Damion Shelton-not coming back

The Tomcat

Hargrove Tendered Contract

Howard Simon - Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 11:48 AM

Sources tell WGR the Buffalo Bills have tendered restricted free agent Anthony Hargrove a one year contract worth $850,000. The 6-3, 272 pound Hargrove was acquired by the Bills last October from St. Louis for a 5th round pick in this year's draft. He played in 10 games, recording 25 tackles and 1 sack. Teams can still offer Hargrove a contract but the Bills have the right to match the offer and retain Hargrove's services. If they declined, the Bills would receive a 3rd round draft pick as compensation.

Sources also tell WGR the Bills have decided not to re-sign fullback Daimon Shelton who is an unrestricted free agent. While Shelton is leaving, Shaud Williams is staying. The restricted free agent running back has reached agreement on a 2 year contract.

Return To WGR 550 Home Page »

Since he was not an RFA, then tendering really wasnt the issue. He is a 10 year vet or so and needs to go. I was upset last year when we signed Ricard and then kept Shelton, who had absolutely zero upside. Anyhow, this is a good thing. Shelton was good for about a 5 game stretch one year and that was it.

And if we did resign shaud williams, I guess im closer to jumping ship than I had ever previously realized.

Since he was not an RFA, then tendering really wasnt the issue. He is a 10 year vet or so and needs to go. I was upset last year when we signed Ricard and then kept Shelton, who had absolutely zero upside. Anyhow, this is a good thing. Shelton was good for about a 5 game stretch one year and that was it.

And if we did resign shaud williams, I guess im closer to jumping ship than I had ever previously realized.

I don't have a problem w/ retaining Shaud. Capable enough backup w/ experience in the system. If Marv&Dick blow up the entire backfield by dealing Willis, it might be prudent to have someone in the RB/FB meetings who isn't learning it all for the first time and can teach the other guys. Then again, he may not even make the cut in camp.

Just, if Joe Burns is signed again, it will prove he has nekkid pictures (possibly involving a goat, bovine or equine) of someone important.

I've been saying it for a couple of years now that Shelton has outlasted his usefulness. I think he was originally a stop-gap (he'd spent an entire season watching football on his couch), and then come offseason it just became a deal of 'We have badder fish to fry' and staying with a known-commodity slightly-below-average player than cutting him and having to sign someone else.

Saw this on the CNN/SI NFL page. Would this guy be a target of the Bills ?

Falcons fullback Justin Griffith appears set to become the team's second veteran starter to venture into free agency according to his agent Michael McCartney. There have been limited negotiations between the Falcons and the versatile fourth-year fullback but both sides seemingly will turn in different directions.

-- Atlanta Journal-Constitution