Who was a bigger hitter? Clements or Winfield?

It's tough seeing players like this walk. I would have to say Nate was a bigger hitter, but it's pretty close to call. It was fun watching Winfield because he was so small.

Another question - was Nate the most naturally athletic player ever in a bills uniform?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's tough seeing players like this walk. I would have to say Nate was a bigger hitter, but it's pretty close to call. It was fun watching Winfield because he was so small.

Another question - was Nate the most naturally athletic player ever in a bills uniform?

I think Winfield might be classified as a bigger hitter because he might have perceived to pack more punch because of his smaller frame. Yet Nate was a far superior all around athlete/CB then Antoine was/is.

Though in terms of natural athlete think OJ still holds that honor with Bruce Smith second. I'm sure one could also put Cookie Gilchrist in this list although Nate might rank in the top 5 but to be honest I was born in 1977 so missed the entire AFL era and only saw OJ in retrospect so I might not be the best judge.

Antoine Winfield is a better pure hitter, Nate is a better placement hitter. Where winfield would deliver great hits, Nate knows how to time hits to force fumbles, good as a hitter as Winfield is he doesn't hold a candle to Nate when it comes to forcing fumbles only 5 to Nates 13. As Far as most athletic bills player ever OJ(granted I never saw him play but going by highlights I've seen) and Bruce

I think Nate had more big plays but due to his gambling got torched more and missed more tackles than Winfield..than again, he got more pics ...and 80Grrrr.

Two words for you San Fran...JONAS JENNINGS.hahahah That said, I'm sorry to lose Clements, MoFo could bring it.

I was going to say most athletic pound for pound, Thurman Thomas but as the otherguy said..OJ..hard to argue with the Juice, hell the juice could still probably get a starting job KILLIN' it on or off the field in the NFL today.

Nate is the bigger hitter but A Winfield was a much more consistent hitter/tackler. Man, when starts those tackling sprees in is just plain fun to watch! Submarines those guys legs at high speeds and thy just fly. Great stuff and I miss him...

I will miss Nate too except when it is "time to knock it down!" and win a game. :lol:

Go Bills!

Antoine was definately the better tackler, guy could snag a greased pig while blindfolded & drunk. Nate could deliver the nasty blow better though. Anyone remember when he crashed into Ricky Williams' knee a few years ago when Ricky ran for like 200+ on us in the first half and we came back to win. As far as most athletic players are concerned, Im surprised nobody mentioned moulds, c'mon, before he became what he is now he was a fantastic athlete, could jumo, run, cut, and power his way to all sorts of good stuff. He averaged like 19.1 ypc one year with FLUTIE tossing the ball I believe. At one time he was also an explosive return man.

A friend of mine once played basketball with moulds and said he was downright sick.

I wouldn't really classify either of these guys as a "big hitter". Winfield was definetly one of the best pure tacklers that has ever been in a Bills uniform. His shoe-string tackles were some of the best open field tackles that i can ever remember seeing. I'd even give coverage to Winfield over Clements, he could just never catch the ball, but was very rarely beat by anyone.

Winfield I think was easily a more consistent tackler and a bigger hitter (certainly pound for pound and probably on an absolute basis as well. I still remember we he seemed to almost single handedly destroy the offensive gameplan of Jacksonville by pinching up when they attempted to throw short swing passes to the TE in the backfield and AW took down this much bigger man twice well behind the LOS. Aslo, there was a great game against KC where the Bills crossed them up by having AW ignore their adequate at best WRs and instead simply take Tony Gonzalez out of the game with great coverage and vicious hits if he brought the ball in.

AW was such a solid tackler the Bills had no fear assigning him a TE and I do not remember NC getting this type of responsibility as a consistent assignment.

In terms of raw athleticism, I don;t think any Bills compared to Eric Moulds in his prime and several years before and after. It was often acknowledged by his teammates not to bet against Moulds when he offered to take on his teammates in sports ranging from basketball to bowling because he routinely won these battles.

Winfield by far was the better tackler.....sh-- He might be the best tackling CB in the league....

As far as better hitter...I'd give it to Clements....Winfield was way to fundamental in his tacklingto be known as a hitter.....

But Clements was by far the better cover corner....

Pretty sad that we couldnt keep either of them.... :lol:

Top 10 (In Order)

1. Eric Moulds

2. OJ Simpson

3. Thurman Thomas

4. Bruce Smith

5. Lee Evans (will be #1 before he is done)

6. Andre Reed

7. Nate Clements

8. Henry Jones

9. JP Losman

10. Cornelius Bennett

Top 10 (In Order)

1. Eric Moulds

2. OJ Simpson

3. Thurman Thomas

4. Bruce Smith

6. Andre Reed

7. Nate Clements

8. Henry Jones

9. JP Losman

10. Cornelius Bennett

What, no love for James Lofton, Brian Moorman or Chris Watson?

Top 10 (In Order)

1. Eric Moulds

2. OJ Simpson

3. Thurman Thomas

4. Bruce Smith

6. Andre Reed

7. Nate Clements

8. Henry Jones

9. JP Losman

10. Cornelius Bennett

While we are on the subject of Top 10 lists, lets do the all-time biggest draft or free-agent busts in Bills history

1. Erik Flowers

2. Mike Williams

3. JD Williams

4. Drew Bledsoe

5. Lawyer Milloy

Help me out........

While we are on the subject of Top 10 lists, lets do the all-time biggest draft or free-agent busts in Bills history

1. Erik Flowers

2. Mike Williams

3. JD Williams

4. Drew Bledsoe

5. Lawyer Milloy

Help me out........

Walt Patulski

Tom Cousineau