Dockery must have been Bills' highest ranked guard

Everyone assumes that Steinbach and Dielman are the top two guards, but with the kind of money the Bills apparently threw at Dockery (i.e., essentially Steinbach/Dielman money), it's clear that they disagree.

They are in the ballpark of what it would have taken to sign any of the FA guards (give or take a few million). Most of us (and the media) assumed that Dockery was a bit below Steinbach and Dielman in terms of talent (and therefore money) - a good 2nd-tier option for a team that couldn't compete with the big dollar boys. But maybe not. Steinbach might be a better pass blocker and Dielman might be a better run blocker, but looking at the $ and listening to the comments, I think the Bills like Dockery better overall for their offense than either of the other two. And who's to say they're wrong?

Basically, for that kind of jack they could have been a player for any of the guards, and they chose to focus the Full Frontal Day One Free Agency Assault on Dockery.

Hope they're right. Pretty exciting.

I'm pretty sure both Steinbach and Dielman will get more money so I don't think it's all that "clear". Both Steinbach and Dielman were visiting other teams. We just happened to lockup the guy who wanted to visit us first. Which is fine.

I always thought Dockery was the best run blocker out of all of them

Based on rep or on your own observation?

I haven't seen much of the Skins the past few years (they bored the crap out of me), so I don't know.

I just think it's interesting that reading the tea leaves implies that the Bills like Dockery better than either of the other two, straight up. They weren't just "settling" for a second-tier, small-market type FA (at least in their own minds).

I'm pretty sure both Steinbach and Dielman will get more money so I don't think it's all that "clear". Both Steinbach and Dielman were visiting other teams. We just happened to lockup the guy who wanted to visit us first. Which is fine.

The Steinbach numbers kicking around right now (rumors, to be sure) are pretty close. But you might be right. We'll see.

Everyone assumes that Steinbach and Dielman are the top two guards, but with the kind of money the Bills apparently threw at Dockery (i.e., essentially Steinbach/Dielman money), it's clear that they disagree.

Hope they're right. Pretty exciting.

Excellent post. I was thinking pretty much the same thing. This is a lot like last year's draft. We, along with many of the "experts" (who are so great they are on TV instead of actually making choices for a team) thought higher of others, but the Bills disagreed and moved in their own direction. I know the jury is still out on Whitner, but I think that move is going to work out very well for us, and think the Dockery signing will, as well.

Based on rep or on your own observation?

I haven't seen much of the Skins the past few years (they bored the crap out of me), so I don't know.

I just think it's interesting that reading the tea leaves implies that the Bills like Dockery better than either of the other two, straight up. They weren't just "settling" for a second-tier, small-market type FA (at least in their own minds).

Like yourself, I haven't paid much attention to the Skins. However, it's worth noting they finished 7th in 2005 and 4th last year (without Portis for a major chunk of the season) in rushing. In fact, Ladell "Freaking" Betts finished with 1,154 yards and a 4.7 avg.

In contrast, the Bengals had finished 11th in 2005 and 26th in 2006. The Chargers finished 9th in 2005 and 2nd last year.

This mean mean absolutely nothing but personally, I don't think you can overpay for a young linemen. I think this is a great signing. :P

Excellent post. I was thinking pretty much the same thing. This is a lot like last year's draft. We, along with many of the "experts" (who are so great they are on TV instead of actually making choices for a team) thought higher of others, but the Bills disagreed and moved in their own direction. I know the jury is still out on Whitner, but I think that move is going to work out very well for us, and think the Dockery signing will, as well.

Again, they must have really liked Walker as well. They brought the guy in day one, and gave him 25 million after they had already signed Dockery. There is no way they were not in love with the guy.