CNNSI Truth and Rumors

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/scor....nfl/index.html

When Willis McGahee stepped into Ravens' headquarters yesterday, the landscape of the team's offense changed. Coach Brian Billick talked about how the Ravens can more frequently spread out teams with three receivers because McGahee can run out of single-back formations. The team can break out the screen and swing passes again because McGahee is so effective in space.

-- Baltimore Sun

I'd call that a rumor

I was so glad when the Ravens lost in the playoffs. They are the dullest team in the NFL. They are the NJ Devils of the NFL (the Devils just about killed off the NHL with their "Trap" style).

Fock them.

Wasn't that offense flat against the Colts? And with two weeks of rest after earning a first round bye. With the dramatic changes to their O-line in 2007, and aging Steve McNair, the loss of Adalius Thomas, and the arrival of whining McGidiot (subtraction by addition), this team will NOT go 13-3 again.

Rosenhaus must of done a really incredible sales job on the Ravens personnel dept.

This must be so, because Ozzie Newsome is normally a very sharp GM.

You would think the Ravens would have some info on Willis' failure to study the playbook, and would not trade for such a guy. Go figure, huh?

Maybe they were getting advice from Ray Lewis...

Willis might actually be asked to do some things that HE CAN DO. The Bills for reasons of their own didn't do much to allow him to play in space. They were not a screen or swing pass heavy offense, choosing instead to treat the man like Earl Campbell, pounding away 20 odd times a game. Willis was asked, reminded and cajoled repeatedly TO HIT THE HOLE.

He's better off elsewhere and we're better off with someone who fits the program.

Wasn't that offense flat against the Colts? And with two weeks of rest after earning a first round bye. With the dramatic changes to their O-line in 2007, and aging Steve McNair, the loss of Adalius Thomas, and the arrival of whining McGidiot (subtraction by addition), this team will NOT go 13-3 again.

I don't think they were flat, I just think they suck. Bad receivers, bad line, bad running back, ultra-conservative play calling, and just plain no fun. They are the exact type of team that I DON'T want the rest of the league to emulate.

This is one quote I definitely agree with for as I said all last year that McGahee doesn't seem comfortable following a FB through a hole and that he would produced better in a single-back zone blocking scheme that would allow him to improvise. I wish all year long that we could line up with 3 WR more with either Reed or Parrish in the slot so that way we could force the D to match up and be less predictable. Instead we left a FB on the field who along with the TE wasn't any factlor in the passing game whatsoever, made the offense predictable as we ran %85 of the time with a FB in the game, and had a RB who doesn't seem natural following a FB through the whole. I'm not going to predict what WM would do in such an offense but with our supposedly better blocking I would have loved to at least give him a try in 2007 with such a spread offense philosophy for with our fast WR I think we left too many bullets in the gun in 2006!

I was so glad when the Ravens lost in the playoffs. They are the dullest team in the NFL. They are the NJ Devils of the NFL (the Devils just about killed off the NHL with their "Trap" style).

Fock them.

I was too. Ever since the Ravens got that "reality" TV show "Hard Knocks" and John Feinstein's book they've been one of those non-rival teams I just enjoy seeing lose. I never realized how much Billick really loves the sound of his own voice. It seems like he really thinks he invented this game.

It's too bad for Willis that this TV show isn't still being done, he could really showcase himself as the "best back in the NFL."

Yes, I'm sure Ozzie Newsome traded for McGahee based on what rosenhaus was saying. He probably didn't look at tape at all.

Christ people, use your heads, not your overly sensitive hearts. Just because he said some stupid things and there are some RUMOURS about playbook crap doesn't mean the guy can't succeed given the right situation.

Willis might actually be asked to do some things that HE CAN DO. The Bills for reasons of their own didn't do much to allow him to play in space. They were not a screen or swing pass heavy offense, choosing instead to treat the man like Earl Campbell, pounding away 20 odd times a game. Willis was asked, reminded and cajoled repeatedly TO HIT THE HOLE.

He's better off elsewhere and we're better off with someone who fits the program.

the only hole willis could hit was off the field .

Yes, I'm sure Ozzie Newsome traded for McGahee based on what rosenhaus was saying. He probably didn't look at tape at all.

Christ people, use your heads, not your overly sensitive hearts. Just because he said some stupid things and there are some RUMOURS about playbook crap doesn't mean the guy can't succeed given the right situation.

OK, let's take a vote on which of these statements is the most accurate:

A) "This is a runner who can make people miss and has the explosion and speed to take it the distance"

B) "We're getting a dynamic back who has the potential to diversify our running game"

C) "The way he runs and the passion he plays with is contagious. He plays the game the way it is supposed to be played"

D) "He had four rushes of 20-plus yards each of the last two seasons. That total of four ranked tied for 25th this year. The Niners’ Frank Gore led the NFL with 15 20-plus gains in ’06. The Giants’ Tiki Barber led the league with 16 in ’05.

McGahee had 23 rushes of 10-plus yards. That was just outside the top 20. Barber led the league with 50. Larry Johnson was second with 49. Gore had 44. Last year McGahee had 31 10-plus gainers."

Yeah, he may be effective in space, but he has to CATCH the ball first and make a move up field. That's where he sucks.

Plus he is EFFECTIVE. not very good or great. Willis is good at power, speed, some moves, and breaking outside for long runs.

He is Good. We shall see what is he and all can give a real assessment next january....

Willis is a fine RB. He just wasn't the kind of back we wanted and he was going to be out of here after next year. We don't need to be so insistent that he's a terrible back, because he's not.
He is not terrible, he also is not "the best back in the NFL" as he thinks he is,and wanted to be paid as such.

OK, let's take a vote on which of these statements is the most accurate:

A) "This is a runner who can make people miss and has the explosion and speed to take it the distance"

B) "We're getting a dynamic back who has the potential to diversify our running game"

C) "The way he runs and the passion he plays with is contagious. He plays the game the way it is supposed to be played"

D) "He had four rushes of 20-plus yards each of the last two seasons. That total of four ranked tied for 25th this year. The Niners’ Frank Gore led the NFL with 15 20-plus gains in ’06. The Giants’ Tiki Barber led the league with 16 in ’05.

McGahee had 23 rushes of 10-plus yards. That was just outside the top 20. Barber led the league with 50. Larry Johnson was second with 49. Gore had 44. Last year McGahee had 31 10-plus gainers."

That's probably the longest post I've ever seen that failed to prove anything. Congratulations.