Is there a better 1970s band than the Ramones?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Punk music is the lowest form of music, even modern pop and hip hop takes more talent then Punk.

Which completely misses the point of punk. Punk was a reaction to the elevation of rock music as "important," formal and discerning... when it it should have remained loose, llive, experimental and dangerous, like it was in the early days of Elvis, Buddy Holly and Eddie Cochrane.

"Talent" is what gave rock and roll the 25-minute keyboard wankings of Rick Wakeman, the drum solo, and Led Zeppelin's "Presence."

If musicianship and talent is your barometer of taste, you shouldn't even be llstening to rock. Your CD changer should instead be filled with nothing but Mozart, Charlotte church, Yo Yo Ma, Charlie Parker and the Four Tenors.

Which completely misses the point of punk. Punk was a reaction to the elevation of rock music as "important," formal and discerning... when it it should have remained loose, llive, experimental and dangerous, like it was in the early days of Elvis, Buddy Holly and Eddie Cochrane.

"Talent" is what gave rock and roll the 25-minute keyboard wankings of Rick Wakeman, the drum solo, and Led Zeppelin's "Presence."

Not to mention capes in rock and roll. If you ask me, Spinal Tap's a pretty good barometer of the hubris of rock's self-importance and institution.

If musicianship and talent is your barometer of taste, you shouldn't even be llstening to rock. Your CD changer should instead be filled with nothing but Mozart, Charlotte church, Yo Yo Ma, Charlie Parker and the Four Tenors.

Actually on my car radio, classic is one of my programmed channels and is my daughters favorite. I listen to it as well, but like older classic rock as well. But nothing beats a good mozart or bach.

This is true, they were a stage show first, musicians second

And still way better then the Ramones

Atleast the members of kiss could play their instruments, Heck, I'll put the Monkeys as more talented musicians over the Ramones. I heard they couldn't even play and sing at the same time.

Punk music is the lowest form of music, even modern pop and hip hop takes more talent then Punk. If you can make loud noises and yell about the government and promote anarchy, you could be in a punk band. It takes 0 talent. The Ramones, the Sex Pistols, all 0 talent waste of airwaves

This statement is completely ignorant. To even suggest that KISS were better musicians than the Ramones (or Paul Cook and Steve Jones of the Pistols) shows your complete lack of knowledge of the subject. The KISS roadies haven't plugged Paul Stanley's or Gene Simmons' instruments into actual amplifiers since the late 70s.

I can name any one of hundreds of "punk" musicians that had far and away more talent than the majority of your 70s rock heros.

Thats the thing, theres a difference between being able to actually play an instrument, and having Talent, something Punk music contains neither of . I guess using the word talent may have been wrong cause most people use that to refer to stuff like classical music. Punk "musicians" (if you can call them that can barely string 2 chords together, and mostly just make noise.

Guess what, Yoko Ono made "music" that was experimental and loose, and "dangerous", but that doesn't mean it was worth listening to, or was any good.

I like music that I can sit there and say, it took more then just making noise and some lyrics against the government to create it.

This statement is completely ignorant. To even suggest that KISS were better musicians than the Ramones (or Paul Cook and Steve Jones of the Pistols) shows your complete lack of knowledge of the subject. The KISS roadies haven't plugged Paul Stanley's or Gene Simmons' instruments into actual amplifiers since the late 70s.

I can name any one of hundreds of "punk" musicians that had far and away more talent than the majority of your 70s rock heros.

Please, give a 2 year old a guitar and they can re-create Punk "Music"

Honorable mention goes out to T.Rex for coming up with one of the best opening licks in Rock.

I kind of like John Entwhistle's "I Feel Better"

When I'm feeling blue, I stick a pin in the picture of you beside my bed,

and I feel better,

When I'm feeling sad, I remember that you were the worst lay I ever had,

and I feel better!

We need change, we need it fast

Before rock's just part of the past

'Cause lately it all sounds the same to me!

I just read through this thread. I'm pretty sure I recall seeing a mention of Foghat. Come on…that is just not right, my friends.

I was very happy to see RuntheDamnBall's mention of Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band. You cannot dismiss the genius of Zoot Horn Rolo and The Mascara Snake.

Regarding the two year old. Sure, he could play some punk, but no way in hell is he gonna be able to handle all those drugs. And that's where your theory breaks down.

Yes, The Ramones kick ass!

Thats the thing, theres a difference between being able to actually play an instrument, and having Talent, something Punk music contains neither of . I guess using the word talent may have been wrong cause most people use that to refer to stuff like classical music. Punk "musicians" (if you can call them that can barely string 2 chords together, and mostly just make noise.

Guess what, Yoko Ono made "music" that was experimental and loose, and "dangerous", but that doesn't mean it was worth listening to, or was any good.

I like music that I can sit there and say, it took more then just making noise and some lyrics against the government to create it.

Are you insane?

Some of the greatest bands of all time were punk bands. Sex Pistols, Ramones, Misfits, etc...

And "punk" is such a broad term, it encompasses hardcore, 70s-style, skate-punk, ska, pop-punk etc....you're going to tell me it's not a valued part of r'n'r history?

Eryn wanted to put the Captain and Tenille, but I disuaded him, as I don't think they are a band. He wanted to play "muskrat love" at his wedding....

He's a true romantic. A feminine romantic, but a romantic none the less.

Nibbling on bacon, chewin' on cheese

Sammy says to Susie "Honey, would you please be my missus?"

And she say yes

With her kisses