for multiple back up / scrubs in a weak draft?

Why trade a player who does a very good job at filling a vital role on the team for a 2nd round draft pick that may not be able to contribute immediately?

AJ Smith isn't going to lower his asking price, nor should he. Turner's value to the Chargers is greater than his value to the teams interested in trading for him.

That's not true. he could be very valuable to the Bills, Titans, Packers or another team. A serviceable back-up could keep the Chargers on basically the same level. Unless, he is a top five or so back in the league, the Chargers arent winning the SB without LT.

I agree that AJ doesn't have to trade him and won't for a crappy deal just so he gets something. I just think it's coming down to the wire and it's extremely difficult for the Bills or Titans as well as the Chargers to know just how far to go without going over.

why trade Turner now?

because Turner's value will never be higher after his highlight reel 2006.

If he's actually does have to play significant time for LT in 2007, whatever warts he has will be exposed and his value will drop.

SD knows what they have in him and he is worth more to them than anyone else due to tight window to challenge for a Super Bowl.

It's an agent talking. That usually means six things:

He is being honest or totally full of crap.

He is trying to deflate interest in a trade or inflate interest for his client.

The trade is closer than ever or further than ever.

A most quintessential fair and balanced post! :lol: