I Am Back!

rockpile

Since it was pre-paid, we still went on our vacation to Mexico, even though I have no job to "vacation" from. :worthy:

Without going into too much detail, Puerto Vallarta Mexico is wonderful.

We had a heck of a time getting a flight out of Rochester on 2/14 with all the blizzards. We got canceled twice, missed one stand-by, then got a stand-by finally to Chicago. From there we took a 2:15am flight to Mexico City, and then another 90 minute hopper to Puerto Vallarta. After reviewing the news, I guess we were just lucky to get there. Our luggage took a different flight and arrived before we did. All told the delays made it a thirty hour flight. Usually it is 90 minutes to Chicago and 4-5 hours to Mexico. With layovers and customs - 8 or 9 hours.

We actually just missed only one day of our vacation.

We stayed at an all inclusive resort, but we only used that as our base of operations. From there we took exploratory day trips by local bus, and a couple planned trips: one by luxury bus, and one on a very large catamaran.

Weather was superb. Even when the temperature is 85-90 degrees, the breeze off the Bay of Banderos makes it comfortable.

Mrs Rock and I met a close friend there and has a blast. She is much nicer as she approaches the equator. :)

We took a day trip to Mismaloya and beyond, that included a tour of a tequila factory - yum.

Also took a night trip to a remote beach - clear skies, thin crescent moon, bright stars, historic pagan dance performances under the Orion constellation, torches, and a great buffet. I was in heaven!

Old town Puerto Vallarta is still my favorite - the beach there is called Los Muertos. We actually saw humpback whales from shore. I have a favorite restaurant called Cafe de Olla, that has a seafood chowder to die for! It contained squid, shrimp, and about a half of a crab in a soothing broth. YUM!

The Mexican people in general are so wonderful. They are SO unlike the stereotype we see in the U.S. media - lazy and stupid.

They are kind, smart, friendly, hard-working, family centered, and polite. We got along fine but they do not like most 'gringos', who act as if they are "better" than them.

Back home to arctic temperatures again and back to looking for a job.

I am so glad this vacation was prepaid before my lay off. I needed the time to decompress!

Sounds good, Rock.

I left on Valentine's Day too. Our 6:50 AM flight to Orlando thru Baltimore got can'd, but we were able to get on a 9 AM flight direct to Tampa. We changed our car reservation and drove over from there. The bad thing was that my son got hit with the stomach bug basically as the flight was taking off. Poor kid. :worthy: And poor woman next to us.

Sounds good, Rock.

I left on Valentine's Day too. Our 6:50 AM flight to Orlando thru Baltimore got can'd, but we were able to get on a 9 AM flight direct to Tampa. We changed our car reservation and drove over from there. The bad thing was that my son got hit with the stomach bug basically as the flight was taking off. Poor kid. :devil: And poor woman next to us.

Was Ben sick all week? Poor kid! :)

I once sat next to a guy about (twenty years old) for a couple hours who alternated between sleeping and barfing in a bag. GREAT flight. :worthy: Hard to ignore it but also hard to get mad that someone is sick. <sigh>

God, Rochester was a mess that morning wasn't it?

I often wondered about the "all inclusive." How All inclusive was it?

clad you had fun.....

Unlimited food and well drinks, three restaurants, a grill, and three bars.

Food was available 7am to 11pm. Bar was open until about 1am.

We only went there because my sister-in-law needed a good kids club for her three young'uns. I did NOT like the resort's shows, but they had a couple decent bands come in to the night club.

The food was very good - just not much variety from day to day. That can get monotonous.

I mostly drank beer (Sol, Tecate, Dos Equis, Corona) and tequila - shots, and margarita on the rocks (lime juice, water, mineral water, sometimes triplesec, tequila, and ice).

Was Ben sick all week? Poor kid! :blink:

I once sat next to a guy about (twenty years old) for a couple hours who alternated between sleeping and barfing in a bag. GREAT flight. :wallbash: Hard to ignore it but also hard to get mad that someone is sick. <sigh>

God, Rochester was a mess that morning wasn't it?

He was a little off the next day but by Friday he was back to normal. As normal as he gets anyway :wacko:

The funny thing about Rochester was flights that could get out (ie their destination wasn't closed) were getting out no problem - even in that blizzard. It was everywhere else that had trouble.