Chris Brown is coming to Buffalo tomorrow for a visit...

Very interesting.

Clearly the Bills brain trust has a lot on its mind right now regarding the backfield. We can only speculate what their intent is right now. But the next week and a half will bring some clarity to what the Bills are trying to do with respect to Willis, A-train, potential free agent acquisitions, trades.

Very interesting.

Clearly the Bills brain trust has a lot on its mind right now regarding the backfield. We can only speculate what their intent is right now. But the next week and a half will bring some clarity to what the Bills are trying to do with respect to Willis, A-train, potential free agent acquisitions, trades.

I wouldn't count on that. I see this thing being only getting cleared come draft day. Brown and Rhodes are backup players only, that can't be relied upon as starting tail backs. Willis' trade value just went south along with San Diego's MT "we're only trading Turner for a 1st and 3rd" (that sounds very funny after a pro bowl caliber RB like Jones fetched only a switch of 2nd round picks). This thing will sort itself out only when push comes to shove and teams are on the clock having players with only a 1 year shelf life like McGahee and Turner.

Willis is staying. These are replacements for the A-Train.

well there just staying to talk rhodes is gonna be a starter somewhere and brown thats the reason besides injurys, he didnt play complaining about henry and drafting white.

Between the arrival of Rhodes and Brown, I can't help but wonder if the staff either has something in the works for McGahee, or they've resolved to unload him at any cost.

See my post in the "McGahee Trade" thread for more on that line of thinking.

Anyhow, I love the thought of bringing CHris Brown in. He runs high and takes some hits but the guy can get it done. In 2004 the Titans let Eddie George and the giant fork in his back walk on down the road, however, i doubted this Chris Brown guy. THat august i attended a presason game at the ralph vs the titans. On that day I realized Chris Brown had the talent to start at RB for us. Always looking for the extra edge, I drafted him a little high in my fantasy league, 6th or 7th round that year. I was ridiculed, for the better part of the next 2 mnths i destroyed people because Chris Brown was a god, staying on pace with my #1 back, Edge. I then traded CB, but the point is. He only really got to start that one year, 2 years ago him and Travis split time and he was hurt sometimes. Last year he was a bit of a malcontent , but I understand, when you played the way he did to not be given a 2nd chance to prove yourself as "the guy" probobly doesnt sit too well with one.

The point is this: Brown has the skills, enough speed, burst and vision with enough power to get it done. You throw him in there as a 1-2 punch with a potential bruiser and it could be a very dangerous backfield. Plus, CB has decent(but not great) hands out of the backfield. I would love to see us sign this guy for a relative bargain, even if its only a 1 year deal to buy us some time before marv finds the next thurman or whatever it is he's lookin for.

Personally I feel as though you could pus any kind of back behind this line and we'd be successful, but I think we'll do best with a 1-cut and go, balanced type back who can catch. A Broncos-type guy or like a Tiki Barber, Shaun Alexander. The point is, I believe that outside of physical attributes, vision will probobly be the most critical factor for whatever back we have. As far as that goes, I feel that sometimes McGahee has it, and sometimes he just doesnt.

Anyhow, I love the thought of bringing CHris Brown in. He runs high and takes some hits but the guy can get it done. In 2004 the Titans let Eddie George and the giant fork in his back walk on down the road, however, i doubted this Chris Brown guy. THat august i attended a presason game at the ralph vs the titans. On that day I realized Chris Brown had the talent to start at RB for us. Always looking for the extra edge, I drafted him a little high in my fantasy league, 6th or 7th round that year. I was ridiculed, for the better part of the next 2 mnths i destroyed people because Chris Brown was a god, staying on pace with my #1 back, Edge. I then traded CB, but the point is. He only really got to start that one year, 2 years ago him and Travis split time and he was hurt sometimes. Last year he was a bit of a malcontent , but I understand, when you played the way he did to not be given a 2nd chance to prove yourself as "the guy" probobly doesnt sit too well with one.

The point is this: Brown has the skills, enough speed, burst and vision with enough power to get it done. You throw him in there as a 1-2 punch with a potential bruiser and it could be a very dangerous backfield. Plus, CB has decent(but not great) hands out of the backfield. I would love to see us sign this guy for a relative bargain, even if its only a 1 year deal to buy us some time before marv finds the next thurman or whatever it is he's lookin for.

Personally I feel as though you could pus any kind of back behind this line and we'd be successful, but I think we'll do best with a 1-cut and go, balanced type back who can catch. A Broncos-type guy or like a Tiki Barber, Shaun Alexander. The point is, I believe that outside of physical attributes, vision will probobly be the most critical factor for whatever back we have. As far as that goes, I feel that sometimes McGahee has it, and sometimes he just doesnt.

Chris has shown good talent when on the field.

Unfortunately he is not on the field very much.

He is injured ALL the time.

not a guy you want to rely on.

I wonder how much the injuries have sapped him of his prior abilities. If he was so great -- why did Travis beat him out of a job? The same Travis who lost his job back in 2004 here to Willis? I'm OK with CB as a replacement for A-Train. Not sure I'd be comfortable with him subbing for Willis. Now, maybe a combination of CB AND DR...

I wonder how much the injuries have sapped him of his prior abilities. If he was so great -- why did Travis beat him out of a job? The same Travis who lost his job back in 2004 here to Willis? I'm OK with CB as a replacement for A-Train. Not sure I'd be comfortable with him subbing for Willis. Now, maybe a combination of CB AND DR...

Are you comfortable with a Brown/Rhodes backfield in lieu of a McGahee/Thomas backfield?

Are you comfortable with a Brown/Rhodes backfield in lieu of a McGahee/Thomas backfield?

No, not necessarily. I would view either a healthy CB or Rhodes as an improvement over Thomas. But neither is an upgrade over Willis.

It also depends on what we can get for Willis in a trade. Personally, I still do not think that Willis is going anywhere, as I do not believe that another team will cough up a Day 1 pick (or decent player) for him. Thus, I hope Rhodes and Brown are being pursued as compliments to Willis -- rather as potential replacements. Regardless of what happens, I fully expect Marv to draft a young back on Day 1 of the draft.

Honestly, I dont know why they soured so quickly on CB in Nashville, but I have a close friend who used to work for the Titans, next time we talk Ill try to clarify. In the past he has enlightened me as to what was why certain players werent reaching potential (Tank Williams/Tyrone Calico: both tried to come back from knee injuries too quickly) and over a year ago he told that Pacman was "a freakin clown". So Im sure he would have some insight.

I would feel plenty good about the Brown/Rhodes backfield except for the fact that both are somewhat injury proine, but then again its not like Willis and A-train are ironmen.

It would be especially good for a 1-season or so thing. I do think it would be best to pick up a back on day 1 though if McGahee isnt going to be our long term guy, because its priceless to be able to have a set of "triplets"

Honestly who knows whats really going on outside of Marv and his staff? I wouldn't say just because they brought in FA's that WM is gone definitely. Sometimes teams bring in FA's as a smokescreen for something else or showing misdirection for draft purposes. I have no clue how this is all going to play out...

Honestly, I dont know why they soured so quickly on CB in Nashville, but I have a close friend who used to work for the Titans, next time we talk Ill try to clarify. In the past he has enlightened me as to what was why certain players werent reaching potential (Tank Williams/Tyrone Calico: both tried to come back from knee injuries too quickly) and over a year ago he told that Pacman was "a freakin clown". So Im sure he would have some insight.

I would feel plenty good about the Brown/Rhodes backfield except for the fact that both are somewhat injury proine, but then again its not like Willis and A-train are ironmen.

It would be especially good for a 1-season or so thing. I do think it would be best to pick up a back on day 1 though if McGahee isnt going to be our long term guy, because its priceless to be able to have a set of "triplets"

I say we have AT WM CB and DR just have them all battle it out best man wins. haha j/k

Is it possible that Marv is bringing in Rhodes/Brown to put a little pressure on A-Train to get back in the fold? Also, McGahee seems to needs a little help getting motivated to play his best. Maybe all the trade talk is Marv's way of saying to McGahee "I don't think you're indispensable" and giving him a little chip on his shoulder to play hard. Marv is basically telling McGahee to get with the program or you're out of town. I think if the right offer came, he'd take it, but I don't see that even potentially happening until the draft.

RTB