1st Round Choice & RB Situation

marck

It appears that the majority of posters feel that we need to draft Lynch from Cal in the 1st round to fill the hole created by the trade of Willis. This would be a huge mistake. The area of weakness is at LB and our pick in the 1st round should be Patrick Willis of Mississippi. This would allow the Bills to add a great young player, leader and character player to their roster. He looks very much like a young Takeo Spikes. With Spikes here providing a great role model for him.

In the 2nd round I would move to fill the hole at RB with the selection of Tony Hunt of Penn State. Hunt has a great mix of size and speed and if possible, I would do whatever I could to then manuver to take Brian Leonard from Rutgers. A backfield of Hunt/Leonard would provide the split backfield threat that would work very well with the other weapons the Bills have.

As always, am interested in your thoughts on how this scenario would position the Bills in the future.

thats actually exactly who i think we should spend our picks on to, just my personal preference.

but if Marv and Co. decide to draft Lynch at 12 then trade back into the late-1st and grab Poz, i wouldnt be upset.

or if they grab lynch at 12 then draft LB 2nd..

basically, at this point i feel that Marv has earned and deserves the benefit of the doubt that whatever move they make will turn out.

It appears that the majority of posters feel that we need to draft Lynch from Cal in the 1st round to fill the hole created by the trade of Willis. This would be a huge mistake. The area of weakness is at LB and our pick in the 1st round should be Patrick Willis of Mississippi. This would allow the Bills to add a great young player, leader and character player to their roster. He looks very much like a young Takeo Spikes. With Spikes here providing a great role model for him.

In the 2nd round I would move to fill the hole at RB with the selection of Tony Hunt of Penn State. Hunt has a great mix of size and speed and if possible, I would do whatever I could to then manuver to take Brian Leonard from Rutgers. A backfield of Hunt/Leonard would provide the split backfield threat that would work very well with the other weapons the Bills have.

As always, am interested in your thoughts on how this scenario would position the Bills in the future.

is the LB/RB pool so shallow that we have to regurgitate the same names over and over and over and over and over and over again?

basically, at this point i feel that Marv has earned and deserves the benefit of the doubt that whatever move they make will turn out.

"......With the 12th pick in the first round, the Buffalo Bills select...BRADY QUINN...QB.....Notre Dame....."

When do your "benefits" kick in? :nana:

is the LB/RB pool so shallow that we have to regurgitate the same names over and over and over and over and over and over again?

Does this add anything of value to the conversation? There are players that are recognized and that there is a level of 'comfort' with. When you're talking about top lbs or rbs, there usually are a consensus few that are talked about 'over and over'. If it bothers you, maybe you should join a discussion about 3rd or 4th round lb or rb picks

I agree--it is much easier to find a good RB than good defensive players. You could get a good back in the 2nd or 3rd round. It is the easiest position to go from college to the pros. Go defense--either Willis or Okoye.

Does this add anything of value to the conversation? There are players that are recognized and that there is a level of 'comfort' with. When you're talking about top lbs or rbs, there usually are a consensus few that are talked about 'over and over'. If it bothers you, maybe you should join a discussion about 3rd or 4th round lb or rb picks

Does my question ADD value? No. Was the conversation valuable to begin with? Not to be a dick- but no. I think this same thread has been started four times a day every day for the past two weeks.

We get it, Patrick Willis is a popular name to hope for in the draft, so is Tony Hunt, etc. In fact, those names are as popular as Ngata and Bunkley were last year.

My valueless, sarcastic remark was meant to prod someone who has actually done some research, or actually knows what the crop of RB/LB truly looks like. If such a person doesn't exist, I don't undestand the value of rehashing the same fantastical scenarios.

Who on this board mentioned Daunte Whitner before the draft? Probably the same person who was talking about McCargo and Ko Simpson...

Cranky and Impatient,

The Boot.

My thoughts are predicated on the things coming from Dick Jaruon and his desire to run a split backfield. I have always thought a true split backfield with both players being able to run/catch and block provides the greatest offensive diversity. Now teams cannot focus on stopping one player, and simply following the lead blocker into the hole.

A Hunt/Leonard backfield is very exciting to me and this could be accomplished by selecting Hunt with our second round pick and then trading the pair of 3rd's to move back into the 2nd round.

No player on the board in my opinion is a better fit then Patrick Willis in the 1st round. I was doing some reading and found that he has a major in criminology and a minor in English, was removed from his father at 16 do to abuse and is living with step-parents and lost a brother who drowned in the past year. He has a warriors mindset and is a high-quality, character athlete who will make a great member of both the team and community.

If the Bills find some way to pull this off it would be a major coup for the franchise.

I am in this same line of thinking that. That is, we have to look at each position and assess whether we have decent starters there, if not, do we have guys with the potential to become starters? I believe we have starting caliber talent or at least potential at every position except LB, where even if Ellison turns out to bve solid in year 2 we have inadequate depth in the event of injury.

I would say our needs go something like LB>RB>CB>DT>FB>WR>G>backup S

ALso, RB is an easy hole to fill relative to other positions. I would love it if we could grab michael bush in the 2nd though.

My thoughts almost exactly.

If you look at our needs RB and LB's are obviously 1 with CB and DT a close 1a. Although i would love the Bills to take Okoye at number 12, i just don't see it happening. The DT's right now are McCargo (last years 1st round pick), Williams (last year 3rd Round pick), Tripplett (last year FA) and Anderson (bum)... I don't know, all signs point Levy's content with seeing what these guys can do at DT. It seems like he thinks attacking LB's would solve the poor run defense. I don't know if i agree with that, i think it's both, but it is what it is. Same with CB, although i think it's much more likely that we address it in Day 1, that's another position that may not be as big as a priority to the organization as some think. I actually agree with that. Clements was good, Top 10 CB in the league good, but in the cover 2 you don't need that. There are definitley cover two corners out there who excel in the system, but would never be considered shut down corners (two examples: FA: Harper and Draft: Damyeon Hyughes (spellings?)).

We need 4 new starters then and two may be on the roster (Youboyte at CB and McCargo at DT). With that in mind who are the 1st round talents that can step in right away: At DT that's Branch and Okoye. At RB there's Peterson and Lynch in the first round (along with Pittman, Hunt, Irons, Bush, and leonard in the 2nd and 3rd). At LB there's Willis, Puz and Timmons. At CB there's Hall and Revis and a number of other guys that could push for a starting spot bewtween mid-first and thrid...

So in round 1 are viable options are (guys that COULD be there at 12): Okoye, Branch, Lynch, Willis and Puz.

The closer and closer we get to the draft the more it seems like we're headed in the LB direction. (Cato june is still out there and there has been absoultely zero interest in him- even if they don't like his character, you'd think they'd at least bring him in for a visit and talk to him face to face)

Therefore if we go LB in round 1, I think we address CB And RB with our three picks in rounds 2 and 3. it's just not worth adding a DT on the first day if it's not Branch or Okoye, imo. So i think it will look something like this:

1. Willis/Puz

2. Hughyes/Bush/Hunt/Pittman

3. Hunt/Pittman/Irons/CB if not addressed in Rd 2

3. ??

(maybe we use the extra pick someway to move up a little to get one of the guys we want in the 2nd or 3rd rounds??)

The other way I see it would be taking Lynch first. As stated in the above post though, that just doesn't seem like a good option. If we do that we either have to get REAL lucky and hope one of the LB's fall to use or make a serious move to get back into Round 1. So that would look something like this:

1. Lynch

1a. Puz/Timmons/Willis

3. CB

I just don't think that's wise. I like lynch and have nothing against him, but with all the needs we have on defense and the number of good RB's that will be availabe to be picked up later, I just think it makes so much more sense.

i really want paul posluszny to be the linebacker we draft.the only way i won't be heartbroken about not drafting paul would be if adrian peterson fell in our laps or if we took patrick willis.if adrian is gone i would prefer to trade down and draft paul.with our new line i also would be content with the a-train as our main back.the sweetest draft would be to get patrick willis and then trade back up into the lower 1st round and draft paul as well.then the rest of our draft could be best players available.go bills in"07

Why is it that people keep saying we can get a starting running back in the 2nd round, but not a starting linebacker in the 2nd?.

I'll say it again, if the a running back is below par, he is almost useless (only one guy is featured, even with these 2-back teams), but an "average" linebacker can still start and be effective,. Your running back has to kick a$$.

I think they need both a running back and a linebacker (I think running back is a more important position), but should take the best guy on the board (it's not always easy to trade down) at EITHER position (and if there is someone at another position that is just off the map and still there, consider that player).

I

I would say our needs go something like LB>RB>CB>DT>FB>WR>G>backup S

ALso, RB is an easy hole to fill relative to other positions. I would love it if we could grab michael bush in the 2nd though.

I think you might be understating our need at CB. I would say RB and CB are our top needs. Ellison showed that he can play capably as a starter last year. They think Crowell can play in the middle. The needs then at lb are for depth or for upgrade. We need a starting CB and a starting RB.

That said I still would like Willis or Okoye in rd. 1.

We should trade down and pick up Wills or Poulz (whoever is left) and take Antonio Pittman or Bush in the 2nd round. I'm thinking Pittman may even be around late in the second, early in the 3rd. He's the guy, I'm tellin yah!

I think you might be understating our need at CB. I would say RB and CB are our top needs. Ellison showed that he can play capably as a starter last year. They think Crowell can play in the middle. The needs then at lb are for depth or for upgrade. We need a starting CB and a starting RB.

That said I still would like Willis or Okoye in rd. 1.

why do we need a starting cb? i thought we would give ashton youboty a shot at a starting job.we did use a 3rd round pick on him last season and he is from ohio state .you know when you want a linebacker you draft a guy from penn state,when you want a cornerback you draft him from ohio state lol.i dont rule out a 3rd or 4th round cb,but i think ashton with a year of being on the team(even though he didnt play much)would still be better than a rookie draftee this year.go bills in"07

THe Bills are more than one draft away.

They need some help in the middle of the defense, they need a running back, and apparently alot of people feel they need a top shelf CB as well. That sounds like a couple of drafts to me. That means they should take the BEST GUY AVAILABLE at any of these positions, not

"It has to be a linebacker in the first"

"It has tobe a CB in the first"

"It has to be a RB in the first"

They should take the best guy they can get. I'm sure they will. I don't think they have made up their minds yet. I doubt they are just zeroed in on Patrick Willis, or anyone else.

THe Bills are more than one draft away.

They need some help in the middle of the defense, they need a running back, and apparently alot of people feel they need a top shelf CB as well. That sounds like a couple of drafts to me. That means they should take the BEST GUY AVAILABLE at any of these positions, not

"It has to be a linebacker in the first"

"It has tobe a CB in the first"

"It has to be a RB in the first"

They should take the best guy they can get. I'm sure they will. I don't think they have made up their minds yet. I doubt they are just zeroed in on Patrick Willis, or anyone else.

Oh, yah, Marv does not zero in... Oh, but he does.

Donte Whitner

Kyle Williams almost in Rnd 4 instead 5.

Not saying I diagree with the strategy to not do it but I do think Marv does do it some. No doubt.