Something that is taking shape for the upcoming season

Adam

I think we've taken the approach that it is better to have a clearly defined strength than just be good in all aspects. I think our strength will be our offense this year, and our coaches will be scheming around our defensive deficiencies- something they are more than qualified to do.

A rapidly improving QB, a franchise WR, and a much improved O-line should give us a very efficient offense, and having the best special teams in the league will help greatly. If we have another strong draft, playoffs are a disctict possibility.

I think we've taken the approach that it is better to have a clearly defined strength than just be good in all aspects. I think our strength will be our offense this year, and our coaches will be scheming around our defensive deficiencies- something they are more than qualified to do.

A rapidly improving QB, a franchise WR, and a much improved O-line should give us a very efficient offense, and having the best special teams in the league will help greatly. If we have another strong draft, playoffs are a disctict possibility.

I thought this as well. Doesn't this thinking re-open the potential for drafting a WR AND a RB. And doesn't it also suggest that OL improvments are incomplete?

I thought this as well. Doesn't this thinking re-open the potential for drafting a WR AND a RB. And doesn't it also suggest that OL improvments are incomplete?

Which is exactly why I was hoping to get Aaron Sears. The WR that intrigues me is David Ball from New Hampshire. I think he really fits what we do on offense in the passing game

Drafting a WR, no

Marv has already said unless one falls into his lap on draft day, they aren't actively pursuing any

RB, yes, without Willis, and only having Shaud and A-Train, plus a guy from NFLE, They need a playmaker to run behind this improved o-line, otherwise you might as well have saved the money and stuck with what they had. Jauron wants to go with a RB by comittee so I see A-train and another RB (probably a rookie so they have a vet/rookie combo with the Rookie being the 1a and A-Train being the 1b)

As for the offence, besides getting a RB, and maybe, just maybe a backup late second day pick linemen, I don't see them drafting any other players for the O

I believe they draft big on D again, building the D around young players while building the O around TD's young players and some FA linemen

They have their starters on the line pretty much set, except for the RG spot, and have plenty of young backup linemen (and Whittle) to fight for that spot and backup spots so I think they are done with the line untilnext years draft

Drafting a WR, no

Marv has already said unless one falls into his lap on draft day, they aren't actively pursuing any

RB, yes, without Willis, and only having Shaud and A-Train, plus a guy from NFLE, They need a playmaker to run behind this improved o-line, otherwise you might as well have saved the money and stuck with what they had. Jauron wants to go with a RB by comittee so I see A-train and another RB (probably a rookie so they have a vet/rookie combo with the Rookie being the 1a and A-Train being the 1b)

As for the offence, besides getting a RB, and maybe, just maybe a backup late second day pick linemen, I don't see them drafting any other players for the O

I believe they draft big on D again, building the D around young players while building the O around TD's young players and some FA linemen

They have their starters on the line pretty much set, except for the RG spot, and have plenty of young backup linemen (and Whittle) to fight for that spot and backup spots so I think they are done with the line untilnext years draft

I think you're right. This SuperOffense Theory is a fantasy. It's an attractive idea in March, but Marv knows better--you have to fill in the holes, which are mostly on D right now.

i think with the left side now LOCKED DOWN, this allows Fowler to help whoever is playing RG. especially if they do put Walker at RT, he should be able to handle that side, and as long as he handles HIS business, the RG will be helped from both sides.

same goes for RT if they put Walker at RG, with the rest of the line being set(and having a good pass blocking back finally in the game with ATrain), the RT wont have to worry about much other than his duties...

Why is the "theory" of a SUPER-OFFENSE that far fetched? Didn't Marv Levy once coach the K-Gun offense to AFC domination in the early 90's or am I mistaken? Let's say the Bills, for arguments sake draft Marshawn Lynch, Zack Miller, and Jason Hill with the first three picks. Suddenly ( NOT OVERNIGHT!) the offense is multi-faceted and points are in abundance! Sounds awfully good to me!! Who's to say that the Bills finish off free agency signing a DT and a MLB ( again, for arguments sake, Ian Scott and Kawika Mitchell...), wouldn't the possibility exist for the revamping of the offense? I say YES! Will it happen? I don't know!

because we paid a lot of money for O-Line, doesn't mean we will have an improved O-Line.. We don't even know what we will draft which leads me to believe there is nothing taking shape at this point.

Why is the "theory" of a SUPER-OFFENSE that far fetched? Didn't Marv Levy once coach the K-Gun offense to AFC domination in the early 90's or am I mistaken? Let's say the Bills, for arguments sake draft Marshawn Lynch, Zack Miller, and Jason Hill with the first three picks. Suddenly ( NOT OVERNIGHT!) the offense is multi-faceted and points are in abundance! Sounds awfully good to me!! Who's to say that the Bills finish off free agency signing a DT and a MLB ( again, for arguments sake, Ian Scott and Kawika Mitchell...), wouldn't the possibility exist for the revamping of the offense? I say YES! Will it happen? I don't know!

I'm not saying the Bills can't have a great offense. I just think this idea of a powerhouse offense keeping the other team's offense off the field is exaggerated. This team still needs some help at CB, DT and LB. I think you get more for your money by addressing those needs directly. Other than RB (and FB), I think the Bills will draft more for defense.

I gather DJ holds a lot of sway over Levy regarding personnel issues. I'll wager he was behind the Whitner, McCargo, and Simpson selections last year. While I won't assess the picks one way or another, I think it's safe to say we go defense in the first round. Despite all the posturing teams do leading up to the draft, DJ will advise Marv to go defense in Round 1 and/or 2.

Now, I could be wrong, but DJ is a defense first coach and there's no way Marv totally blows off his head coach.

Offensive weapons are a "want" right now, with defense being a "need." Especially considering there's CB, LB, and DT issues.

Then again, they might surprise us all and take Sepulveda the punter from Baylor with their first pick. Who knows with this bunch.

I gather DJ holds a lot of sway over Levy regarding personnel issues. I'll wager he was behind the Whitner, McCargo, and Simpson selections last year. While I won't assess the picks one way or another, I think it's safe to say we go defense in the first round. Despite all the posturing teams do leading up to the draft, DJ will advise Marv to go defense in Round 1 and/or 2.

Now, I could be wrong, but DJ is a defense first coach and there's no way Marv totally blows off his head coach.

Offensive weapons are a "want" right now, with defense being a "need." Especially considering there's CB, LB, and DT issues.

Then again, they might surprise us all and take Sepulveda the punter from Baylor with their first pick. Who knows with this bunch.

Did you read Marv's book? I guarantee that Marv had a lot of influence on those picks last year while being flexible and listening to his staff as well.

DJ will not advise Marv to go defense, Marv has already decided on it based on the teams' needs. When Marv was in KC, his asz-hole GM wanted him to draft a QB every year, but Marv held out for Art Still and Mike Bell in consecutive years. Trust me, no one influences Marv once he has his mind made up.

The reason why Marv brought in DJ is because they have the same philosophy and there would be very good camraderie.

Everyone on this board should read Marv's book. It will give you better insight into how things should go in the future for this team.

Marv is one of the best talent evaluators around. It's no coincidence the Bills had great players in the early 90s, and had an excellent looking draft last year. Someone needs to tell ESPN that.

Did you read Marv's book? I guarantee that Marv had a lot of influence on those picks last year while being flexible and listening to his staff as well.

DJ will not advise Marv to go defense, Marv has already decided on it based on the teams' needs. When Marv was in KC, his asz-hole GM wanted him to draft a QB every year, but Marv held out for Art Still and Mike Bell in consecutive years. Trust me, no one influences Marv once he has his mind made up.

The reason why Marv brought in DJ is because they have the same philosophy and there would be very good camraderie.

Everyone on this board should read Marv's book. It will give you better insight into how things should go in the future for this team.

Marv is one of the best talent evaluators around. It's no coincidence the Bills had great players in the early 90s, and had an excellent looking draft last year. Someone needs to tell ESPN that.

agreed...but then again what happened during the super bowl years. for about 5-6 years starting in 1990-1991ish, our drafts were horrendous..

Again, let's not give Marv credit for being Marv. When they decided on a head coach they went looking for someone with previous experience. Good idea after the previous 2 HC's. How do we know how much talent evaluation Marv did back in the late eighties and nineties? Didn't we have Polian, Butler, and AJ Smith? Those guys did the scouting and personnel work. Marv provided input but didn't make the decision. Now Marv's doing the work those guys did.

Marv has admitted himself he didn't have a lot of knowledge about the draft last season. He relied on Modrak and Jauron's insight because they'd been in the league those 10 seasons Marv was out of the game. Marv was hired in early January and the draft took place in April. Marv is not a scout, but he ultimately makes personnel moves. However, the off-season in 2006 was a completely new experience simply because he was a brand new GM. You don't become a great GM overnight. Some would argue we still don't have one.

Marv does not get the benefit of the doubt. I don't go along with what those ESPN people say, but they're not wrong all the time either.

Which is exactly why I was hoping to get Aaron Sears. The WR that intrigues me is David Ball from New Hampshire. I think he really fits what we do on offense in the passing game

I saw that David Ball guy play in a all star game, East west shrine game maybe?? Either way he looks like a young Steve Largent out there to me. Great possession receiver and route runner. I would love to see him become a Bill with a 2nd day pick...

Ball would be an excellent 6th Round pick. He is rated #171 on a draft site I like, and our pick's #169.

Ball was 2nd overall in receiving yardage in Division 1AA last year, and passed a guy named Jerry Rice in number of TD's.

About the Typing TD:

"A high school basketball and high jump champion, Ball grabbed a jump ball in the corner of the end zone for his third touchdown Saturday and the 50th TD catch of his career, tying Rice's all-time Division I-AA mark. With a chance to surpass the future Hall of Famer, Ball watched most of the second half as the Wildcats beat Dartmouth 56-14.

"He's as gifted a receiver as anybody in the country. He's acrobatic and he can run with the ball when you give him some room," Dartmouth coach Buddy Teevens said."

Again, let's not give Marv credit for being Marv. When they decided on a head coach they went looking for someone with previous experience. Good idea after the previous 2 HC's. How do we know how much talent evaluation Marv did back in the late eighties and nineties? Didn't we have Polian, Butler, and AJ Smith? Those guys did the scouting and personnel work. Marv provided input but didn't make the decision. Now Marv's doing the work those guys did.

Marv has admitted himself he didn't have a lot of knowledge about the draft last season. He relied on Modrak and Jauron's insight because they'd been in the league those 10 seasons Marv was out of the game. Marv was hired in early January and the draft took place in April. Marv is not a scout, but he ultimately makes personnel moves. However, the off-season in 2006 was a completely new experience simply because he was a brand new GM. You don't become a great GM overnight. Some would argue we still don't have one.

Marv does not get the benefit of the doubt. I don't go along with what those ESPN people say, but they're not wrong all the time either.

Actually, not to nitpick...but Marv held this same position with the Alouettes as well as coach. He was a director of personnel (pseudo-GM, sort of speak). Marv was influential in the drafts back then with the Bills too. He did not have the final say as Bill P did and AJ did the scouting, but he had a lot of input based on his experience. The gentleman who said the Bills 90ish drafts suck, I think was being too harsh. Granted, a lot of guys didn't make the team, but a lot of that has to do with the strength and depth of our football team. We had a lot of continuity for awhile where it was difficult to unseat even the backups because of their outstanding STs play.(Carwell Gardners, Mark Pikes, etc.)

Anyone think we should have kept Martin Nance as a project. He seemed to fit the ideal #2 big tall wide-out that we all think we need. I was very disappointed when he was cut. I saw a tremendous amount of upside. Where is he?

they also lost 4 superbowls because they couldn't stop the run.

Last year they couldn't stop the run and they have more holes on D now.

D will be the focus.