My Penn State bias

But, if somehow, Marv & co. can trade down to get Posluzny later in the 1st, then Tony Hunt in the 2nd, I would be one happy camper. Not to mention, it would be a very good fit for this team:

Penn State is the king of bend don't break defense (the college equivalent of the Cover-Two) - and Tony Hunt played behind one of the crappiest O-lines in the Big Ten - and still managed to push the line forward. Get him in here with a speedy change of pace back, and I think he's a good fit too...

ive thought about this too. and frankly, since Hunt is my favorite RB for us in the draft and i know we need LB help, i wouldnt be upset if we grabbed both of them.

i think Hunt is rated around the 4th RB? maybe better, maybe worse, depends on who you are asking.

i think he is our guy in the second if/when we go Defense in the first.

I keep hearing more about this guy....What's he ranked amongst RB in the draft? Is he a late 1st pick?

I think right now, he's a second round pick....if he has a great day at his pro day, he may shoot up more. He was the MVP of both the Outback Bowl (vs. Tennessee) and the Senior Bowl.

Another thought that goes against my PSU bias - if we get our thunder guy via FA - Antonio Pittman of Ohio State is an underrated running back as well. He has great speed, and just went out and played well for the Buckeyes the last two years. He's probably closer to the 3rd round, but another option.

But, if somehow, Marv & co. can trade down to get Posluzny later in the 1st, then Tony Hunt in the 2nd, I would be one happy camper. Not to mention, it would be a very good fit for this team:

Penn State is the king of bend don't break defense (the college equivalent of the Cover-Two) - and Tony Hunt played behind one of the crappiest O-lines in the Big Ten - and still managed to push the line forward. Get him in here with a speedy change of pace back, and I think he's a good fit too...

I love this. Then the Bills get their extra second and draft best available athlete or a CB.

Good post............I watched every Penn st. game last year and it was double frusrtating because their line was just as horrific as the bills line........Hell,put the two lines together and they still couldn`t block a fat lady from going into pizza hut....If we got them two guys I might even renew my direct TV package and watch the Bills on TV again...........Hunts a bullhead with breakaway speed and would be an absolute perfect fit,one guy ain`t bringin him down....and Poluzny would be smart glue where ever he`s put.

haha, as a Penn State alumus I wholeheartly agree. I do feel bias when i mention them, but they really would be the perfect fit for our needs, especially Puz on our defense. Penn State runs the closest thing to a cover 2 defense in the college game. whether they align in a 3-4 (as they did more this past season) or their normal 4-3, they're always in a 1- or 2- deep saftey zone. Puz played like a beast in 2005 when he was playing OLB in the 4-3 alignment. He was great last year too playing in the middle, but i def. think his natural and best postion is the WLB in the 4-3 zone defense. I don't think you can find a better fit for use in the draft! I think the biggest problem right now though is that he's projected as a mid to late first rouner. Many people think 12th is too early to take him. I'm afraid we're going to pass up on him and he won't be there in the second. Even if we trade up to move back into the first that doesn't even ensure we get him. On the otherside of the argument though, a lot of mock drafts have him going to St. Louis at 13 who needs LB's more than we do (if you could believe that). I think there's a good chance that he goes there. With all that said, Marv takes the guy he wants, wherever he is. He's not interested in where they're "projected" to go. If he wants Puz, don't be too surprise to see him taken at 12.... and i'll be smiling the whole time!

As for Tony Hunt, I love him too, he's an absolute beast! He NEVER goes down on the first hit. Knowing what marv likes in RB's though and if we re-sign A-train I can see marv going with Pittman or Irons (who are more elusive with break away speed) to complement Thomas. I really like irons and would still be happy if we got him.... That said, if Hunt and Puz were in Bills jerseys at the end of the first day in the draft, i'd be one VERY happy Bills fan!

The Senator must have missed this thread. He's the President...er...Senator of the "Draft Posluszny" club.

I'll take PSU (and Ohio State) players anyday.

A PU running back? I'll pass.

I'll level with you, Penn State Players don't make the best pro prospects, but that doesn't mean when a good one comes along you pass on him. You look at every player individually. I think both Hunt and Puz have chances to be GREAT players in the NFL. Hunt has everything you look for in an everydown back in the NFL. He has the size to be a bruiser, but the vison and quickness to hit the holes hard and fast. notice i said quickness, not breakaway speed... no one is going to confuse him with reggie bush, but when you can consistantly break tackles, and push piles foward you'll do just fine for yourself.

It's funny if you go to youtube and look at the vidoes that are up for Hunt and say, someone like Lynch, you would think Lynch is the second coming of Walter Petyon. NOt all college RB's can convert that greatness in the college game to the pros though. Whereas, some of lynch's runs were ridiculous, you have to take into consideration that he played in the pac 10, which has some of the worst defenses and tacklers in the college game. He can rip off some of those crazy runs, becuase guys that should have made the tackle with ease near the line of scrimmage don't. Now you look at Hunt in the Big 10 - which has much better defenses -he still impresses. He doesn't have the crazy highlights as lynch, but he's also playing against much better competition. Don't get me wrong, i'm not a lynch hater, i really like the guy and would be happy to see him as a Bill, but i think Hunt flies under the radar much of the time becasue he doesn't have the flashness of some other players. All he does is grab his lunchpal, goes to work every day, and rips off 5- 8- 12- yard runs while tacklers are being dragged behind him. Whoever gets him will be very happy with their pick.

Jri111, that's a misconception about the Pac-10. The run defenses actually played pretty well this year. In fact, if you do a comparison, you'll find that on average, Marshawn Lynch faced the 53rd ranked run D in Division 1.

Tony Hunt? This may suprise you: 64th.

Each had one game against a non-division 1 foe tossed out (I do not have data for those teams, nor do I particularly care about how each performed against them). Note that this is on a yards-per-game basis. I have not done a comparison of the rankings on yardage allowed on a per-carry basis, but a quick scan reveals nothing out of the ordinary and no reason to believe the results won't be similar.

You can find these numbers here:

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?div=4&site=org

I'll level with you, Penn State Players don't make the best pro prospects, but that doesn't mean when a good one comes along you pass on him. You look at every player individually. I think both Hunt and Puz have chances to be GREAT players in the NFL. Hunt has everything you look for in an everydown back in the NFL. He has the size to be a bruiser, but the vison and quickness to hit the holes hard and fast. notice i said quickness, not breakaway speed... no one is going to confuse him with reggie bush, but when you can consistantly break tackles, and push piles foward you'll do just fine for yourself.

It's funny if you go to youtube and look at the vidoes that are up for Hunt and say, someone like Lynch, you would think Lynch is the second coming of Walter Petyon. NOt all college RB's can convert that greatness in the college game to the pros though. Whereas, some of lynch's runs were ridiculous, you have to take into consideration that he played in the pac 10, which has some of the worst defenses and tacklers in the college game. He can rip off some of those crazy runs, becuase guys that should have made the tackle with ease near the line of scrimmage don't. Now you look at Hunt in the Big 10 - which has much better defenses -he still impresses. He doesn't have the crazy highlights as lynch, but he's also playing against much better competition. Don't get me wrong, i'm not a lynch hater, i really like the guy and would be happy to see him as a Bill, but i think Hunt flies under the radar much of the time becasue he doesn't have the flashness of some other players. All he does is grab his lunchpal, goes to work every day, and rips off 5- 8- 12- yard runs while tacklers are being dragged behind him. Whoever gets him will be very happy with their pick.

Thank you. I was being flip. I'd be happy with the right drafted RB. I hope we don't go for some worn out truck like Dillon.

i'd love for the bills to deaft paul poz