Did we OOOOVERPAY for Chris Kelsay?

firstngoal

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How about the two critical 3rd down passes he dropped at Indy that would have kept drives alive and perhaps resulted in one of the biggest upsets in recent memory for the Bills?

Beating the Texans on a comeback was nice... it was a great catch by Peerless... but let's not kid ourselves. The contract the Bills handed to him was flat out stupid.

Peerless Price earned every dime last year when he caught that touchdown pass against Houston. As far as I'm concerned, that single play changed the entire attitude of our quarterback...nay, our entire team.

You bet your arss we did!

I just can't believe the numbers! :lol:

:lol:

1) Do we even know the numbers, or just speculation?

2) If the speculation is true, I don't think it's outrageous. The Bills figure Kelsay is entering his prime and ready to take it to the next level. To pay market value to keep him here (with maybe a premium to prevent him from testing the market), is reasonable.

How about the two critical 3rd down passes he dropped at Indy that would have kept drives alive and perhaps resulted in one of the biggest upsets in recent memory for the Bills?

Beating the Texans on a comeback was nice... it was a great catch by Peerless... but let's not kid ourselves. The contract the Bills handed to him was flat out stupid.

No argument here. Don't get me wrong. I am no Peerless fanatic. But that comeback was more than just nice. For the first time in years this team showed it could come back and win in the clutch, and it carried over for the remaining games, and will continue to carry over to this new season. It's a cliche, I know, but teams need to learn how to win, and that play was the moment our team figured it out. Well worth the dough.

how is a 4 yr deal for $10 mil stupid? his cap hit will be slightly over 2 million. I think PP is worthless, and want him replaced, but his contract wasnt that bad at all.

Kelsay's getting more than Schobel now.

but Schobel signed that deal, what?, 2 years ago. the market goes up and up every year. Schobel will cash in well on his next contract too...

and i think the bills see Kelsay as STILL improving. he has improved greatly year after year.

No. That was market value for him.

The question is, would you rather pay market value for Clements, or market value for Kelsay? I'd have rather paid market value for Clements...

Me too, but I would prefer Kelsay and Steinbach. Add an early round RT and/or RG to the mix and it would completely change the character of this football team.

I am very fond of what Fairchild did with JP last year, and you already know how high I am on Peters. Evans gets better every day. Nobody can catch that kid from behind. A solid OL would provide us with the first dominant offense in perhaps 14 or so years. :lol:

Corners are less important, or so I see it. :lol:

Not debilitating to the cap by any means... but I still think $2.3M for him is a king's ransom. The Pats went after Price too... they valued him at a 1-year deal for less than $1M. Same with the Dolphins. The bottom line is that the Bills didn't have to pay that sum of money to a marginal WR like Price.

By comparison, the Patriots settled for Reche Caldwell (hardly Jerry Rice, but a decent player) for a salary of $1M.

They got Jabar Gafney, another decent complimentary player for $600K. Bear in mind both signed 2 year deals.

The Bills paid more for Price than both those players COMBINED. If Ralph is going to make a big deal about the competitive disadvantage the Bills have, they should start operating like the Oakland A's and avoid overpaying in areas where they don't have to. $2M isn't a lot, but those little things add up.

how is a 4 yr deal for $10 mil stupid? his cap hit will be slightly over 2 million. I think PP is worthless, and want him replaced, but his contract wasnt that bad at all.

Peerless Price earned every dime last year when he caught that touchdown pass against Houston. As far as I'm concerned, that single play changed the entire attitude of our quarterback...nay, our entire team.

PP's td against Minny was pretty spectacular. I'll bet he has a better year this time around.

Kelsay, since market value for Clements takes up 75% of our cap space this year...

And Kelsay took up how much?

We have to hope that the Bills will spend the difference between Clements' contract and Kelsay's on difference makers. I just don't see it happening. We're not going to outbid anyone for Dielman, Steinbach, Adalius, etc

We're going to end up paying more Kelsay-type contracts out to Kelsay-type players, and I don't know if that's going to be good enough to catapult us into playoff contenders. Basically, we have to hope that McCargo, Whitner, and this year's #12 pick become great players, but that's a lot of eggs in those three baskets.

Me too, but I would prefer Kelsay and Steinbach. Add an early round RT and/or RG to the mix and it would completely change the character of this football team.

I am very fond of what Fairchild did with JP last year, and you already know how high I am on Peters. Evans gets better every day. Nobody can catch that kid from behind. A solid OL would provide us with the first dominant offense in perhaps 14 or so years. :lol:

Corners are less important, or so I see it. :lol:

If we get Steinbach or Dielman, I will sing the praises of Ralph/Marv as well as criticize my own stupidity, second-guessing, and cynicism. Or whatever punishment you guys deem fit. I just don't see Ralph outbidding the big boys for those big boys.