PFW says we should get a 2nd for McGahee

FightClub

I think this is generally what the Bills have in mind. They're probably planning on drafting a RB on the first day, anyway, so if they can pay for the pick used by trading McGahee, so much the better. In that sense, it becomes something of a player-for-player trade.

Of course, finding someone who will give up a 2nd for McGahee may be a problem.

We're not getting a second for a player who's in the last year of his contract and has average to subpar stats. If we do, I'll eat my words but at this point, this is one of those "use your head" scenarios. Using your head, a second rounder would be way too high an asking price for McGahee.

I'd like to see us pick up Brian Leonard from Rutgers if it's the second round. He may not fit the trad. mold of a RB - more of a FB body type. But dang, the kid can do it all. He's not gonna out run anybody - but if we need a yard or two there's no stopping him. He makes his own holes...He's also a high character guy.

We're not getting a second for a player who's in the last year of his contract and has average to subpar stats. If we do, I'll eat my words but at this point, this is one of those "use your head" scenarios. Using your head, a second rounder would be way too high an asking price for McGahee.

If we get a 2nd for McGahee, I will use my feces to build a Marv Levy sculpture, fire it in a kiln and sell it on ebay as an official holy relic.

But it's not gonna happen, people.

I'd like to see us pick up Brian Leonard from Rutgers if it's the second round. He may not fit the trad. mold of a RB - more of a FB body type. But dang, the kid can do it all. He's not gonna out run anybody - but if we need a yard or two there's no stopping him. He makes his own holes...He's also a high character guy.

I like Brian Leonard too, but i like him as a FB. Here's something that i've been kicking around in my mind and i think would be pretty sweet and not too far fetched.... Imagine if we got a 2nd rounder for Willis then we'd have a 1st, two 2nd's and a thrid on day one. Now we all know that levy wants an all purpose back, but none of these guys truely in that mold (Hunt, Lynch, Irons, Bush, Leonard). So, as a next best thing, why not get one of those RB''s and Leonard for FB with the second and third round pick. We'd still have a first and second round pick to get impact Defensive palyers (like DT, LB or CB). Lenoard can be your receiving option and someone like hunt or irons would be your go to guy. That would add some nice weapons for JP and the offense!

I like Brian Leonard too, but i like him as a FB. Here's something that i've been kicking around in my mind and i think would be pretty sweet and not too far fetched.... Imagine if we got a 2nd rounder for Willis then we'd have a 1st, two 2nd's and a thrid on day one. Now we all know that levy wants an all purpose back, but none of these guys truely in that mold (Hunt, Lynch, Irons, Bush, Leonard). So, as a next best thing, why not get one of those RB''s and Leonard for FB with the second and third round pick. We'd still have a first and second round pick to get impact Defensive palyers (like DT, LB or CB). Lenoard can be your receiving option and someone like hunt or irons would be your go to guy. That would add some nice weapons for JP and the offense!

I'd be surprised if Leonard lasted past the 2nd. Two back to back picks in the running game just isn't a good strategy IMHO. Leonard could be a slash type player ie. RB/FB/TE. Plus he actually already knows how to block.

I suspect this draft is gonna be OL/DL heavy though if a DB falls far past his value spot, I just don't see this franchise passing him up. They just can't help themselves.

That being said, if we pick up Okoye or a good solid LB (like Willis or Polutzny) in the first, a good value OT or RB in the second, I think I'd be happy.

If we do get a 2nd for Baby Poppa McG, I'll be ecstatic if our draft when something like this:

1st round) Branch/Okoye/(after trading down)Grubbs/Willis/Posluzny/Brown

2nd round) Leonard/Blalock or Ramirez/solid WR or RB

C

the Bills will find that they cannot get what they deem proper value for McGahee, and in the end will not trade him. just because they are shopping him does not mean that they are going to trade him. 2 years ago, the Colts were shopping Edgerrin James and the Seahawks were shopping Shaun Alexander while they were in their last year before free agency. they were not able to get enough in return to deal them. Alexander went on to league MVP, James rushed for 1500 yards.

this by no means is meant to say the McGahee will do the same, just to say that teams will not break the bank to acquire him. and with free agency looming and an improved offensive line (fingers crossed), McGahee could have a very good year. people forget that he was injured last year for the better part of 4 games that skewed his stats. otherwise, he would have duplicated his 1200 yards from the previous 2 seasons easily.

i can see the Bills looking at a guy like Kenny Irons in the 3rd round, whose value has fallen from a definite 1st rounder or Brandon Jackson if he is still there in the 3rd. if Michael Bush is around at #2, he'd be a possibility, but their top two choices would be better served in shoring up the run defense and O-Line.

I think this is generally what the Bills have in mind. They're probably planning on drafting a RB on the first day, anyway, so if they can pay for the pick used by trading McGahee, so much the better. In that sense, it becomes something of a player-for-player trade.

Of course, finding someone who will give up a 2nd for McGahee may be a problem.

A clever plan, indeed. Reminds me of when the Bills dealt franchised player Peerless Price and loaded up on defensive talent in free agency instead of paying the one year tender to retain what they had.

Sure, the offense turned to complete dogschitt without Price and all the defensive improvements were wasted, but they had themselves a genuine celebrity on the sideline in Wills McGahee!

This goes back to the idea that free agents-to-be usually have more value to their current team than they will to the "new" team that pays big money to bring them in. Peerless was useless in Atlanta but the Bills were flat out TERRIBLE without him opposite Moulds. Terrible. Drew Bledsoe went to hell without him there, and the next thing you know the Bills are using up 2 years worth of #1 picks on a receiver to replace Price(Evans) and a QB to replace Bledsoe(Losman) and giving away our 1400 yard RB for a future 3rd rounder to make room for the celebrity acquired for Peerless.

Sometimes key pieces aren't necessarily the BEST players on your team, just pivotal contributors, or players who create a synergistic effect when teamed with others. A "team" environment is not all about getting the cheapest decent players for the money, it's about finding combinations that work.

I don't know if dealing McGahee or losing Clements would undermine what this team has going for them, but I do know that not having Price caused a negative ripple effect. Losing Pat Williams had the same effect, though it was more publicized because Williams went on to have a great year in Minnesota while the Bills D was going to crap.

I've mentioned before that the great play Clements made on Andre Johnson at the end of the Houston game single-handedly set the stage for Losman's big comeback moment. What great moments will never happen this year because he's not a Bill? Everything points to a HUGE year for McGahee....why let him go for a second round pick when he's under contract and could AT WORST be franchised next season if he finally matures? The franchise tag works pretty well folks. All over the league, players get retained with it and end up playing well, not sitting out.

Shucks, what a nice guy he is.

You're clueless. you can't put Leonard out there as your featured back. Enough with the Great White Hope. He'll probably be a good player, but not the focus of your ground game.

Shucks, what a nice guy he is.

You're clueless. you can't put Leonard out there as your featured back. Enough with the Great White Hope. He'll probably be a good player, but not the focus of your ground game.

Tell me where I said he was gonna be our featured back, oh mister with all the answers. All I said was that he'd be a great pickup. Leonard and Thomas in the backfield will give opposing Ds something to think about. If you can't see that, I'm not the one who is clueless...

C

Leonard reminds me a lot of Moose Johnson from Syracuse (quite) a few years ago.

Seems to me he did pretty well for himself and the Dullass Cowgirls.

Leonard is that kind of player. He's a little short to play TE - IMHO - but he would be an excellent member of the team.

No, he wouldn't be the "featured" back for an entire career, but he's be a money guy - like Kenneth Davis and Rob Riddick were.

He could also hold down the fort and carry the load for a year or two until the next coming of the galoping ghost comes out way.

If we get a 2nd for McGahee, I will use my feces to build a Marv Levy sculpture, fire it in a kiln and sell it on ebay as an official holy relic.

But it's not gonna happen, people.

Agreed. Not gonna happen. In fact I'll help you make it... The only GM/owner I know crazy enough to do that is Al Davis and he won't even consider i tb/c he has the 1st pick in the second. Now if he had a late 2nd I guess that miracle is SLIGHTLY possible.