NEED

DB-94

The terrible truth.

But teams have to scuffle along at some position, may as well be a little guy spot.

I disagree. Reed would be grabbed up pretty fast. He really played well for us last year. People need to forget about Reeds past years where he had the case of the dropsies. He was rock solid and snagged some big third down grabs last year. To me he is a perfect slot receiver. Not too mention he probably is the best person on the team as far as breaking tackles is concerned.

I think We are going to get Turner so keep in mind this post is after we filled the RB position.

When I look at this Team the greatest need is at WR. The collection of Price, Reed, or whoever else they have scares no one and D's can key on Evans. Especially when there is no threat at the TE position. We lost some Line backers but we have good young players that are going to step up in Crowell and Ellison and we can get one with a second or third round pick.

-So our first round pick should be The Best WR on the Board

Remember my post>>>

I say:

1) Bills trade Baltimore's three, next year's Baltimore three and next year's six for Michael Turner right before the draft.

2) Trade down to GB's #16 and get the extra thirds back for this year and next year

1- Draft WR Robert Meachem (that's right--WR! He will make an impact this year at some point.)

2- Draft LB Justin Durant out of Hampton (Bills' love small schools...might be #3 best linebacker)

3- Draft CB Daymeion Hughes (Cal player maybe ex-Cal coach Marv likes)

3- Draft Andy Alleman OG (sleeper pick)

Marv now fills all the thin positions with two trades.

I think this fills all our needs well and we get some solid players.

Wow. I really hope we don't go WR in the 1st. There is no WR with the impact of Willis, and I consider our need at LB to be much greater than our need at WR. While getting a bigger possession receiver would be cool too, I think that Price, Reed, and Roscoe all have upside and working with JP in the second year of the offense behind a better line should really help. One play does not make a receiver, but with the catch Price made against Houston and the catch Roscoe made against Jax, both for victories, and having Lee as a bonified #1, I don't see WR as in the same planet as LB or RB in terms of need.

I disagree strongly, which is why I always have three or four players on the board. We have three or four positions needing help now. That is LB, WR, RB, CB. There are eight to twelve "blue chippers" on the board. WR Johnson, QB Russell, RB Peterson.LB Willis, DT Okoye and Branch. Tackle Joe Thomas and CB LaRon Landry. Johnson, Russell, and Thomas and PROBABLY Peterson will not last. However some of the others will slip down to us. I know how we feel about drafting CB's and the feeling that maybe this free agency aquisition firms up our defensive line...but I gotta say if any of the blue chippers fall to us in positions of need...go for him. Okoye is a franchise player who we can't let go. If he's not the one I'd have to go with Landry as the best at the spot, and I'm not sure about Willis being able to make it at the next level. If NO blue chippers are available in a position of need...trade down and go for the best player available at the spot in one of the areas of need. Meachem at WR, Lynch at RB, maybe even Wade of Tennessee depending on how low down in the first round we end up.

The only way the Bills draft a WR in the first round this year is if we plan on not re-signing Lee within 2 years (wouldn't that suck?) or Calvin Johnson falls to #12 (Not going to happen). Otherwise I would officially declare the Bills staff insane from that point forward. There is no reason for a single team in today's NFL to have 2 legit round 1 WR's starting (and getting paid) on their team, unless one is half way out the door to retirement. There are always going to be other areas of need that outweigh picking something you already have, especially with all the turnover on teams. If we were picking closer to the end of the draft order, maybe.

i d rather have a dominating TE than 2 wr s .. thats our weakness in the receiving game ,, but the only legitamate threat is olsen.. someone else might be out there but no one im aware of ,,get turner this yr ,,,the te next ,, too many wrs that can step in, and hopefully step up ,, but no way they pick a wr over patrick willis if he s there....

The only way the Bills draft a WR in the first round this year is if we plan on not re-signing Lee within 2 years (wouldn't that suck?) or Calvin Johnson falls to #12 (Not going to happen). Otherwise I would officially declare the Bills staff insane from that point forward. There is no reason for a single team in today's NFL to have 2 legit round 1 WR's starting (and getting paid) on their team, unless one is half way out the door to retirement. There are always going to be other areas of need that outweigh picking something you already have, especially with all the turnover on teams. If we were picking closer to the end of the draft order, maybe.

Good post. It's a luxury the Bills cannot afford. The idea of spreading the ball around to Evans, Reed, Price, Parrish is plausible to me. I think Marv is thinking about pass-catching for whatever RB also. As for TE, we can hope.

We get way better bang for draft buck at other positions, I think.

I can't argue with that logic.

I disagree strongly, which is why I always have three or four players on the board. We have three or four positions needing help now. That is LB, WR, RB, CB. There are eight to twelve "blue chippers" on the board. WR Johnson, QB Russell, RB Peterson.LB Willis, DT Okoye and Branch. Tackle Joe Thomas and CB LaRon Landry. Johnson, Russell, and Thomas and PROBABLY Peterson will not last. However some of the others will slip down to us. I know how we feel about drafting CB's and the feeling that maybe this free agency aquisition firms up our defensive line...but I gotta say if any of the blue chippers fall to us in positions of need...go for him. Okoye is a franchise player who we can't let go. If he's not the one I'd have to go with Landry as the best at the spot, and I'm not sure about Willis being able to make it at the next level. If NO blue chippers are available in a position of need...trade down and go for the best player available at the spot in one of the areas of need. Meachem at WR, Lynch at RB, maybe even Wade of Tennessee depending on how low down in the first round we end up.

You guys dont get it. Trade downs are not easy. There has to be a special player on the board. last year, a trade down would of been possible because Leinart & Cutler were both still on the board. This year Im not so sure teams are going to be clamoring up to get to that 12 spot. & if they are, chances are one of the blue chippers that you mentioned would probably still be available. In that case we should probably stay put & grab the player available from your list.

I disagree. Reed would be grabbed up pretty fast. He really played well for us last year.

I was harsh... I actually pull for Reed.

If he were cut, teams would be looking at him as a number three. But would they find him that interesting, especially with a draft coming up ? A small, slowish possession reciever who had a spell of drops not so long ago.

He was critical on third downs last year for us (which may say more about the Bills RB's, TE's and WR's than it does about him).

That being said, I hope he has a big, big year in '07.

-So our first round pick should be The Best WR on the Board

Has anyone seen, or heard from, Bill in NYC? I'm afraid reading this post may have caused him to have a heart attack. :rolleyes:

None of us know what Marv will do, but I'd bet he goes D (LB or DB) in Rd #1.

This receiving corps is FINE if used properly (we do need TE help, however) and we desperately need LB help. I could also see a possibility of DT if Amobi Okoye is there, but the last trade seems to make that a little less likely.

Now, as mentioned earlier, if they don't plan to re-sign Evans (a huge mistake, IMO) then, I guess it's a possibility...but, a long shot.

How many dominating WR's did SD have last season? How about NE? Or maybe CHI and NO? Sure, Indy had two excellent ones, but they're the exception. Antonio Gates lost some TDs to a guy like LT, but you win with balance. Having a balanced offense that maximizes the players on that side of the ball is vital, or defenses key in on your strengths. The days of having Andre Reed line up next to James Lofton are few and far between.

On defense you win in the trenches. Same as for the offense. But on defense we need some speedy playmaking types right now. Hopefully Willis is there because we've got 1, maybe 2 NFL caliber linebackers on the roster right now. DJ is defense first. And second. He holds sway over Marv and they'll try to win with defense like he did in Chicago back in 2001. Defense first, offense second. It's the head coaches way.

I suppose if Denny Green or Matt Millen were running the draft for the Bills WR might be a bigger need than LB. Thankfully neither of them are. As someone stated earlier there is no need to have that many stud WRs on one roster. This isn't fantasy football.

I agree with your point about us picking a WR early in the round because I think we can find a solid WR later in the draft.

But I disagree with your point about no team having a reason to have 2 legit 1st rnd WR's. The COLTS have Harrison and Wayne, both first rounders. Marv has alot of respect for Polian and I would imagine he would attempt to emulate alot of what he has done.

Sorry, totally disagree (respectfully)...

I think the team needs are:

LB - Need at least one starter and also need to add depth

CB - Need to at a player who will become a starter and depth

RB - Need a starter, but A. Thomas starting is better than Wire starting at LB or not having another CB

TE

FB/WR/S

This does not mean that we will draft in this order but these are the team needs.

I would not be surprised if we do not draft a WR at all either day 1 or day 2. Definitely no Day 1 WR.

My opinion.

This post is pretty darned close. The passing game improves by giving the QB better protection (which we've done) and actually having a running game (which we have done by upping the OL and ripping off the Ravens).

This group of WR's is just fine until next year. Unless, of course Marv can find another Andre (wasn't he a 6th ?).

Reed would be signed in five minutes...what are you talking about? He is very solid for a #3. He had a good year. Marv did right by extending him.

Agreed... and Price, he had 49 receptions in his first year back with Buffalo; Price is a legitimate #2.

And lets not forget, Marv is a fan of utilizing his TE and RB... Thurman averaged about 50 - 60 receptions per year, during his prime.