Bills sign OG Derrick Dockery, 7 years $49M

prediction from fftoolbox:

Finally, the main name to watch for the Bills could be Indianapolis' Jake Scott. The three-year veteran entered the offseason as a restricted free agent, but he didn't receive a tender offer from the Colts. That means Scott, a right guard, will hit the unrestricted free-agent market, where he'll no doubt be actively pursued. Scott has started in 32 consecutive regular-season contests for Indy, and he's one of the linemen chiefly responsible for keeping Peyton Manning upright. The 6-5, 295-pounder would be a vast improvement over Preston on the right side of the line.

If Levy could land both Dockery and Scott that would be a major success in the free agency offseason in my opinion. Look to lock up Willis on maybe a 4 year deal this offseason not next year when he can hit the market. Then in the draft address lb and cb.

Do you have a link, by chance? I'd love to get Scott.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. I wonder how much Steinbach will get.

"Bengals lose 2, keep 1

Steinbach, Wilkins move on, but team gives Watson 3-year deal

BY MARK CURNUTTE | MCURNUTTE@ENQUIRER.COM 03/03/07

...Steinbach, one of the top unrestricted free agents on the market, agreed to terms on a seven-year, $49.5 million contract with AFC North division rival Cleveland. The Bengals were resigned to losing Steinbach, a versatile lineman who started 62 games the past four seasons.

Steinbach will receive $17 million in guaranteed money and $23 million over the first three seasons with the Browns. His numbers better those garnered by left guard Steve Hutchinson in Minnesota last year."...

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../703030352/1066

Is anyone else glad to see our GM following up on what he says this team's needs are? Granted, Marv isn't breaking the bank on high profile OLineman like Steinbeck, Hutchinson, Diel, but he has brought in 3 Offensive Linemen in the first day of FA and he is trying to shore up a unit that was pretty deficient in the for most of the year last year.

No, he'll break the bank on Dockery by paying him the same amount as Steinbach and Hutchinson. WTF Marv? Oh well, I trust he knows wheat he is doing.

Wow. I wonder how much Steinbach will get.

Same deal.

No, he'll break the bank on Dockery by paying him the same amount as Steinbach and Hutchinson. WTF Marv? Oh well, I trust he knows wheat he is doing.

Same deal.

Remarkable signings. A huge, young (and very well paid) offensive line pleases me. If its a case of "pick your poison" I'll try this one.

And 18 million guaranteed ? Are agents are playing ball on structure these days ? The simple signing bonus plus contract formula looks to be on the way out.

When you listen to player interviews anymore they all say the same thing about Buffalo, "I like where this organization is headed, I like the coach, I was fortunate to meet with Mr. Levy, etc." It's almost as if the "regime" has them brainwashed to repeat the same positive remarks in public and I think that's great.

But one thing that Dockery kept saying was "the fans are crazy here." Now, I don't presently reside in Buffalo, so I have to ask, Was there a pep ralley or something? To my knowledge, he has little first hand experience with the fans of Buffalo. I mean, I'm sure any team can put together some promotional film about their organization, city, etc- and in each case they would compile stock footage of CRAZY fans doing CRAZY things yadda yadda yadda.

Now-either there was a pep rally that I was unaware of, or Chris Brown made one HELL of a promotional video, or the Bills Organization was able to produce ACTUAL EVIDENCE that Buffalo Bills fans are fcking crazy. My guess is they logged on to this, or any other message board, and showed him the attention given ALL FCKING NIGHT to a nine year journey man, brought on to add versatility and depth...

Dockery was the Skins' starting left guard when they played at the Ralph in October 2003. Y'all may remember that game as "Welcome Back Rob Johnson Day". The place was as amped as I've ever seen it when RJ came in at QB for Washington, and (if possible) got even louder when Aaron Schobel sacked him on the next play. Think Roman Coliseum, with the Bills defense playing the part of the lions...

Dockery was the Skins' starting left guard when they played at the Ralph in October 2003. Y'all may remember that game as "Welcome Back Rob Johnson Day". The place was as amped as I've ever seen it when RJ came in at QB for Washington, and (if possible) got even louder when Aaron Schobel sacked him on the next play. Think Roman Coliseum, with the Bills defense playing the part of the lions...

Where you been woman? I've been waiting for your take on our signings !!

I'm excited for Dockery, and can't wait to see him play. I'm not sure that he isn't going to be as good as Dielman and Steinbach, but I don't know that we would have landed either of those guys for the same money. Who plays RG now? Preston was disappointing last year, Marv mentioned Butler moving inside (which with Walker would seem more likely). I am not interested in signing Gandy or drafting/signing any other O-Linemen at this point. I think we have depth and great starters, and really only one position battle available (RG), with Preston and Merz able to try to push Fowler on the depth chart for the future.

Espn failed to even talk about Dockery except how much money we paid him for. They talked about how Steinback would help the BROWNS, but Dockery was the most coveted guard in FA, and all you can say is that he many $49 million. SOMEONE NEEDS TO START ANOTHER I HATE ESPN THREAD!

Dockery was the most coveted guard in FA?

I'm feeling better and better about our organization all the time. Seems like for YEARS all the talk on this board has been that we need to invest in the line to protect - Johnson, Bledsoe, Losman, "fill in the blank"... And finally we will get to have a young beefy talented line. This might get fun again!

Thanks Marv & Co.

I heard on ESPN just at the tail end of the conservation byt they were saying that the Readskins were competing to keep Dockery, I for sure heard $18 mil guaranteed and I think I heard him say 12 mil over 3 years. I could have been mistaken. So Marv didn't really overpay, he had to beat out the Skins

I heard on ESPN just at the tail end of the conservation byt they were saying that the Readskins were competing to keep Dockery, I for sure heard $18 mil guaranteed and I think I heard him say 12 mil over 3 years. I could have been mistaken. So Marv didn't really overpay, he had to beat out the Skins

He's worth it. Remember, finding good OG these days isn't that easy. Best to hold on to them as long as possible.