Marv Levy Fan 590 Interview

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone care to summarize?

Can't do streaming audio/video at work...

Thanks!

He said that Willis' comments about Toronto didn't influence them, neither did the fact that he would hold out for 10 games.

One thing that he did reiterate was that the coaching staff is IN LOVE with the A-Train as well as the other guys that we have: Shaud and Fred Jackson who was the all-purpose yardage leader for NFL Europe.

He said that they want to win now and they brought in some guys last year of high character that provided a decent improvement from the year before.

He said that the OLine is an intrical part of our offensive structure and that it was to improve the running game, not to necessarily protect the QB.

Losman is the man at QB, no question.

He said that Willis' comments about Toronto didn't influence them, neither did the fact that he would hold out for 10 games.

One thing that he did reiterate was that the coaching staff is IN LOVE with the A-Train as well as the other guys that we have: Shaud and Fred Jackson who was the all-purpose yardage leader for NFL Europe.

Did he say why he hasn't been signed yet???

He also said that he was reminded that Willis could hold out for 10 games and thus become a free this season. They way he said he was reminded makes me think Rosendink was ready to play hardball.

He also said that he was reminded that Willis could hold out for 10 games and thus become a free this season. They way he said he was reminded makes me think Rosendink was ready to play hardball.

It took McGahee less than a day to sign a new contract that is quite reasonable by NFL standards (just look at what the Bills are paying Dockery). The Bills could have signed him just as fast if they wanted him. It would not have taken 10 weeks into the regular season to get a deal done. It could have been done yesterday (as it was with the Ravens).

This is just the Bills pr campaign to justify the deal.

I think the point is that Buffalo determined that Willis isn't worth that kind of $$. A guy who doesn't know the playbook on opening day isn't worth top 5 RB money - and that's what willis got. That is far from reasonable for an average RB, and that's what willis is. I think you'll find it difficult to argue that willis is worth that money. He's not. Period. End of question.

I think the ravens will need to justify spending all those picks AND the money. This was a fantastic trade for an average and overrated player.

It took McGahee less than a day to sign a new contract that is quite reasonable by NFL standards (just look at what the Bills are paying Dockery). The Bills could have signed him just as fast if they wanted him. It would not have taken 10 weeks into the regular season to get a deal done. It could have been done yesterday (as it was with the Ravens).

I think the point is that Buffalo determined that Willis isn't worth that kind of $$. A guy who doesn't know the playbook on opening day isn't worth top 5 RB money - and that's what willis got. That is far from reasonable for an average RB, and that's what willis is. I think you'll find it difficult to argue that willis is worth that money. He's not. Period. End of question.

I think the ravens will need to justify spending all those picks AND the money. This was a fantastic trade for an average and overrated player.

We shall see just how "average" he is with the Ravens. You may want to compare what McGahee got to what the Bills are paying Dockery.

As for the allegation that he did not know the playbook, I think that it is a bit sad that there appears to be a campaign to bad mouth him in the press to attempt to justify this deal -- which equates to essentially the same compensation as what the Bears got for Thomas Jones based on the NFL draft value chart.

We shall see what happens.

Tough to argue ANY of this. :nana:

I was surprised at the # of picks, too.

But IIRC, BAL was up against the cap, so dumping Lewis along with what they would have to pay him and acquiring WMG might have been some sort of wash. Dunno.

A good number of AFC north games are of course broadcast down here...Lewis didn't look very good, so BAL was going to do something. Adding in those picks - is sure seems that they overspent - as you mention.

You can't convince me the Bills would have shelled out a 7 year 40 million dollar contract to a slightly above average back.

You can't convince me the Bills would have shelled out a 7 year 40 million dollar contract to a slightly above average back.

No way can anyone justify that Willis is an "above average back" He was extremely AVERAGE and wanted top rated money.

We shall see just how "average" he is with the Ravens. You may want to compare what McGahee got to what the Bills are paying Dockery.

As for the allegation that he did not know the playbook, I think that it is a bit sad that there appears to be a campaign to bad mouth him in the press to attempt to justify this deal -- which equates to essentially the same compensation as what the Bears got for Thomas Jones based on the NFL draft value chart.

I think Willis WILL be an upgrade over Jamal Lewis, but you are mistaken in regards to compensation, the Jets deal equated to ONE 3rd round pick in the NFL draft value chart...the Bills received 2 thirds plus a 7th...

Sorry Mrs. McGahee, we will be nice to your little boy and not hurt his feelings anymore. We should have protested hard to make sure he was in the ProBowl while here cause he is the best RB in the league, he even said so himself (and now the rest of the national media is saying it too)

I think Willis WILL be an upgrade over Jamal Lewis, but you are mistaken in regards to compensation, the Jets deal equated to ONE 3rd round pick in the NFL draft value chart...the Bills received 2 thirds plus a 7th...

I was just thinking that, How could 2 - 3rds and a 7th equal swapping picks in the second round?

Will Willis be an upgrade for Baltimore, probably, Lewis is banged up and running out of gas. Baltimore s a good team and their line should make him run for over 1,000 yards. Was it a good move for both teams? Of course. He wasn't doing anything in Buffalo except tell us he's the best, and then save that for when they play the jets, (otherwise he became average) and he wanted top money. Buffalo gets a bunch of picks to continue rebuilding their team and compensation for a player who was in the final year of his contract and probably would not have re-signed next offseason.

Based on the NFL draft value chart, the value of what we received equates to 259 points. The value of what the Bears received equates to 246 points.