Official Selection Sunday Thread

BuffOrange

I have to say even though I'm a bug Georgetown-honk I've got to admit the Cuse got a less-than-fair shake. They probably deserved at least a 14 seed SOMEWHERE (but when you have all the automatic births you risk snubbing some teams).

Though no one asked, the media out here is crying foul that Air Force didn't get it, but yet all week they said they had a "must-win" game in the opening round if they expected to get into the dance. Hypocrits... bottom line for SU and AF you have to take care of business (any extended suck-streak) will put yourself in a hole that's awfully hard to climb out of.

That said, I think (read: hope) the Hoyas have a great chang to get to the top of their bracket based on the rest of the field. But then again, being a Sabres and Bills fan I know anything can happen... and usually does.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, you are right. My judgment on UL was a little off because I just watched them almost (should have) lose to WVU in the second round and then play an unimpressive, streaky game vs. Pitt. Their stretch leading into the tourney was very impressive and they were the wrong team to compare ND to for seeding sake.

Our big losses to Villanova and G-Town, combined with our bizarre losses to So Florida and St. Johns are what ultimately sunk us. I just think it was a little strange to give the top 2 BE teams a #2 and #3, and then saddle us with a #6. We also sport a nice road victory at #4 seed Maryland on our resume.

I guess I put more stock into the "what have you done lately" column. I think ND was playing as well as any team in the Big East leading into the tournament, and we proved it this week. I can only give my opinion obviously, but if Russell Carter's 3 goes in on Friday, I think we beat Pitt and win the BE. I also think Syracuse got jobbed on this same notion. Save a 3 point away loss to a desperate Villanova team, and they enter the ND game on a 7 game win streak. I'd put them in the tourney over an over-matched Villanova who basically got embarrassed in their last game (the G-Town game wasn't nearly as close as the final).

Yeah I don't get how Nova was more deserving either (apparantly 1 non-conf. home game vs. Texas trumps 1,000 other factors). But they deserve to be in so my beef really isn't w/ them.

The stuff about "unbalanced conf. schedules" is garbage too b/c it's not consistent: Illinois only played Ohio St & Wisc once (and lost both at home), Arkansas only played Fla once, Cuse didn't play Rutgers or Seton Hall at all, but they get punished for only playing G'town once (the fact that they beat them soundly is just an afterthought I guess).

It's just a joke by any reasonably objective measurement tool.

L'ville got a gift in location but I OTOH think Texas A&M is by far the best #3 seed...Oregon @Spokane is basically a road game for you guys though.

The stuff about "unbalanced conf. schedules" is garbage too b/c it's not consistent:

The committee does a pretty good job of sorting out those overgrown unbalanced conferences. K-State finished ahead of Texas Tech then beat them in the Big 12 tourney -- Huggins V Knight, fun stuff. I thought it looked wobbly for Tech until it was explained that they use the freakin' football divisions for the home and homes while tabling the standings all together.

Say what you want about Knight's ,uh, personality, his results at Tech are remarkable. Recruiting classes consistently in the bottom third of that conference shoulda' doomed the man to obscurity...

What? No love for the Drexel Dragons (RPI:41)???

Most road victories in the nation including Syracuse, Villanova, & Creighton (also Vermont, Temple & St. Joe's... no slouches in the bunch). The 1-5 conference record against VCU, ODU & Hofstra was their undoing. I think there is a misconception about the strength of the Colonial. At the top you have senior laden teams, unlike the BCS biggies with so many freshman auditioning for the NBA. George Mason drew up the blueprint for mid-majors last year.

Seth Davis had a list of the last teams in (Illinois, Arkansas & Stanford) and said, "They should all have to play at Drexel next year."

OK, I'm a little bitter. :devil:

FSU got screwed. You're going to take worthless teams such as illinois, Mich St, and Stanford, and leave out air force and FSU? We beat florida, and duke in cameron. Finished 20-11, with an RPI around 40. Had a top 20 SOS. Won 8 conference games, and advanced farther in the ACC tourney than both duke and GT. Only reason we got left out? we went 1-5 when we lost our #2 scorer and starting PG, Toney Douglas. 19-5 with him, 1-5 without him. Including a total screw job vs BC.

FSU got screwed. You're going to take worthless teams such as illinois, Mich St, and Stanford, and leave out air force and FSU? We beat florida, and duke in cameron. Finished 20-11, with an RPI around 40. Had a top 20 SOS. Won 8 conference games, and advanced farther in the ACC tourney than both duke and GT. Only reason we got left out? we went 1-5 when we lost our #2 scorer and starting PG, Toney Douglas. 19-5 with him, 1-5 without him. Including a total screw job vs BC.

I believe the 7-9 Conference record, led to GT (8-8) being picked over FSU. My personal feeling is that a team should be .500 or better in their conference to be considered for the tourney.

The thing the really irritates me is the "play-in" game. What a scam this is! Originally I liked it because I thought it would pair bubble teams for the right to get into the tournament. Instead they make it 2 mid-major teams that won their conference and earned a right to be in the tourney. I believe the play-in game should be 2 bubble teams battling as a 9 seed or something. Who wouldn't rather watch Syracuse vs. GT or Drexel vs. Illinois? I believe Niagara and Florida A&M were the most disrespected.

The one thing with FSU is out of all the bubble teams that didnt make it, I think they are the ones that could actually do the most damage. They would of been a dangerous 12 seed for any team to face. That Thorton is terrific & their PG is very good also.

The teams that got jobbed the most in order, Drexel, Florida State, Syracuse & last Kansas State. Take those 4 teams & they could replace Stanford, Illinois, Arkansas & Purdue.

To be fair that was a lame foul call vs. Clemson (who also got screwed @Duke)...

I agree though - the committee dumbass said Stanford's injuries worked in their favor - it's so lame how they selectively enforce different criteria for random teams.

Actually, both Akron and Kent State (21-11) didn't make the NIT.

But Toledo (19-12) did!

The first time I can ever remember Akron and Kent winning 20+ in the same season...with no reward.

That is some BS. Hopefully my Redhawks didn't use up all their magic the other night and can put up a good fight against Oregon.

That is some BS. Hopefully my Redhawks didn't use up all their magic the other night and can put up a good fight against Oregon.

I watched that game. My brother is a Miami alumnus, and I got accepted to law school at Akron.

I don't see the Miamis beating Oregon...but strange things happen in March Madness.