If Branch,Peterson,Okoye and Willis are there at 12?

freester

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a difficult decision. I am sure that they all won't be available, but at least 2 will be.

I was high on Branch early on but he seems like he stock is slipping

I would be really happy with Okoye or Lynch....I dont want any part of Hall

because while our team does need a RB, our defense needs as much help as it can get. and there will be more-than-serviceable RBs left in the 2nd and maybe 3rd.

i just like a couple GOOD backs running behind our new line, and an improved D. rather than a GREAT back and another year of a horrible run D.

just personal preference.

because while our team does need a RB, our defense needs as much help as it can get. and there will be more-than-serviceable RBs left in the 2nd and maybe 3rd.

i just like a couple GOOD backs running behind our new line, and an improved D. rather than a GREAT back and another year of a horrible run D.

just personal preference.

I am inclined to agree with you, although okoye or branch may be preferable to willis. However Peterson is a special talent who will sell tickets. I would love to pick one of them, and then trade back into the first round to get another one.

I am inclined to agree with you, although okoye or branch may be preferable to willis. However Peterson is a special talent who will sell tickets. I would love to pick one of them, and then trade back into the first round to get another one.

WINNING sells tickets. not names.

This is a really tough choice. Peterson is the first off my survivor draft island in this scenario--its just too much to invest for an back who has a tendency to get injured and this draft's pool of running backs is pretty deep.

Willis is the next to go..I think we are serviceable at LB right now, particularly if we upgrade the nose tackle position..I am okay with Spikes (SLB); Crowell (MLB); Ellison (WLB) with Haggan, Stamer for goal line and then a couple of draftees -- one at strong/Mlb and one at WLB in in the draft later.

Okoye--He is not as finished a product as Branch right now--he is more of a 3 than a nose--we are okay at 3 with Tripplett and Williams.

Branch...you can't teach big and quick; they also say he is lazy and has a "low motor" at times...I think this coaching staff -- with Jauron's steady hand and laid back style and Fewell and Kollar's passion and teaching can get the most out of him. If we want to get better against the run--we have to have a great rotation at the nose--McCargo and Branch have the potential to be a pair to build on...

Branch...really tough choice though...I would be happy with Okoye, Willis or Branch...

As for Hall--corner is pretty deep in this draft--we can get a player who will do well in cover 2 in round 3....Hughes from Cal who is slow (4.6) but had 8 INT's last year--could be a Bill.

I know this sounds like a cop-out, but my answer is simply: WHOMEVER OUR SCOUTS have RANKED THE HIGHEST. That is really the only bright side to having so many needs... aside from QB and SS, I think you could make an argument to draft the best available player at almost any other position. I am no scout and do not pretend to be. There are however, many scouts employed by the team that are paid to make these kinds of decisions. Based on the early returns from last year's draft, I am inclined to trust their judgment. Assuming that these guys are all ranked very close, that is where I'd try to trade down.

I know this sounds like a cop-out, but my answer is simply: WHOMEVER OUR SCOUTS have RANKED THE HIGHEST. That is really the only bright side to having so many needs... aside from QB and SS, I think you could make an argument to draft the best available player at almost any other position. I am no scout and do not pretend to be. There are however, many scouts employed by the team that are paid to make these kinds of decisions. Based on the early returns from last year's draft, I am inclined to trust their judgment. Assuming that these guys are all ranked very close, that is where I'd try to trade down.

Your post makes sense, but I for one would add LT, DE, and any position in the secondary to your list. :w00t:

I would have to go with Peterson only because we have a glaring need at RB right now and I think that AP has the ability that could eventually see him in the Hall of Fame. He has been injury prone in college, but I think he would def be worth the risk and we could still sure up our Defense with the remaining picks on day 1.

This is a really tough choice. Peterson is the first off my survivor draft island in this scenario--its just too much to invest for an back who has a tendency to get injured and this draft's pool of running backs is pretty deep.

Willis is the next to go..I think we are serviceable at LB right now, particularly if we upgrade the nose tackle position..I am okay with Spikes (SLB); Crowell (MLB); Ellison (WLB) with Haggan, Stamer for goal line and then a couple of draftees -- one at strong/Mlb and one at WLB in in the draft later.

Okoye--He is not as finished a product as Branch right now--he is more of a 3 than a nose--we are okay at 3 with Tripplett and Williams.

Branch...you can't teach big and quick; they also say he is lazy and has a "low motor" at times...I think this coaching staff -- with Jauron's steady hand and laid back style and Fewell and Kollar's passion and teaching can get the most out of him. If we want to get better against the run--we have to have a great rotation at the nose--McCargo and Branch have the potential to be a pair to build on...

Branch...really tough choice though...I would be happy with Okoye, Willis or Branch...

As for Hall--corner is pretty deep in this draft--we can get a player who will do well in cover 2 in round 3....Hughes from Cal who is slow (4.6) but had 8 INT's last year--could be a Bill.

A quick question...did you think the same when the Bills drafted McGahee? That was a big gamble on a guy who put his leg on backwards. Just about any pick in the first round (especially the first half of the first round) is a big gamble that may or may not payoff. I think I would take Peterson if he's available...provided no one was signed prior to the draft. I agree with one of the other posts that an average back can be successful behind a good line, but if the Bills have not signed another RB, Peterson may have too much of an upside to pass on.

i was listening to guy who was at the pro scout day for Branch...said he was grossly overweight and out of shape. I guess that is bad news since I thought Branch would go before Okoye to Washington or Miami. We have to give a thought to whether Branch might not be the Defensive tackle we want. A little too much time at the twinkie table and too little time in the weight room. If Okoye is not there we might want to pick Willis or trade down and get either a Justin Harrel or one of the lynch/Irons/Pittman group of running backs. Some nice corners and linebackers will be available in the late second and third rounds. We can do all right.

I have to admit for the longest time I thought AP was out of the realm of possibility but with rumours Cleveland is going to draft a QB the texans signing both Ahman Green and Ron Dayne it seems like there is a good chance he could be there at 12 depending on what Atlanta does with #11 (they seem set with Dunn and Norwood but with a new coach they might go in a different direction) I wouldn't let him slip past us if we had an opportunity to take. I would rank the prospects in this order:

1. Adrian Peterson

2. Okoye

3. Branch

4. Willis ( I really like him but feel like there are a lot of other potential options in the later rounds)

i was listening to guy who was at the pro scout day for Branch...said he was grossly overweight and out of shape. I guess that is bad news since I thought Branch would go before Okoye to Washington or Miami. We have to give a thought to whether Branch might not be the Defensive tackle we want. A little too much time at the twinkie table and too little time in the weight room. If Okoye is not there we might want to pick Willis or trade down and get either a Justin Harrel or one of the lynch/Irons/Pittman group of running backs. Some nice corners and linebackers will be available in the late second and third rounds. We can do all right.

Branch is a classic 2 gap DT. He'd be best suited as a NT in a 3-4, as he reminds me of a younger, more raw version of Jamal Williams. As a 4-3 DT, I believe, he'll be okay, but playing in a scheme that doesn't best fit his abilities.

A quick question...did you think the same when the Bills drafted McGahee? That was a big gamble on a guy who put his leg on backwards. Just about any pick in the first round (especially the first half of the first round) is a big gamble that may or may not payoff. I think I would take Peterson if he's available...provided no one was signed prior to the draft. I agree with one of the other posts that an average back can be successful behind a good line, but if the Bills have not signed another RB, Peterson may have too much of an upside to pass on.

There's a huge investment gap between the 12th pick and the 23rd pick...its much more of a risk -- maybe double.

Agree. And I'd put Okoye second, and a tradedown third

Branch is a classic 2 gap DT. He'd be best suited as a NT in a 3-4, as he reminds me of a younger, more raw version of Jamal Williams. As a 4-3 DT, I believe, he'll be okay, but playing in a scheme that doesn't best fit his abilities.

Something I hadn't considered. More of an anchor than a penetrator?