Turner's price has went down.

I think the 'we must have Turner' talk is a lot less stupid than 'running backs are a dime a dozen' or 'we can pick up any RB in the 2nd or 3rd round' or that 'we got A Train' or 'just offer Smith a 3rd rounder and get fukked' posts. Even though I don't think 'we must have Turner'.

Turner was picked in the 5th round.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turner was picked in the 5th round.

That was brilliant. Thanks, I didn't know that. So I guess every pick in the 4th and 3rd and especially 2nd and 1st rounds is much better than him in the last 4 years. Or maybe it doesn't matter who you draft or when you draft them, they are all the same. Or is it, once a 5th rounder always a 5th rounder. Or maybe we should totally forget about picking RBs in the first 4 rounds because the really good ones are all found in the 5th round. Why waste a #1 or #2 pick on Turner when you can just wait and get a guy just like him in the 5th round. Actually, since we don't have a 5th round pick this year, do you think any team would be willing to part with their 5th rounder for our 3rd or 4th rounder, so we can be in position to pick up the next Michael Turner? What are you trying to say, other than nothing?

The thinking is that Smith wants to end up with three picks in the first two rounds of this year's draft, so that the team can fill needs at receiver, safety, linebacker, and guard with guys who are ready to play right now.

He wants 3 picks to draft 4 players?

How is he gonna pull that one off? :unsure:

"Guess I'd better get a new hat"

-Bullwinkle J. Moose

For those of you willing to part with our 1st or 2nd pick plus, Let me just say I'm glad you're not our GM. (Boy I hope that one of you isn't Marv in disguise.) The going rate for a starting RB has already been established as a 3rd (see the McGahee deal). While Turner may have low miles and back up the leagues top RB, he isn't as established as a WM. Offering more than what we received in return for WM would be a mistake. If the Titan's want to overpay let them. I'd be willing to part with our 3rd or be just as happy to see us select a RB with that pick.

For those of you willing to part with our 1st or 2nd pick plus, Let me just say I'm glad you're not our GM. (Boy I hope that one of you isn't Marv in disguise.) The going rate for a starting RB has already been established as a 3rd (see the McGahee deal). While Turner may have low miles and back up the leagues top RB, he isn't as established as a WM. Offering more than what we received in return for WM would be a mistake. If the Titan's want to overpay let them. I'd be willing to part with our 3rd or be just as happy to see us select a RB with that pick.

Last year, what was the going rate for Reggie Bush, Lawrence Maroney, Deangelo williams and Joseph Addai?

What is the current going rate for Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch?

Mr. Wilson, glad to have you here. I know you're busy, but when you're sitting at your office you should drop by now and again, I think you'd find it interesting (and certainly amusing) and you could sure teach us a thing or two.

I'm not sure anyone (or certainly not many) here suggested a #1 AND a #2 for Turner, though some have suggested that for Peterson. I agree with you that's just too much for either of them.

But, and I know it's late for a man of your age, I'm wondering if you've forgotten to taken your meds, or perhaps you haven't had your tea and crumpets yet, but something is clearly wrong. To suggest McGahee is has "established" the going rate for ANY back on the market is, well, just plain stupid.

Turner's price will keep coming down

It's a buyers market. Only 2 teams are really interested in Turner, us and Tennessee. If Tennessee want's to overpay, let them Otherwise I'd wait until right before the draft. Let them sweat, if neither us nor Tennessee makes a deal before the draft they'll get nervous. Turner is an UFA next year and they won't get anything for him then. When they realize getting less than what they wanted is better than getting nothing at all, they'll make the trade

Before the draft I'd offer the 3 picks we got from Baltimore. If they turn it down, wait again until we're on the clock at #12. Even better if Peterson is still on the board because then we could probablyl talk them down some more :unsure:

CHARGERS WILLING TO TAKE LESS THAN A FIRST-ROUNDER FOR TURNER?

An industry source tells us that the San Diego Chargers might be willing to accept a trade proposal for running back Michael Turner that includes less than a first-round pick.

Though Turner is tendered as a restricted free agent at the highest possible level, which would require compensation in the amount of a first-round pick and a third-round pick, no one is expected to give up that much for a guy who'll be unrestricted in 2008.

Per the source, G.M. A.J. Smith could be ready to accept a second-round pick this year and a second-round pick or a third-round pick in 2008 for Turner's rights.

The thinking is that Smith wants to end up with three picks in the first two rounds of this year's draft, so that the team can fill needs at receiver, safety, linebacker, and guard with guys who are ready to play right now.

Turner has visited the Titans and the Bills this week

I would be happier than a pig in his own feces if we got Turner for a 2nd! Then we could draft P.Willie in rd one, and we would be stacked!

Do people here understand the term haggle? 15 shekels you must be joking.

If this source is correct, then a 2nd this year & a 2nd/3rd next is what SD are willing to take. It is their asking price now. Just as when you go to a used car dealer there is an asking price on their cars. Nobody pays the asking price unless they have no time to haggle.

After a good haggle I wouldn't be surprised with swapping 2nds & a 3rd next year......or simply 3rd & 3rd.

We may not have been endeared to WM but the media/league still considered him a top talent......hence his deal. Turner IMO will not eclipse the WM trade. NYJ(Jones) & Ravens(WM) did not wait to see how the Turner situation panned out. Why? The Jets are paying Jones 5mil a year & the Ravens close to 6mil(top 5 RB numbers).

Turner is still unproven & therefore will garner a lower trade than Jones & WM. At worst it will be on par with those 2 trades.

BTW, swapping 1sts is worth (according to the value chart) the equivalent of the #1 pick in the second round.

Mr. Wilson, glad to have you here. I know you're busy, but when you're sitting at your office you should drop by now and again, I think you'd find it interesting (and certainly amusing) and you could sure teach us a thing or two.

I'm not sure anyone (or certainly not many) here suggested a #1 AND a #2 for Turner, though some have suggested that for Peterson. I agree with you that's just too much for either of them.

But, and I know it's late for a man of your age, I'm wondering if you've forgotten to taken your meds, or perhaps you haven't had your tea and crumpets yet, but something is clearly wrong. To suggest McGahee is has "established" the going rate for ANY back on the market is, well, just plain stupid.

The "Dean"??? What are you the "dean" of, ill informed overopinionated shortsighted web posters? Before commenting again, why don't you have your 7 year old sister reread my post and then have her S L O W L Y explain it to you. I didn't suggest posters were suggesting we were offering our 1st and 2nd, I said our 1st OR 2nd. I've seen numerous posts suggesting we give up our 2nd and additional picks. IMO Turner's value will continue to come down and we'll be able to get Turner for a 3rd and a later day 2 pick.

To think that the McGahee trade didn't establish a reference point for a starting running backs value is absolute nonsense. You can also look to the Thomas Jones trade. All the Jets did was swap 2nd's. McGahee at the very least would rank in the top 15-20 RB's. Based on Turner's career accomplishments, if you put Turner above that level you've had too many Tootsie Rolls and Kool-aid and it's time for you to lie down and take your nap young man.

Thanks for reminding me about my meds. I just took a couple "blue pills" and now it's time for my 24 year old Swedish nurse to give me my sponge bath. Don't wait up.

For anyone thinking that Turner will walk for nothing next year, you do realize that the NFL grants compensatory picks for free agents that don't resign, right? The Chargers will wind up with a 3rd rounder if they decide to keep Turner and let him walk after the upcoming season. Anything less than that as a possible trade is just plain laughable.

AJ Smith doesn't BS. He is BY FAR the best GM in the NFL right now. As Bills Fans, you should know this guys eye for talent. Regardless of what anyone wants to think, AJ is in the catbirds seat. There are AT LEAST three teams bidding on Turner as we speak, so anything less than a first is going to fall on deaf ears at Charger Park. Forget swapping picks- it ain't happening. AJ has stated publicly that if the price isn't right, he will let MT walk next year without compensation (aside from the compensatory 3rd round pick). San Diego is built to win a Super Bowl NOW. They have no reason to sell off players on the cheap, as a Michael Turner could mean the difference if the unspeakable happened and LT were injured.

The Chargers WILL get a #1 should they decide to trade him. If you don't want that #1 to be a Bills pick, so be it. I will say that the guy is the REAL DEAL, and part of what makes him attractive is the fact that he has proven to be a pro's pro off the field as well as on. The guy is a consummate team player, hard worker, model citizen, ROLE MODEL. The team that winds up with him is going to be very happy.

Personally, as a Chargers Fan, I hope we keep him. The guy is the ULTIMATE insurance policy to the best back in the NFL. Either way, I feel MT's immediate future will be decided within the next few days.

Good luck to the Bills in '07.

For anyone thinking that Turner will walk for nothing next year, you do realize that the NFL grants compensatory picks for free agents that don't resign, right? The Chargers will wind up with a 3rd rounder if they decide to keep Turner and let him walk after the upcoming season. Anything less than that as a possible trade is just plain laughable.

AJ Smith doesn't BS. He is BY FAR the best GM in the NFL right now. As Bills Fans, you should know this guys eye for talent. Regardless of what anyone wants to think, AJ is in the catbirds seat. There are AT LEAST three teams bidding on Turner as we speak, so anything less than a first is going to fall on deaf ears at Charger Park. Forget swapping picks- it ain't happening. AJ has stated publicly that if the price isn't right, he will let MT walk next year without compensation (aside from the compensatory 3rd round pick). San Diego is built to win a Super Bowl NOW. They have no reason to sell off players on the cheap, as a Michael Turner could mean the difference if the unspeakable happened and LT were injured.

The Chargers WILL get a #1 should they decide to trade him. If you don't want that #1 to be a Bills pick, so be it. I will say that the guy is the REAL DEAL, and part of what makes him attractive is the fact that he has proven to be a pro's pro off the field as well as on. The guy is a consummate team player, hard worker, model citizen, ROLE MODEL. The team that winds up with him is going to be very happy.

Personally, as a Chargers Fan, I hope we keep him. The guy is the ULTIMATE insurance policy to the best back in the NFL. Either way, I feel MT's immediate future will be decided within the next few days.

Good luck to the Bills in '07.

:unsure: