Value of McGahee Deal

Peter

For what it is worth, the value of the McGahee deal according to the NFL draft value chart is approximately 259 points. That equates to the 66th pick in the draft.

For comparison purposes, the value of the Thomas Jones deal was 246 points.

*The above calculation presumes that the Ravens pick 29th in each round next year (based on this year's position). Of course, the value of the deal will fluctuate depending on how the Ravens do this coming year.

Since I don't have an up-to-date draft point chart, would you check those numbers again? As I understood the Thomas Jones deal, all the Jets gave up was that they swapped second round positions with the Bears. The Bears are drafting 31 and the Jets are drafting 25. I can't believe moving six places in the second round is worth as much as two third round picks, plus a seventh.

Since I don't have an up-to-date draft point chart, would you check those numbers again? As I understood the Thomas Jones deal, all the Jets gave up was that they swapped second round positions with the Bears. The Bears are drafting 31 and the Jets are drafting 25. I can't believe moving six places in the second round is worth as much as two third round picks, plus a seventh.

I was thinking the same thing. I question the math here.....

They swapped the 37th pick for the 63rd pick.

Jones Trade

ok i checked it...... the jets spent, through the draft trade, 254 points to get thomas jones (who i think is better then mcgayhee imo)

the ravens spent, with the three draft picks, 259 points to get mchomo..

looking at the chart 259 points would equal the 66th pick in the draft overall.. all of this of course assuming the ravens will do the same in 07 as they did in 06. we all know they probably will.

ok i checked it...... the jets spent, through the draft trade, 254 points to get thomas jones (who i think is better then mcgayhee imo)

the ravens spent, with the three draft picks, 259 points to get mchomo..

looking at the chart 259 points would equal the 66th pick in the draft overall.. all of this of course assuming the ravens will do the same in 07 as they did in 06. we all know they probably will.

Unfortunately, it is not quite as good a deal as you are calculating. Common usage of the value chart by league GMs also contemplates that future draft picks are discounted by one round. The reason being that you don't get to use that pick THIS year.

So assuming that the Ravens pick in the same spot in 2008, this deal is actually worth 178. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Marv use these picks to upgrade one of our picks for this year.

For example, these picks plus our third could move us into the middle or middle bottom of the second round, or perhaps upgrade our second rounder into the bottom end of the first round.

I'm not actually thrilled with this deal, but I think the Ravens (or any other trading partner), knew they were going to be taking risk with Willis. He has potential, but only time will tell whether he can realize it with the Ravens.

Unfortunately, it is not quite as good a deal as you are calculating. Common usage of the value chart by league GMs also contemplates that future draft picks are discounted by one round. The reason being that you don't get to use that pick THIS year.

So assuming that the Ravens pick in the same spot in 2008, this deal is actually worth 178. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Marv use these picks to upgrade one of our picks for this year.

For example, these picks plus our third could move us into the middle or middle bottom of the second round, or perhaps upgrade our second rounder into the bottom end of the first round.

I'm not actually thrilled with this deal, but I think the Ravens (or any other trading partner), knew they were going to be taking risk with Willis. He has potential, but only time will tell whether he can realize it with the Ravens.

You are correct that the third next year should be discounted. I also do not think that it is such a great deal for the Bills.

You are correct that the third next year should be discounted. I also do not think that it is such a great deal for the Bills.

Well, I think it's an OK deal. I think the Bills decided they really couldn't have the guy on the team any longer. The year he had was not going to make him a super hot commodity. I think the Ravens think THEY can make him the back he has the potential to be, and that may be true, who knows? But the Bills were never going to get that from him, so I think they decided to cut bait and run while they could.

I believe the Bills will pick up a RB in the first two rounds. My money is on Mike Bush. He reminds me of Thurman Thomas. A guy that showed great abiliity, screwed up his knee and missed his last season. Can lightening strike twice?? Maybe Marv thinks so!!

I believe the Bills will pick up a RB in the first two rounds. My money is on Mike Bush. He reminds me of Thurman Thomas. A guy that showed great abiliity, screwed up his knee and missed his last season. Can lightening strike twice?? Maybe Marv thinks so!!

We can only hope.

Though originally everyone was saying the Bills would get only a 3rd pick for him so I'd say Marv did pretty well.

Trading past 1st round picks for 3rd round picks is a sure-fire path to long term mediocrity.

The Bills are making moves for sure, but is the team improving?

So far the Bills have lost three starters: CB Clements, LB Fletcher, RB McGahee - Who is going to fill those holes and will they be upgrades?

Dockery looks like a solid addition, but the Bills look worse now than they did a month ago to any objective viewer.