Jason Cole @ Yahoo Sports Busts on Bills Offseason Moves

Honestly the more I see comments like this from the 'experts' the more faith I have that Marv may really have a plan that is going to surprise them all once the games start getting played

I sent him a note suggesting exactly what you said. I told him it's not about big names...rather team chemistry and the right players for the right system. I'll let you know how he responds.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This should be motivation for our players to want to make the playoffs and prove all these so called "experts" wrong.

They are professional athletes. They dont need motivation to make the playoffs or to prove anyone wrong.If they dont want to make the playoffs they should be wearing another jersey.

Who is Jason Cole?!!! And why is he somehow credible? The internet has really destroyed journalism by giving us access to way too many hacks with little credibility.

Judging by his idiotic column and goofy picture, I'd say Jason Cole is the biggest loser.

Someone should do an article that points out the "biggest losers" when it comes to sports writers. Clearly if you're working for Yahoo Sports you've got an instant advantage.

It's ironic that he said the Bills overpaid for their three linemen but fails to mention the outrageous deal that the Pats gave to We Welker.

Someone should do an article that points out the "biggest losers" when it comes to sports writers. Clearly if you're working for Yahoo Sports you've got an instant advantage.

It's ironic that he said theBills overpaid for their three linemen but fails to mention the outrageous deal that the Pats gave to We Welker.

Adalius Thomas is overpaid as well. Hell most FA's this off-season were overpaid. That's just the nature of the beast post-new CBA.

You know it's absolutely fascinating how the Patriots can be praised, for YEARS by ESPN/Everybody, about "Not wasting money one big free agents" and/or "building a solid team through the draft" and/or "letting the players they aren't happy with go on to free agency"; AND THEN DO THE EXACT OPPOSITE THIS YEAR and have the same drooling idiots and some posters here PRAISE THEM for it.

This is the worst sort of pandering.

It is equally fascinating how the Bills have been deeply criticized for doing the opposite of the Patriots for years: roll the dice in the draft, sign decent to cast-off FAs; AND THEN DO THE EXACT OPPOSITE(minus the O Line signings - but let's face it something had to be done) and STILL BE CRITICIZED.

This is the worst sort of hypocrisy.

The bottom line here is the Bills have not made the Playoffs since the 99/00 season. Until we make the Playoffs, we can and will be criticized. The Patriots are the model in the NFL. Since 2001 they have 3 SB's, 4 AFC championship games, 5 years in the playoffs and the most wins in the NFL during that time and now w/ their additions in free agency they have only improved. Say what you want about Adalius Thomas, anything is an improvement considering their old linebakers. It's very easy to criticize the Bills and praise the Patriots because of the empirical evidence. That being said, I think Marv is doing a good job.

The bottom line here is the Bills have not made the Playoffs since the 99/00 season. Until we make the Playoffs, we can and will be criticized. The Patriots are the model in the NFL. Since 2001 they have 3 SB's, 4 AFC championship games, 5 years in the playoffs and the most wins in the NFL during that time and now w/ their additions in free agency they have only improved. Say what you want about Adalius Thomas, anything is an improvement considering their old linebakers. It's very easy to criticize the Bills and praise the Patriots because of the empirical evidence. That being said, I think Marv is doing a good job.

NEWSFLASH: The Bills changed GM and HC last year. Judging the organization now on the basis of the old regime is ignorant...but easy to do as it takes less effort. (Like holding on to a stereotype that once was helpful, but no longer rings true.)

Anyone judging the Bills moves based on their recent history, needs to start with last year. So far, the team has improved (significantly, I think) under the new management...and clearly the makeover is still in progress. So, clean the slate of the history of TD and co, as it no longer is relevant.

If an analyst is too lazy or stupid to start with a clean slate when judging the moves of the organization, I'd advise them to use the early 90's as a historical reference fro the Bills as that is more relevant to today's Bills organization than the 1999-2005 (roughly) years.

NEWSFLASH: The Bills changed GM and HC last year. Judging the organization now on the basis of the old regime is ignorant...but easy to do as it takes less effort. (Like holding on to a stereotype that once was helpful, but no longer rings true.)

Anyone judging the Bills moves based on their recent history, needs to start with last year. So far, the team has improved (significantly, I think) under the new management...and clearly the makeover is still in progress. So, clean the slate of the history of TD and co, as it no longer is relevant.

If an analyst is too lazy or stupid to start with a clean slate when judging the moves of the organization, I'd advise them to use the early 90's as a historical reference fro the Bills as that is more relevant to today's Bills organization than the 1999-2005 (roughly) years.

That was my point. The media is lazy.

i think it is time to bring back the middle finger emoticon.

Ahh Yes, the old FU smiley....that one was the best. Someone should start a thread to bring it back. I think I might have to do that.

I think the strategy has been to build a young team, to keep money available for signing the picks and to pick up players in need areas judiciously. There is a major defensive overhaul but we had a million dollar defense giving us thousand dollar performance for a good part of the season. The front seven just wasn't getting it done and we have replaced three of the front seven with Walker coming in at DT, with Ellison and Crowell. I suspect we'll see another linebacker come in with the draft and probably a corner as well, although I think Greer and Thomas will be fighting for Nate's spot.

Criticize away, pundits. Spikes, Fletcher and Clements all have great histories, but we gotta question what was left in the engines for the money we were paying. When all is said and done I'll get back to you at the end of next season to let you know how this turns out. I'm very optimistic that this will turn out well this next season, and certainly will turn out well for the season after.

The bottom line here is the Bills have not made the Playoffs since the 99/00 season. Until we make the Playoffs, we can and will be criticized. The Patriots are the model in the NFL. Since and now w/ their additions in free agency they have only improved. Say what you want about Adalius Thomas, anything is an improvement considering their old linebakers. It's very easy to criticize the Bills and praise the Patriots because of the empirical evidence. That being said, I think Marv is doing a good job.

All this is nice and may be true - but has nothing to do with my post. It is completely irrelevant.

If you are doing something poorly(Tom Donahoe) and you are getting bad results(no playoffs), you should be criticized - no doubt about it.

But according to you: if you change what your doing(Marv Levy), and you get better results(last years draft and improved record, offense coming together), you should STILL BE criticized. WTF?

The real BOTTOM line is this: we have been told for years that the MODEL the Patriots use is SUPERIOR and that's why they win. Now we are being told that, because it's the Patriots, that model is no longer good. Let me ask you this: if Bill Belechick punched one of his players in the face tomorrow would you be telling us that is ok too, since " 2001 they have 3 SB's, 4 AFC championship games, 5 years in the playoffs and the most wins in the NFL during that time"?

Of course not and why?

Because the truth is the Patriots are as likely as anyone to make a mistake. IF you think another 30 year old LB is gonna help a LB corp whose average age is 29.5(that includes the scrubs) get YOUNGER - well that's just hysterical to me. In fact, if he replaced Bant-Cain, the starting LB average age will be 31.75. Yeah what a youth movement - silly and stupid is no way to go through life.

You know it's absolutely fascinating how the Patriots can be praised, for YEARS by ESPN/Everybody, about "Not wasting money one big free agents" and/or "building a solid team through the draft" and/or "letting the players they aren't happy with go on to free agency"; AND THEN DO THE EXACT OPPOSITE THIS YEAR and have the same drooling idiots and some posters here PRAISE THEM for it.

This is the worst sort of pandering.

It is equally fascinating how the Bills have been deeply criticized for doing the opposite of the Patriots for years: roll the dice in the draft, sign decent to cast-off FAs; AND THEN DO THE EXACT OPPOSITE(minus the O Line signings - but let's face it something had to be done) and STILL BE CRITICIZED.

This is the worst sort of hypocrisy.

Dude, the Patriots won 3 Super Bowls...the Bills win one in the next 5 years, and Marv & Co. will get their "props". The Patriots got tons of bad press before winning their first.

I'm certainly not going to say that Spikes, Fletch, Clements, and McGahee were weaknesses, but they definitely were not standout Players either (with the exception of Spikes Pre-Injury)

Clements was a standout player. He did not deserve the contract he got but he was absolutely a standout player.