Novotny and 2007 1st rounder traded for a C and a D

Considering the lines could look something like this (if all are healthy)

Hecht - Briere - Pominville

Roy - Drury - Kotalik

Vanek - Zubrus - Afinogenov

Paille (Paetsch) - Connolly - Mair (Stafford)

with

Tallinder - Lydman

Spacek - Campbell

Kalinen - Numminen

and MacArthur ready to be called up if necessary, I am pretty happy with the way this team looks. And Lindy isn't completely resigned to losing Gaustad for the entire playoffs; I think he's HOPING for a mid-May return. I'd love to throw him into the mix, that is a really strong lineup.

I thought more of

Hecht-Briere-Pominville

Zubrus-Drury-Kotalik

Vanek-Roy-Max

Stafford-Connolly-Mair

With Peters and Paille as reserve Fs and Paetsch as reserve D. Same D pairings as you.

Zubrus can be a difference maker NOW..Novotny and the 3oth pick in the draft are not....Plus Zubrus could be a player we look at(if he plays well down the stretch) if we cannot sign both Drury and Briere..I give Darcy an A for today

Yes I agree. Biron had to be dealt for financial reasons. Getting the first pick of the 2nd round for him was pretty good, considering the Flyers knew the Sabres had to deal, and considering Marty may not even sign with them (although I must assume Don Luce and the Flyers front office contacted Marty about contracts before completing the deal.)

Zubrus is a heck of a player, 28 years old, centered Washington's #1 line with Ovechkin on the wing, and has erased some of the previous criticisms of not playing hard every night. He has also impressed defensively for a team who doesn't control a lot of the play. All in all, a solid pickup, and much better than the 4th line grinder I thought the Sabres would get. Plus, if all goes as planned (a.k.a. Stanley Cup,) the 1st rounder they gave up will be the last of the round, and they hold the 1st pick of the 2nd round from the Marty deal. No biggie.

Plus two defensmen who have been pros (mainly in the minors) for 4-5 years...More experience than the 1st and 2nd-year pros we have on defense in Rochester. Marty will be missed, but it was a no brainer- he had to go. And I'm glad Novotny was shipped rather than Kotalik, or a young buck like Paille or Stafford.

All things considered, Darcy did very well dealing from a weak position. Add Connolly to the mix as an additional 'pickup,' and you have to like the moves.

I thought more of

Hecht-Briere-Pominville

Zubrus-Drury-Kotalik

Vanek-Roy-Max

Stafford-Connolly-Mair

With Peters and Paille as reserve Fs and Paetsch as reserve D. Same D pairings as you.

this would be more likely since everything ive seen about Zubrus says he is a winger

this would be more likely since everything ive seen about Zubrus says he is a winger

I guarantee he plays C until Drury and Connolly return. MacArthur and Mair are both pulled off of the wings to play center right now. And he's centered Ovechkin's line pretty much all year. The Caps play-by-play man said he's excelled defensively and played some of his best games this year against bigger centers like Sundin, Brind'amour, and Lecavalier.

Once the team gets healthy, you're right, he has played plenty of RW. That was part of the attraction of the trade, he's definitely a flexible player.

I guarantee he plays C until Drury and Connolly return. MacArthur and Mair are both pulled off of the wings to play center right now. And he's centered Ovechkin's line pretty much all year. The Caps play-by-play man said he's excelled defensively and played some of his best games this year against bigger centers like Sundin, Brind'amour, and Lecavalier.

Once the team gets healthy, you're right, he has played plenty of RW. That was part of the attraction of the trade, he's definitely a flexible player.

good point, youve sold me. im just glad to have him on the team either way!

Yes I agree. Biron had to be dealt for financial reasons. Getting the first pick of the 2nd round for him was pretty good, considering the Flyers knew the Sabres had to deal, and considering Marty may not even sign with them (although I must assume Don Luce and the Flyers front office contacted Marty about contracts before completing the deal.)

Zubrus is a heck of a player, 28 years old, centered Washington's #1 line with Ovechkin on the wing, and has erased some of the previous criticisms of not playing hard every night. He has also impressed defensively for a team who doesn't control a lot of the play. All in all, a solid pickup, and much better than the 4th line grinder I thought the Sabres would get. Plus, if all goes as planned (a.k.a. Stanley Cup,) the 1st rounder they gave up will be the last of the round, and they hold the 1st pick of the 2nd round from the Marty deal. No biggie.

Plus two defensmen who have been pros (mainly in the minors) for 4-5 years...More experience than the 1st and 2nd-year pros we have on defense in Rochester. Marty will be missed, but it was a no brainer- he had to go. And I'm glad Novotny was shipped rather than Kotalik, or a young buck like Paille or Stafford.

All things considered, Darcy did very well dealing from a weak position. Add Connolly to the mix as an additional 'pickup,' and you have to like the moves.

Good post. Couldn't have said it better myself. Especially the part about Kotalik, who is the most underrated Sabre on the roster. It amazes me how many people are willing to ship him off for nothing.

I thought more of

Hecht-Briere-Pominville

Zubrus-Drury-Kotalik

Vanek-Roy-Max

Stafford-Connolly-Mair

I've got Zubrus and Roy swapped because Roy worked very well with Drury in the playoffs last year, Zubrus appears to be a bit better on faceoffs than Derek, and part of the reason the Sabres pulled the trigger on the deal was the endorsement from Max. I'd expect they'd give the 2 former Soviets a chance to play together. I also went w/ Paille and Stafford as L&R wings respectively on 4th line because that is their natural positions.

Especially the part about Kotalik, who is the most underrated Sabre on the roster. It amazes me how many people are willing to ship him off for nothing.

Pretty high compliment for Kotalik, a guy you once described as "one dimensional"...