How does Okoye make sense?

Many seem to think DT's are interchangeable, that a nose plays the same role as three or a visa versa. DT's are meant to play either one technique or the other, and very few are as effective, or even capable of playing both positions. I'm all for adding a DT, but with our needs he has to be the right DT. Being a classic three technique DT I don't see how Okoye is that player.

As a three technique tackle you’re a smaller, quick player, which excels in pass rushing and stopping the run with penetration. As a nose tackle you line up head on, often encountering double teams. You must be big enough and strong enough to hold your positioning on the line. More times then not a three guy isn't even capable of playing nose, and if he is, he isn't at his ideal position. The qualities of the two positions just demand such different skill sets that it's rare to find a guy who can play both with equal effectiveness.

Right now we have........

1. Tripplett- Only a three

2. Williams- Tweener, can play either three or nose, but isn't dominating enough at NT to solve our run problems

3. McCargo- Is a three that some felt he could play NT, if he does see Kyle Williams

4. Anderson- Is a nose, but not a very good nose

Three of our top four DT's are best suited to play the three techniques. The other DT, Tim Anderson, is a very bad NT. We need run stopping help more then anything which is a job that a NT is meant to solve.

To paint a real world scenario of this just look at what happened to the run defense when P. Williams left. He was our NT, and after his departure the run D broke down. The following year we needed Adams to play NT but he wouldn't because it's the no glory position for DT's, and he viewed himself as a penetrating/three technique tackle. If the Bills want to make significant gains at Run Defense we need a true NT, not another 3 technique player.

Check out this article in which our very own staff discusses the differences in our system.

http://northcarolinastate.scout.com/2/525772.html

Well, Okoye was considered a very good nose tackle prospect until this past season when he slimmed down and started to shoot gaps instead. If we drafted him, we would ask him to bulk back up again to play the nose. Considering he went from 317 after his junior year to 287 at the Senior Bowl back up to 305 at the combine, he seems to be able to add/lose weight at will.

Well, Okoye was considered a very good nose tackle prospect until this past season when he slimmed down and started to shoot gaps instead. If we drafted him, we would ask him to bulk back up again. Considering he went from 317 to 287 at the Senior Bowl back up to 305 at the combine, he seems to be able to add/lose weight at will.

Great another round peg in a square hole. Its one thing to draft a diverse player late like Williams, but to draft a three early with the intention of him being your starting NT would be amazingly stupid.

I think without over analyizing the "scheme" thing he would make sense because he would be better than any DL we have on the roster (if he is the player that everyone says he is). The DT situation is bleak. I think he could probably in any system, with the right coaching;he seems quite intelligent and motivated.

All this tallk about Okoye may be eventually be irrelevant. His stock in the draft is rising. He may be gone before we even have a chance.

And it may also be irrelevant because the Bills may have him rated lower than the draft gurus. All the conjecture and speculation is fun but their draft board will probably look completely different than we imagine (ex. 2006)

Just understand that if we draft Okoye it will be to play the same DT position Tripplett, McCargo, and Williams are ideally suited at. He would probably still upgrade the three but how important is that in the scheme of our needs?

Only important if he is rated so high by them that they have to take him. Otherwise , a run stopping stud LB, a stud CB or a RB, if Willis is gone, would seem to make more sense in round 1. There is more than one round as I'm sure you know and good to great players can be found in Rd. 2 and so on.

Only important if he rated so high by them that they have to take them. Otherwise , a run stopping stud LB, a stud CB or a RB, if Willis is gone, would seem to make more sense in round 1. There is more than one round as I'm sure you know and good to great players can be found in Rd. 2 and so on.

I would agree with that, less the RB. I like Michael Bush possibly in the 2nd.

Great another round peg in a square hole. Its one thing to draft a diverse player late like Williams, but to draft a three early with the intention of him being your starting NT would be amazingly stupid.

Like I said, he was much more of your traditional NT as recently as his junior year. Worst case scenario, he can't stop the run but he can provide an interior pass rush. That's a GOOD thing because right now our corners suck ass.

Mel Kiper's prediction: There's no doubt, the Buffalo Bills will pick either Haloti Ngata or Broderick Bunkley with the 8th overall pick.

A surprise coming out of Buffalo right now... Let's check in...

"With the 8th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft the Buffalo Bills select Donte Whitner from Ohio State University"

I love how people know who we're taking already...

Mel Kiper's prediction: There's no doubt, the Buffalo Bills will pick either Haloti Ngata or Broderick Bunkley with the 8th overall pick.

A surprise coming out of Buffalo right now... Let's check in...

"With the 8th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft the Buffalo Bills select Donte Whitner from Ohio State University"

I love how people know who we're taking already...

Ngata, I could only dream.

He's the better athlete available at 12 - if he's still available.

London Fletcher Baker 5'10" 245 lbs

Patrick Willis 6' 1 1/8" 242 lbs

PW lifted 22 reps at the combine

Some CornerBacks and Wide Receivers lifted 25+

Brady Quinn did 24

Marv wants a Banger in the middle.

I knew Banger.

Banger was a friend of mine.

And Willis sir, is no Banger.

Jason Peters is an object lesson in why athleticism is more important than position.

Draft the best available athlete.

To me, Okoye is the better athlete.

There's no comparison.

That said, Carriker will be our pick. Okoye won't get past Atlantis, and to your point KzooMike - Carriker is more a 3 tech guy.

Of course I'm probably wrong on all this, and Marv will be on stage in NY presenting PW with his Bills #49 Jersey on day one. :blink:

Just understand that if we draft Okoye it will be to play the same DT position Tripplett, McCargo, and Williams are ideally suited at. How important is that with our needs?

I'm definitely with you on your point as a whole, as I believe the nose tackle is the position that needs to be addressed and we're better off doing that through free agency. However, I don't think Kyle Williams is "ideally suited" to play the 3-technique position. He just doesn't have the quickness to shoot the gap and get into the backfield with the consistency that you need from that spot. I see Kyle Williams as a decent, developing nose tackle, who is going to improve as he adds strength and NFL experience.

That said, we still have Tripplett and McCargo at the 3 and only Williams at the nose (Anderson is good as gone), so whoever we add better be able to play on the nose. Unless we want to move McCargo, which I'm not ready to do. Okoye doesn't make too much sense, but wouldn't Alan Branch be nice?

I'm definitely with you on your point as a whole, as I believe the nose tackle is the position that needs to be addressed and we're better off doing that through free agency. However, I don't think Kyle Williams is "ideally suited" to play the 3-technique position. He just doesn't have the quickness to shoot the gap and get into the backfield with the consistency that you need from that spot. I see Kyle Williams as a decent, developing nose tackle, who is going to improve as he adds strength and NFL experience.

That said, we still have Tripplett and McCargo at the 3 and only Williams at the nose (Anderson is good as gone), so whoever we add better be able to play on the nose. Unless we want to move McCargo, which I'm not ready to do. Okoye doesn't make too much sense, but wouldn't Alan Branch be nice?

I'm very high on Williams and think if anybody can be a good NT it's him. I just would rather have a true NT, with Williams flowing back and fourth then having Williams stuck at NT.

Branch is exactly what we need.

Okay, so since you brought up the question, here's something to chew on.

I asked Chris Brown about our DT situation by e-mail. Although I understand the basics of our DT scheme (the 3-technique and 1-technique/NT are different positions requiring different skill players), it would seem that we need another DT to complement Triplett and McCargo (our current 3-technique guys) and Williams (our 1-technique guy, assuming Anderson is not on the roster next season). Therefore, wouldn't it make sense to get another 1-technique guy in FA or the draft?

His response:

I agree with you. The two positions are different though. The 3-technique position (Tripplett) is called that based on where he lines up (outside shade of the guard). He's the penetrator who is trying to disrupt things in the offensive backfield at all times. The 1-technique position (or nose tackle, plays on the outside shade of the center) is charged with holding up a pair of linemen as best as possible to allow the 3-technique to face more one-on-one matchups (which he is expected to win and make plays).

I think McCargo could play either the 3 or 1 technique and the Bills when they drafted him said in time he could be 1-technique (NT). If it were up to me and Amobi Okoye was still on the board at 12, I would take him. He could then rotate in with Tripplett (since he's a true 3-technique) and then you can make McCargo a full-time 1-technique and he can develop further as a nose tackle. He should eventually be a better player than Williams.

So there you go. If this coaching staff thinks McCargo would make a good 1-technique guy, then I'm fine with that. And it means Okoye would at least make some sense.

When did Carriker switch positions to become a DT.? He was a DE last I heard.

Furthermore, we are not at liberty to draft best athlete/player available. We must get players to fill our needs. LB, CB, and DT are our primary needs. If Ted Ginn Jr was available at 12, would you select him because we're thin at WR? You most certainly would not.

We do not have the luxury of drafting best player available. There is no LB worthy of being picked #12 in the draft. I'd rather they drop down in the first and pick up something in the second than pick a guy early because they want him.