hope all you teacher-hating, union-hating neanderthals enjoy:

jester43

What's your point? They're going to be replaced by entry level personnel at entry-level wages, hence not the millionaire teachers you and others are decrying. :D And from a pool of over 40 times as many applicants as available positions, they should have the opportunity to make good hires.

No, his point is...well...it's...uhh...

Lurker...what was your point, anwyay? :lol:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my mother's school district, a teacher with 25 years, a masters plus 32 credits earns roughly $65k a year. And consider they only work 9 months out of the year, that's a pretty damn good deal for a GUARANTEED job.

You'll never hear me crying about how hard teachers have it.

if it's that easy and so well paying, why dont you jump on it as a career?

Because I have a job, a child and do not have a 4-year degree.

Thanks for the in-depth answer.

:D

yeah...but you've had that teacher under your belt for the last quarter century!...didn't you learn anything from her or him?

Come to think of it..isn't it uncomfortable to pee with that teacher there? :lol:

What's your point? They're going to be replaced by entry level personnel at entry-level wages, hence not the millionaire teachers you and others are decrying. :D And from a pool of over 40 times as many applicants as available positions, they should have the opportunity to make good hires.

I guess my point is that it must be a pretty good gig to have that much labor supply. If the labor demand wasn't artificially constrained (by labor contracts and tenure), the debate over "millionaire teachers" would be nonexistent. Just like in 90%-plus of the private sector.

I also wonder how many of the 1,300+ candidates turned away from Hamburg would make better teachers than the 5% of any faculty who've mailed it in (a figure that, interestingly enough, comes from a 1997 survey by the American Federation of Teachers who found that roughly 5% of teachers nationwide were rated “poor” by their peers)?

I'm not slagging the vast majority of good, hard working teachers--but it's always troubled me that poor teachers can continue to hang on year after year--since disciplinary cases against tenured employees take an average of 319 days to complete and cost taxpayers $94,527 (per research by the National School Boards Association)--when there are literally 50-60 qualified candidates lined up for every job who may be better trained, more committed AND less expensive from a taxpayer perspective.

Flame On!

Because I have a job, a child and do not have a 4-year degree.

Thanks for the in-depth answer.

:lol:

So in other words you dont qualify for that well paid, easy, baby sitting job.

funny. you call belittle teachers by calling them glorified babysitters, but when your kid turns into a !@#$ up, you'll be the first one screaming that it was the teachers fault they didnt train your little !@#$ up properly.

How in the hell do you know that? Exactly the opposite genius. Is your assumption based on your own f'd up family? Eat sh-- ahole

So in other words you dont qualify for that well paid, easy, baby sitting job.

A college degree doesn't guarantee "qualification," IMO. If you saw half the people who teach in my wife's school, you'd agree with me. Hell, most of 'em can't spell or pronounce simple English words correctly.

Teachers aren't saints, far from it.

Ever heard the old maxim, "Those who cannot do...teach?" It was written for a reason.

A college degree doesn't guarantee "qualification," IMO. If you saw half the people who teach in my wife's school, you'd agree with me. Hell, most of 'em can't spell or pronounce simple English words correctly.

Teachers aren't saints, far from it.

Ever heard the old maxim, "Those who cannot do...teach?" It was written for a reason.

No, but it still does require a degree, some states like NY also require an advanced degree (Master's). I'm well aware of the shortage of qualified teachers, but this has to be related to salary and working conditions. Almost no one wants to enter a profession that is so denigrated. Teachers work overtime, but don't get paid overtime. Teachers take the blame for the way parents bring ( or dont) up their children. As far as "Those who cannot do" How 'bout this one Teaching is the profession that teaches all the other professions.

I'm well aware of the shortage of qualified teachers, but this has to be related to salary and working conditions.

It HAS to be? Says who?

Almost no one wants to enter a profession that is so denigrated.

Really? I know a couple people going back to school to get their teachers' cert. You want denigrated? Work in tech support.

Teachers work overtime, but don't get paid overtime.

Uh, what? Teachers work a 8AM-3PM job. The only teachers that have homework, papers, whatever are middle/secondary teachers. And even they can go on autopilot after a few years.

Teachers take the blame for the way parents bring (or dont) up their children.

That may be the case, but you expect me to feel pity for them? They work less than the average salaried office-type person, have a MUCH greater range of independence in their work, have superior benefits and a work "year" that's 3/4ths that of someone in the business world. They can SUCK IT UP.

As far as "Those who cannot do" How 'bout this one Teaching is the profession that teaches all the other professions.

Nifty. If it was at all true. Think back to what you learned in high school. Use any of it? How often do you diagram sentences? Solve differential equations? Figure out what electron goes where? Speak any German lately?

COLLEGE PROFESSORS have a far greater impact on their students than primary/secondary teachers do, over the long run.

I'm not going to get into a p!ssing contest over this with you. You obviously have some issues about teachers. Your statements about benefits and work load are uninformed and off the mark. I'm not sure how one goes on autopilot to read the equivilant of a novel a night (homework). Great range of independence? Ever hear of Regents or Advanced Placement courses? As far as College professors having more influence, well, as you said, you lack a degree so what are you basing this opinion on? Besides, those college professors were High School Students at one time. I guess the professors "cant do" either, becasue they "teach"

It HAS to be? Says who?

Really? I know a couple people going back to school to get their teachers' cert. You want denigrated? Work in tech support.

Uh, what? Teachers work a 8AM-3PM job. The only teachers that have homework, papers, whatever are middle/secondary teachers. And even they can go on autopilot after a few years.

That may be the case, but you expect me to feel pity for them? They work less than the average salaried office-type person, have a MUCH greater range of independence in their work, have superior benefits and a work "year" that's 3/4ths that of someone in the business world. They can SUCK IT UP.

Nifty. If it was at all true. Think back to what you learned in high school. Use any of it? How often do you diagram sentences? Solve differential equations? Figure out what electron goes where? Speak any German lately?

COLLEGE PROFESSORS have a far greater impact on their students than primary/secondary teachers do, over the long run.

Whoa...that teacher under your belt must be squeezing the cojones today!

I was taught by nuns and carmelite priests, and I gotta hand it to them as people who gave me a great basis in my education, at least as influential in my life as College and Law School professors. The nuns in particular were very rigorous and always gave you the impression you were a bright cookie (even when no one else thought so) and wouldn't accept good. I still remember my third grade teacher making us recite.."Good better best, never let it rest...till your good gets better and your better is the best" Here's to you teachers!

i was training some teachers a piece of software a few years back, and one of them stumbled upon a website showing pictures of a state and giving you multiple choice answers.

the state shown was michigan.

the choices were michigan, connecticut and one other state.

both of these teachers agreed that the state shown was connecticut.

I couldn't sleep for days afterwards.

i was training some teachers a piece of software a few years back, and one of them stumbled upon a website showing pictures of a state and giving you multiple choice answers.

...............Jesus........ :thumbsup:

Kinda makes you question the basic "the majority is always right" foundation of democracy, doesn't it? :thumbsup:

Kinda makes you question the basic "the majority is always right" foundation of democracy, doesn't it? :thumbsup:

Every friggin' day, man. Thank God the Framers understood and went "Representative Republic". A small amount of chlorine in the gene pool, that.