Patrick Willis love-fest is alive and well

I have watched clips if Willis and read the combine results and yes, I am blown away by what I saw (or little of what I saw)...now I understand Poz now sucks, is undersized and was probably lucky to even win any awards, and is a smaller Shane Conlan and Marv should NEVER consider him ;) but I digress...

Anyone here who can give some info about Willis who watched him live I would be interested to hear what you have to say...I am not an expert on this player by any means...

After re-watching the Senior Bowl a couple of times a few days ago and concentrating on Willis, I think he is going to be a very good overall player and is likely worthy of a top 20 pick. I see him as being a better version of London Fletcher, who will be really, really good at plays against the run outside the tackles and eventually in pass coverage. On interior running plays, I'm not sure he's the destroyer that many believe. He's not particularly physical when taking on blockers, and while he did make a couple of nice tackles inside, he also let the RB come to him a few times instead of attacking and dropping him for a loss.

I'll readily admit that it may have been a function of playing in that particular game and I'm hoping I can find my recording of the Ole Miss-Arkansas game to verify. I did, however, notice a major difference in the way he and Buster Davis played the interior run in that game, with Davis seemingly much more aggressive. That's not to say Davis is necessarily better at it, just an interesting observation.

Admittedly I did not see much of Willis in College...I respect Mike Mayock a whole lot and He pretty much raved about Willis when He got to Him during His Overall Rankings Last Night on NFL.com...Mayock has Willis as the #1 Rated ILB, but has him sloted somewhere around #20 Overall...So while He definitely raved about Wills for the most part, He has Him Rated about 8 spots down on the Draft Board...

Mayock basically said Willis is freakishly fast for a LB, plays from the Inside out, and has good recognition. His only knock on Willis was that He gets eaten up by Bigger O-Linemen at times, but that seems to be the story with just about every LB coming out...Overall He seemed very high on Willis and considers Him to be a Starting Calibre LB out of the gate...

I have never seen one game of him.

Hence the reason I'm not in the Willis love fest camp like some are.

But I have seen Poz play and he is a very very sound Backer that I wouldn't mind having on this team. BUT and I mean BUT, I'm not sure he is the best fit for a Cover 2 defense.

Willis reminds me of all the Bunkley talk last year on this board. A bunch of people just clinging to a name and not really knowing much of the person. He turned out real well didn't he. Thats why I trust Marv and not the posters when it comes down to the actual pick.

After re-watching the Senior Bowl a couple of times a few days ago and concentrating on Willis, I think he is going to be a very good overall player and is likely worthy of a top 20 pick. I see him as being a better version of London Fletcher, who will be really, really good at plays against the run outside the tackles and eventually in pass coverage. On interior running plays, I'm not sure he's the destroyer that many believe. He's not particularly physical when taking on blockers, and while he did make a couple of nice tackles inside, he also let the RB come to him a few times instead of attacking and dropping him for a loss.

I'll readily admit that it may have been a function of playing in that particular game and I'm hoping I can find my recording of the Ole Miss-Arkansas game to verify. I did, however, notice a major difference in the way he and Buster Davis played the interior run in that game, with Davis seemingly much more aggressive. That's not to say Davis is necessarily better at it, just an interesting observation.

For some reason in the Senior Bowl, he seemed to get the most series of anyone on either team. And I thought he was FAR too easy to block inside by the players at that slower speed and skill level; if based on that game alone I'd have some real apprehesions about his name being called on the 12th pick in the draft.

Plus he appears to be a natural 225 pounder.

After re-watching the Senior Bowl a couple of times a few days ago and concentrating on Willis, I think he is going to be a very good overall player and is likely worthy of a top 20 pick.

The 49er's coaching staff coached Willis at the Senior Bowl and they have a big need at LB. From what I have read they were highly impressed with Willis.

At his pro workout last week he ran a 4.37 40 yd. dash. That's a freakin' middle linebacker!

I strongly suspect SF will pick him at #11 if available.

For some reason in the Senior Bowl, he seemed to get the most series of anyone on either team. And I thought he was FAR too easy to block inside by the players at that slower speed and skill level; if based on that game alone I'd have some real apprehesions about his name being called on the 12th pick in the draft.

I posted a much more thorough (and critical) review of him within another thread here a few days ago. I was beginning to believe I was the only one who saw it.

I do think he's going to be a very good overall player, but just not that guy who can shut down another team's interior running game. Seems fairly ordinary in that regard.

You're such a negative nancy.

BTW, what's in store for draft day? I know you guys have some sort of all out shindig planned, right? One of these days, I'll actually get to see for myself.

You're such a negative nancy.

Even if as a kid I though Pollyanna was hot?

BTW, what's in store for draft day? I know you guys have some sort of all out shindig planned, right? One of these days, I'll actually get to see for myself.

It's working out this way:

Held at our regular game spot; Busby's at 3110 Santa Monica Blvd. in Santa Monica.

Big Bob Lamb will be managing the draft board with assistance from one of the St. Pauli Girls. (We'll get him a bib.)

Buffalo Wing Specials and of course, St. Pauli draft specials.

Kelly The Dog and myself will be setting up online draft reports on screens in the bar.

A pin the tail on Joe Theisman contest at some point at least 4 hours into the event.

Open to the public- and the crowd will definitely include Bill's player family members.

If you want to make a run, there's still an unclaimed bed at our place 2 blocks from the bar. There's also a Day's Inn a block away. It might get ugly- but I guess that depends upon your threshold ;-)

Oddly, I'll just be back earlier that week from New Orleans. We're just now using the credit for our last planned visit! I'll make sure to spend some time at the Acme Oyster House for you- mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

How many guys make it to TBD tailgates? I went to a game for the first time last season and I missed you guys. I had a great time. Though I do have to say, the parking lot was a little gloomy (I was there for the Falcons game). It was different from tailgating here on campus but I had a blast. I love the fact that our fans are so passionate. My roomates went to a gentlemans club in Canada and saw TKO there. I guess women are bad for the legs like they say because he tore his achilles that game! I was miserable on the drive home.