Criminal to cut Takeo Spikes

The guy never complains and works his F'n ass off to get back into shape.

If any of you have had any kind of injury (even a sore back) , you know that your body instinctivly tries to compensate for the pain by putting pressure on different parts of your body; even psychologically, your fear of being injuried again can over compensate aswell. Hence:hamstring!

The guy deserves a fair shot even with an average camp if he has one. Who knows what he'll be like after half the season and he gets his confidence back.

Bills arn't going to the super bowl next year, but can gain alot of internal respect from their players on giving a guy like Takeo extra slack on recovery process.

My money is that they keep him; wouldn't want to release him to another division rival and come back to rip JP to shreds.

If any of you have had any kind of injury (even a sore back) , you know that your body instinctivly tries to compensate for the pain by putting pressure on different parts of your body; even psychologically, your fear of being injuried again can over compensate aswell. Hence:hamstring!

The guy deserves a fair shot even with an average camp if he has one. Who knows what he'll be like after half the season and he gets his confidence back.

Bills arn't going to the super bowl next year, but can gain alot of internal respect from their players on giving a guy like Takeo extra slack on recovery process.

My money is that they keep him; wouldn't want to release him to another division rival and come back to rip JP to shreds.

So, you would rather cut a promising rookie instead? I can't see how the guys in the locker room would respect keeping someone other than the most productive guys.

Maybe TKO will man up and take a pay cut to reflect his current production so the Bills can keep him around. :)

This is a business. TKO may or may not fully recover from his injury. He might even make the team and start at linebacker, but never reach his former potential. Sadly, he might not be recovered enough to make the team. That is the breaks of the game. It works out okay in the end though. Would you want to keep him if he hasn't the talent and force him into positions where because of his loss of talent, speed or whatever he gets hurt even more seriously or crippled? I think the Darwinian approach in the game ends up being the best for all concerned...even the guy who is injured. On the other hand there should be insurance, workers comp and a system to treat the crippled player better than it has in the past once they leave the game. I thought that recent HBO special (with Conrad Dobler) was a real shocker.

. On the other hand there should be insurance, workers comp and a system to treat the crippled player better than it has in the past once they leave the game. I thought that recent HBO special (with Conrad Dobler) was a real shocker.

yeah- god forbid that the player actually spend some of the :) $20 mil he has been paid for medical treatment and insurance premiums.

yeah- god forbid that the player actually spend some of the :) $20 mil he has been paid for medical treatment and insurance premiums.

Remember that the players who played in the 60's and 70's really didn't make much money and some held jobs in the off season to make ends meet. Many paid union dues thinking the union would maintain a disability insurance policy that would be equitable (inluding guys like Dobler and Johnny Unitas and others.) TKO, I would hope, would see the suffering of those guys and understand that it is up to him to make sure his financial condition is secured inthe case of injury...However given Pac-Mains recent escapade with $85,000 sitting in his hotel room while he went to a strip club, I tend to think some of these guys are not very wise with their money.

If the question is about releasing him now, then that is just fugging stupid.

His salary is not killing the team, If he cannot make the team this summer, then he cannot make the team, but bringing him to camp this summer will not hurt this team at all.

If the question is about what stud linebacker will not be able to be either drafted or brought in to training camp because of Spikes being here, then you need to come up with a name of this superstar that is not going to get a chance because of Spikes.

Sorry, but I'm just not feeling it with this supposed issue.

If the question is about releasing him now, then that is just fugging stupid.

His salary is not killing the team, If he cannot make the team this summer, then he cannot make the team, but bringing him to camp this summer will not hurt this team at all.

If the question is about what stud linebacker will not be able to be either drafted or brought in to training camp because of Spikes being here, then you need to come up with a name of this superstar that is not going to get a chance because of Spikes.

Sorry, but I'm just not feeling it with this supposed issue.

I agree. It makes no sense to cut him now before we see how he is in the summer. If we were desperate for cap room for some reason, there are a few guys on the team that could be cut that really aren't in the plans and would clear nearly as much space - Reyes, Holcomb, and Villarial.

There is another issue though - the SAM linebacker in the cover 2 is not really a very important position in the defense. In fact, its probably the least important position in the scheme as evidenced by the scrubs that play it on other cover-2 teams. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to invest much money in that spot over the long term in a guy like Spikes. However, since Ellison and Wire seem to be the only backup options and both are very undersized for a SAM, I guess we should probably wait and see with Spikes for this season at least.

I wouldnt cut him this year at all. Regardless of what he looks like in camp, good or bad, id give him a shot to prove it on the field.

But if he still plays like he did most of last season (see: getting run over by Travis Henry), then I would cut him the day after the season ends. The $4mil could go to plenty of other players.

Ok if you cut TKO who replaces him? Ellison and wire.... if crowell goes to the middle like everyone on this board is saying and TKO is cut are starting linebacking core as of today is

WLB Coy Wire

MLB Angelo Crowell

SLB Keith Ellison

With our d line that sounds like a great way to give up 200 yrds on the ground a game :lol:

If TKO is cut, it is because Marv weighed all the options and

A. Can get a better replacement and value in FA

B. Doctors have ruled TKO will not be able to come back to 100%

C. They don't see him being able to come back to his previous self and will not improve on last year

D. All of the Above

Otherwise, he stays around and is given atleast til the end of training camp to prove he can come back

Cutting a putative starter - TKO - before the draft tips one's hand to a degree. Barring a FA linebacker acquisition, other teams are put on notice that the Bills are more apt to select a LB at some point. If one of them is also in the market, for a LB, I suppose they could be motivated to grab someone the Bills had their eye on.

Just a thought...