March Movies: 300, TMNT, Blades of Glory, & Wild Hogs....

Mark Vader

Hi all, I know i'm a little late again, but with free agency starting I've been distracted. Anyway, here's what we have to look forward too this month. With the Oscars behind us, the Spring Season arrives which will start to bring some bigger titles to tide us over before this year's monstrous Summer Season.

Leading the charge is the Warner Bros. graphic novel/historical movie "300". The WB studio has used non-stop marketing for weeks promoting this movie, which will also open in Imax theatres day-and-date with traditional cinemas. Starring Gerard Butler & Lena Headey, the story takes place in 480 B.C., as Spartan king Leonidas leads 300 of his warriors into the famous battle of Thermopylae with the Persian army. Since the success of 2000's Gladiator, historical epics have come back to movie theatres in a strong way. Visual epic battles have attracted many audiences with other films like Troy, and the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Studios have been wanting to make a movie based on this defining moment in history, and found it with Frank Miller's graphic novel. After Miller's success with 2005's Sin City, WB is hoping to find even bigger success with "300". The visual flare of the movie looks amazing, and other studios have taken notice, as no other movie will open wide the same weekend.

Warner Bros. also brings back a famous group of heroes, this time giving them the CGI treatment with "TMNT". The teenage mutant ninja turtles became very famous from the late 80's to early 90's, as two live action movies were made during the height of their popularity. Now the studio hopes to bring back that popularity in this fully animated movie. This movie is being treated as a sequel to the first two installments. In this movie, a disgruntled tech-industrialist's plan for world domination is brought up against a team of ninja-trained turtles who live in the sewers of Manhattan: Leonardo, Michelangelo, Donatello and Raphael. But first they have to get over the humiliation they suffered at the hands of their arch nemesis -- a defeat which caused the Turtles to grow apart.

The animation looks superb, and the script is apparently more edgy than the light hearted earlier films. Patrick Stewart, Mako, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Ziyi Zhang, Chris Evans, & Laurence Fishburne lend their voices to the film.

Aiming for big laughs is the Will Ferrell, Jon Heder comedy, "Blades of Glory". Ferrell & Heder are two rival Olympic ice skaters who were stripped of their gold medals and permanently banned from men's single competition in 2002. Presently, however, they've found a loophole that will allow them to qualify as a pairs team.

The potential for big laughs is phenomonal.

Also looking for laughter are John Travolta, Tim Allen, Martin Lawrence, & William H.Macy in "Wild Hogs". In this film, a quartet of middle-aged wannabe bikers look for adventure out on the open road, where they soon encounter a chapter of the Hell's Angels. Again more potential for big laughs.

Disney proved a couple years ago that they could do CGI without Pixar, by making Chicken Little. Now they will give it another go with "Meet the Robinsons". Based on the best-seller by Wiliam Joyce, a boy genius named Lewis has his latest invention stolen by the nefarious Bowler Hat Guy. Just when he's given up hope he'll ever retrieve his creation, he meets Wilbur Robinson, a curious young fellow from the future, who invites him to travel forward in time to meet his eccentric extended family. The animation looks great, but will this movie do repeat business?

Adam Sandler goes the drama route with "Reign Over Me". Co-starring Don Cheadle & Jada Pinkett Smith, this story follows Charlie Fineman(Sandler) who has'nt been the same since he lost his wife and daughters on 9/11. When he meets his old college buddy, Alan Johnson(Cheadle), he begins to rekindle their old friendship, which in turn helps him to deal with his loss.

In "Premonition" Sandra Bullock loses her husband(Julian McMahon) in a car accident. But, when her husband reappears the day after he died, she looks to rearrange events and prevent the tragedy from occurring.

Two San Francisco Chronicle employees (Jake Gyllenhaal & Mark Ruffalo) work alongside a homicide inspector (Robert Downey Jr.) to learn the identity of a serial killer terrorizing the Bay Area, in "Zodiac".

Chris Rock directs and stars in "I Think I Love My Wife". Richard Cooper(Rock) who's married to the ultimate career woman (Gina Torres) finds his will and morals tested when he meets a free-spirited younger lady (Kerry Washington).

In "Shooter" Mark Whalberg plays a marksman living in exile who is coaxed back into action after learning of a plot to kill the president.

Early on in the Vietnam War, U.S. fighter pilot Dieter Dengler is shot down and captured in Laos. Banding together with some of his fellow POWs, Dengler escapes and makes his way through the jungle in hopes of being rescued. Christian Bale, Steve Zahn, & Jeremy Davies star in "Rescue Dawn".

A God-fearing bluesman (Samuel L. Jackson) takes to a wild young woman (Christina Ricci) who, as a victim of childhood sexual abuse, looks everywhere for love, never quite finding it, in "Black Snake Moan".

In "The Last Mimzy", A box of toys sent from the future is found by two siblings who develop special and terrifying new abilities soon after their discovery. Timothy Hutton, Rainn Wilson, & William Fichtner star.

Inspired by true events, at the Philadelphia Department of Recreation, coach Jim Ellis turns a group of troubled teens into one of the best swim teams in the country. Terrence Howard & Bernie Mac star.

In "Dead Silence", A young widower returns home in order to investigate his wife's murder, where he encounters the legend that has turned Raven's Fair into a ghost town.

In "Skinwalkers", A 12 year old boy is targeted by two werewolf packs in the midst of a brutal civil war. Some want him dead, others want him safe, and it's up to his mother to figure out why.

Finally, A group of National Guard trainees are attacked by those pesky mutants during a training mission in the New Mexico desert, in "The Hills Have Eyes 2".

Calendar with trailers

3/2

Black Snake Moan: http://www.moanmovie.com/

Zodiac: http://www.moanmovie.com/

Wild Hogs: http://wildhogs.movies.go.com/

3/9

300: http://300themovie.warnerbros.com/

3/16

Dead Silence: http://www.deadsilencemovie.net/

Premonition: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809420479/trailer

I Think I Love My Wife: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809697054/trailer

3/21

Shooter: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809733437/trailer

3/23

Pride: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809280946/trailer

Reign Over Me: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809424572/trailer

The Hills Have Eyes 2: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809752011/trailer

TMNT: http://tmnt.warnerbros.com/

The Last Mimzy: http://www.mimzy.com/

3/30

Blades of Glory: http://www.bladesofglorymovie.com/

Meet The Robinsons: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809417093/trailer

Skinwalkers: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809266194/trailer

That's all for now. See you later.

Thanks, mark!

Some pretty interesting offerings there, actually. It takes a pretty girl to get me to actually go to the theater nowadays, so most of these will end up on my Netflix queue....but I have to say it looks like a really strong month! Will Ferrell is up there with Steve Carell in the "can do no wrong" category for me, so I can't wait to see the Blades of Glory flick. Something tells me it will be even funnier than the previews.

I'm completely fascinated by '300'....REALLY looking forward to that one. I'm also a big fan of Chris Rock, so I"m glad to see him with a big screen project again....seems like he's not around as often as he should be. I enjoy his combination of wit, satire, and (a touch of) potty humor.

Not a bad month!

THIS IS SPARTAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

If they wanted to make a really good move about Thermopylae they should have used Steven Pressfields' "Gates of Fire"

I will go to see 300 but I'm afraid it's going to be "The 300 Spartans" meets the "Matrix"

If they wanted to make a really good move about Thermopylae they should have used Steven Pressfields' "Gates of Fire"

I will go to see 300 but I'm afraid it's going to be "The 300 Spartans" meets the "Matrix"

i'm sorry...i was trying to pay attention to what you said but your avatar is distracting me

where's the original image?

i'm sorry...i was trying to pay attention to what you said but your avatar is distracting me

where's the original image?

I cant figure out whats going on with the avatar

A movie about Dieter Dengler? About time. He was a legend to those of us who flew in unpleasant places in the war. They talked about him all the time in the various survival schools. I gotta see that movie. I learned a lot from him. Most important thing? Don't get shot down!

Thanks, mark!

Some pretty interesting offerings there, actually. It takes a pretty girl to get me to actually go to the theater nowadays, so most of these will end up on my Netflix queue....but I have to say it looks like a really strong month! Will Ferrell is up there with Steve Carell in the "can do no wrong" category for me, so I can't wait to see the Blades of Glory flick. Something tells me it will be even funnier than the previews.

I'm completely fascinated by '300'....REALLY looking forward to that one. I'm also a big fan of Chris Rock, so I"m glad to see him with a big screen project again....seems like he's not around as often as he should be. I enjoy his combination of wit, satire, and (a touch of) potty humor.

Not a bad month!

I can't wait to see that one, I think it may be like Talledaga nights, a movie thats not supposed to be taken seriously and just to get you to laugh. And finaaly it looks like John Heder will be in a good movie again, I had almost lost faith in him doing anything good since his first film Napolean Dynomite.

300 looks like its going to be one of those movies were the plot is second o the amazing effects. One of those movies thats worth the price of admission just to see the effects.

Otherwise,

Wild Hogs looks like it could be good for some laughs. Decent cast of some of Hollywoods stars in a comedy, worth taking a look at

Meet the Robinsons might be a hit with some kids, but how can they say that Disney proved they could do CGI without Pixar? he Pixar movies were huge boxoffice movies, and Chicken Little was nothing huge. I didn't even know it was a disney movie

Reign over me looks like it could be another good one, but could be one of those ones were the previews could make it look better then it really is. Like Wil Smiths last movie (from what I have heard). So far I have not been impressed with Sandlers "Dramatic acting" but Don Cheadle is pretty good.

Premenition, with Sandra Bullock? no thanks, I just can't watch anything with her in it. She seems like a nice person, I'm a fan of her Husband and his work, but can't really stomach her

Zodiac and Shooter are ones I would watch when they came out on video

I think I love my wife sounds like it could be good, I believe Rock also wrote the film, but either way, just him starring in it might make it a decent movie

Rescue Dawn sounds like another one I will check out when it comes to DVD

Black Snake Moan doesn't really intrigue me, unless I am guaranteed a couple of Ricci nude scenes, then maybe I will watch it when it comes out on DVD (shes not a 10, but shes alright)

The Last Mimzy, childrens movie, I'll pass

The one about the swim team, PASS

Dead Silence and Skinwalkers are ones I might watch if Someone rents it and I don't have anything else to do, otherwise I won't rush out to see it

The Hills Have Eyes 2, I may see it just because I saw the first one and didn't think it was horrible, but I see this as being a disapointment like most sequels are.

Not a bad month!

Has anyone seen Chris Rock's tv show Everyone hates Chris? I watched it for the first time the other night. It was actually pretty funny. I was thinking it was going to be stupid but I found myself enjoying it.

Thanks Mark, as always, for the reviews! I'll probably eventually see most of these movies as they all sound pretty good! :censored:

Has anyone seen Chris Rock's tv show Everyone hates Chris? I watched it for the first time the other night. It was actually pretty funny. I was thinking it was going to be stupid but I found myself enjoying it.

Thanks Mark, as always, for the reviews! I'll probably eventually see most of these movies as they all sound pretty good! :rolleyes:

but you're 19% stupid, so maybe you were the target audience? :devil:

dib Posted Mar 7 2007, 07:18 AM

QUOTE(formerlycollegeguy @ Mar 7 2007, 12:36 AM)

THIS IS SPARTAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually dib, there was a plan to make a movie based on the book Gates of Fire. After the success of Gladiator, I believe Warner Bros. bought the rights to the book, and they attracted interest from Michael Mann to direct.

However, it just never worked out, and they decided not to make it, so instead they went with 300.

2 things here...Sandra Bullock is at worst 3rd on my list, behind heather locklear and jennifer anniston...so watch it bub! :lol: Second...do you have inside info that there is the possibility of seeing alot more of christina ricci in this movie????? That would definitely put my ass in the theater :(

Premenition, with Sandra Bullock? no thanks, I just can't watch anything with her in it. She seems like a nice person, I'm a fan of her Husband and his work, but can't really stomach her

Black Snake Moan doesn't really intrigue me, unless I am guaranteed a couple of Ricci nude scenes, then maybe I will watch it when it comes out on DVD (shes not a 10, but shes alright)

2 things here...Sandra Bullock is at worst 3rd on my list, behind heather locklear and jennifer anniston...so watch it bub! :lol: Second...do you have inside info that there is the possibility of seeing alot more of christina ricci in this movie????? That would definitely put my ass in the theater :(

She does have a sex scene with Justin Timberlake I believe, Its on the net somewhere from this movie. I believe I saw a link of it through a site like collegehumor.com

I watched it quickly a while ago and I don't think you see much of her, and thankfully not much of him in the clip.

As for Sandra, not trying to offend anyone, but I just can't stand any of her stuff. She does nothing for me either.

"Reign Over Me" looks like a very good movie from what I've seen from the preview and read a little bit about. Good to see Sandler get away from the Billy Madison-type movie; if he could put in a half-way decent performance (and I think he has that potential, playing someone who is just completely... lost) Cheadle can carry the rest. Hopefully not too much psychobabble, but there are a lot of people still recovering from and trying to reconcile what happened on 9/11, in varying degrees. Could be a great movie.

This is from someone who's actually gone to the theatre once in ~ the past 10 years b/c Hollywood has mostly put out crap.

A movie about Dieter Dengler? About time. He was a legend to those of us who flew in unpleasant places in the war. They talked about him all the time in the various survival schools. I gotta see that movie. I learned a lot from him. Most important thing? Don't get shot down!

Looks like a good movie too. Christian Bale is becoming one of the top actors out there. I just recently saw The Prestige and I thought he and Hugh Jackman were excellent. We need more movies with these guys.

She does have a sex scene with Justin Timberlake I believe, Its on the net somewhere from this movie. I believe I saw a link of it through a site like collegehumor.com

I watched it quickly a while ago and I don't think you see much of her, and thankfully not much of him in the clip.

As for Sandra, not trying to offend anyone, but I just can't stand any of her stuff. She does nothing for me either.

Did he give her a special Christmas box?