WGR's self-promotion and "number one ranking"

zonabb

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree with most of your points, it is slightly arrogant to say "get your sports new from the internet or satelite [sic] radio".

Dean, I appreciate your posts and Bob is Good, so with that said...

I AM slightly arrogant. I get annoyed by dumb people and am not afraid to express that fact. Its the reason I refuse to open any thread written by IEatCrayons.

While I have often heard Schoop hang up on people who were "off topic" more often I hear him hang up on people who sound like complete idiots. I am thankful that he is preventing me from having to hear them any longer.

Keep in mind, they run on a 7 second delay... seven more seconds for the radio host to hear stupidity coming from a caller that once cut off we the listener never hear.

You forgot Howard Simon in between John Murphy and the Bulldog. :thumbsup:

Ooops you are correct. I knew that too.

I think back fondly to the evenings as kid, after I had been sent to bed by my parents, laying in bed with my little transister AM radio tucked under my ear listening to One-on-One sports.

Dean, I appreciate your posts and Bob is Good, so with that said...

I AM slightly arrogant. I get annoyed by dumb people and am not afraid to express that fact. Its the reason I refuse to open any thread written by IEatCrayons.

While I have often heard Schoop hang up on people who were "off topic" more often I hear him hang up on people who sound like complete idiots. I am thankful that he is preventing me from having to hear them any longer.

Keep in mind, they run on a 7 second delay... seven more seconds for the radio host to hear stupidity coming from a caller that once cut off we the listener never hear.

Excellent, me too.

Actually, I meant the argument "go pay for something else" is an arrogant argument in the defense of the poor quality of over-the-air broadcast stations.

Howard Simon (at least when he was on the FM station) really represented the BEST of what sports talk radio should be, IMO. Dunno how his WGR stint is going.

Yeah, at this particular moment in time. Give you a little smoke and a little joke and there's no telling how long it will take for this to be a lie.

Why throw cold water on the thread?

Sabres PR, I mean WGR, has been reduced to nothing more than a bunch of glorified cheerleaders for the Sabres. I think the topic of todays morning show is "who is the hottest Sabre?," followed by the afternoon show (which Sabres penis would you touch?" Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Sabres fan myself. But, the bias they have when covering the Sabres in relation to the Bills is staggering in its blatant disregard for the seemingly outdated journalistic principle of evenhandedness.

Further, Mike Schopp is a pompous arrogant condescending prick. Now, it is possible that his producers tell him to show disdain to any callers that don't share his point of view, but that would just make a whore to his network, as well as an arrogant prick. The Bulldog is a lackey, and the show in general is a farce.

One quick stipulation: Schopp does have some sports IQ, as he can be insightful when breaking down games. However, that trait is overrided by his other obnoxious characteristics.

WGR = WEEI

Which Entercom owns as well, I believe. Nostradamus, what you post is exactly what WEEI in Boston is all about.

This is what always kills me.... The Sabres are in first place in the NHL, they have just had one of the most exciting seasons in the teams history, they have scored over 300 goals and have 6 (and maybe 8 by the end of the weekend) 20 goal scorers, yet people are always complaining that the GR cheerleads for the Sabes. If all they did was criticize them (for what?) you would be bitching that they are too hard on the Sabres.

THEY ARE RADIO TALK SHOW HOSTS NOT JOURNALISTS!!!! Their whole job is to ENTERTAIN and talk about sports. If you want pure sports "journalism" go read the Hockey News (no Bias there)

I grew listening to Stan Baren, followed by John Murphy and then the Buldog on WBEN talking sports on One-On-One Sports. There will never (in this town or anywhere I imagine) be great sports talk like that any more.

Is Schoop arrogant? HELL YES. He drives me nuts, I used to really enjoy him on WNSA, but the audience there was different. No offense, but WGR, like most radio stations appeals to the lowest common denominator. Piss people off, they'll listen cause they hate you...make people laugh, they listen because you entertain them.

This is a new "flavor" of talk radio (not just sports) and since it sells advertising, its not going to go away.

And you do have a choice.... don't listen.... get your sports news from the internet or satelite radio

The main problem I have with them is at least once a week Schoop & Bulldog have to do a show in someway comparing the Sabres to the bills & basically making the bills look bad. Obviously this town is in an uproar for the sabres, but if the bills had a season like the sabres(which would be equilvalent to 15-1, #1 seed in the entire playoffs) you would not hear a peep out of this town about the sabres until football season was over. That is my big complaint with them, plus schoop is a no it all.

Great post..I don't understand what the need is to talk football every single minute of the day...and especially when you consider the fact the Bills right now are down...BIG time..

It's like in NYC...the Knicks were THE TALK of the town in the early-mid 90's...why? THEY WON...now they are an embarassment...now baseball rules the roost...think the Yankees 4 titles in 5 years in the late 90's, 2000, have anything to do with that?

Going 7-9 with a young up & coming team is not being down BIG time.

I listen to WGR quite often and it is a very good station. Howard/White, Shoop/Bulldog, and Brad Riter are all quality shows with good content and flow.

They talk about the sabres because PEOPLE ACTUALLY CARE about the sabres...hello people, they have sold out this whole season and they are actually interesting. Unlike the bills who cant sell out home games anymore. Im a big bills fan (and season ticket holder) and I support them no matter what...but id rather hear about the sabres, this time of year especially. When something becomes FACT...WGR reports it and talks about it....But they dont gush over little rumors and spend hours talking about the same CRAP like these message boards...

Most of you probably come to this board to get your sports news..and i find that comical..

I know for a fact that most of you genius posters couldnt hold their microphones for them...its tough to fill 4 hours with content that is interesting and that will appeal to a lot of people. How bout you actually stop hating and listen...schoop may sound like an over opinionated jerk..but he is usually right!

Advice: Listen to Brad Riter at night..he is hillarous and his opinions are usually right on. He never over reacts.

Ooops you are correct. I knew that too.

I think back fondly to the evenings as kid, after I had been sent to bed by my parents, laying in bed with my little transister AM radio tucked under my ear listening to One-on-One sports.

I used to love Monday Night Quarterback with Murph & Larry Felser.

You never mistyped anything???? Thanks for the English lesson. You really are schoop arent you?

I mistype all the time. But you have to admit the irony of calling someone a "Know it all" and spelling it wrong was funny. No offense meant.

Going 7-9 with a young up & coming team is not being down BIG time.

:thumbsup::unsure::unsure:

They have been young up & coming since 2000. How many times do you think Nate Clements heard that they were 'on the cusp' in his six years here? People criticized him for going to a loser like the 49ers....Look at the Bills!!! This is not a winning franchise at the moment.

I used to love Monday Night Quarterback with Murph & Larry Felser.

Me too. I have to say I felt pretty bad when I joined this board and saw how hard and downright mean people were about Larry Felser.

I used to love listening to him. This was before the internet and it was such a great source of news about the league.

The main problem I have with them is at least once a week Schoop & Bulldog have to do a show in someway comparing the Sabres to the bills & basically making the bills look bad. Obviously this town is in an uproar for the sabres, but if the bills had a season like the sabres(which would be equilvalent to 15-1, #1 seed in the entire playoffs) you would not hear a peep out of this town about the sabres until football season was over. That is my big complaint with them, plus schoop is a no it all.

Schoop has complained on the air many times about the Bills front office not treating WGR/him fairly(without going into any detail). Therefore, he S-H-I-T-S all over the NFL and the Bills every chance he gets, yet he waxes poetically about his beloved baseball. His caller interaction is about as bad as it gets. I've said it before...he is a condescending prick on the air.

I am still waiting for the day when he is hired by either ESPN Radio or a city that has a MLB team(and if it was up to him that city would not have an NFL team).

:thumbsup::unsure::unsure:

They have been young up & coming since 2000. How many times do you think Nate Clements heard that they were 'on the cusp' in his six years here? People criticized him for going to a loser like the 49ers....Look at the Bills!!! This is not a winning franchise at the moment.

Hey all Clements had to do was knock down that pass against Jacksonville in the opener a few years ago & the bills would of been well on their way to the playoffs. Clements should look in the mirror before throwing any stones as to why the bills have not made the playoffs in the last 5 years.

Hey all Clements had to do was knock down that pass against Jacksonville in the opener a few years ago & the bills would of been well on their way to the playoffs. Clements should look in the mirror before throwing any stones as to why the bills have not made the playoffs in the last 5 years.

Where was it suggested Clements threw stones?