Are we completly against drafting anyone with character issues?

Do you think Marv would consider drafting someone with question marks about their character?? Cause there are a lot of players with so called character issues but tremendous talent who could be had in later rounds. Is it worth taking a chance on those guys or should we eliminate guys based on previous transgressions?

Do you think Marv would consider drafting someone with question marks about their character?? Cause there are a lot of players with so called character issues but tremendous talent who could be had in later rounds. Is it worth taking a chance on those guys or should we eliminate guys based on previous transgressions?

"ability without character will lose." -Marv Levy

With vets like Fletcher and Spikes in the locker room I don't think it would've been an issue. Marv may have to consider that aspect more now, because the leaders of the team are essentially Schoebel and Losman, relatively young guys.

It's always hard to predict behavior and always easy to look back with 20/20 vision. However, I think Green Bay would've done alright drafting Randy Moss three picks before Minnesota in the 1998 draft...Possibly would've been the missing weapon for Favre and led them to SB wins over Denver....

Personally, I say take the best guy, but always within reason...Moulds had a bad rap and he was a good soldier for 10 years, so it can work out....On the other hand, the Titans knew PacMan was coming with baggage, but they decided he was worth the risk, and now it bites them...

Bottom line-- you need talent to win, and you can't be gunshy about picking an impact player. Sometimes a GM has to trust the head coach he hired and the players he signed to step up and handle the potential locker room disturbances....

Perhaps your question would be better phrased:

"Do you think Marv will draft a player who he doesn't believe will fit on the kind of team that he is trying to build?"

:worthy:

Marv has said several times that he is talking about "football character" not boy scout character so yes, he would absolutely sign a guy with minor so called "character issues".

Any one beside me out there who thinks that "character issues" is the top overused phrase when it comes to the draft? Right up there with "value pick" and "high motor".

Any one beside me out there who thinks that "character issues" is the top overused phrase when it comes to the draft? Right up there with "value pick" and "high motor".

Yup although I think you should replace "value pick" with one of my personal favorites Just a "Football Player"

Marv has said several times that he is talking about "football character" not boy scout character so yes, he would absolutely sign a guy with minor so called "character issues".

He should get Ricky Williams from the Phins.

I disagree. Marv often referrers to the drafting of Shane Conlan over someone else who is now in jail. This would lead me to believe he would take off the field transgressions into account.

Is football and regular character that different? If someone is out on the streets mixing it up with drug dealers and waving guns in peoples faces, they wouldn't strike you as higher risk to cause a disruption in the locker room or on the field?

Marv brought in Gale Gilbert after his troubles in Seattle with women and brought in Reggie Rogers after he got out of jail. Don Smith ended up & jail & C. Bennett got busted for nonconsentual sodomy with a woman in Buffalo & served time after his Bills days. Marv is not looking for a team of choirboys.

Nope...esp. with the new rules about that stuff.

I think it is right on target to focus on this.

In a couple of years, it this new system which has the endorsement of both the NFL and NFLPA is in place and working then perhaps the Bills can take some chances with a questionable character guy as it will not take many more dingings of folks like Pac-Man and Henry that college guys will get the message about what is expected.

However, though things look like they may get better, right now it is quite uncertain how the NFL is going to handle questionable players and exactly how badly a team will get penalized for having a bad actor player on their team.

I think given the heightened uncertainty of the effects of having a dubious character player on your roster will be and players in the draft today who have not lived for several years with examples of how a Pac-Man will be dealt with there is even greater risk taking a player of dubious character right now.

You forgot the most overused word, "upside". Hell, it's not even a word.

C. Bennett got busted for nonconsentual sodomy with a woman in Buffalo & served time after his Bills days.

I remember local radio guys (I think it was Shredd & Regan) were outside the courthouse grilling footlong hotdogs during the trial, becasue it reportedly came out in depositions that the Biscuit had a 12" member....