Ron Rivera signs on to coach in SD

I'm a little curious about this move. Does this mean that Rivera is going to totally change SD's 3-4 defensive system which was highly successful? Does the Tampa 2 even really work with their personnel?

That's a great question and a big transition for that team if they intend to change.

I guess this really will prove if the Defence in Chicago was all Smith or if Rivera really was the brains behind it

Lovie just effectively removed the only leverage the Bears had in his own contract extension conversations - he removed the backup plan if they don't sign Lovie. It was all about politics and money.

I'm a little curious about this move. Does this mean that Rivera is going to totally change SD's 3-4 defensive system which was highly successful? Does the Tampa 2 even really work with their personnel?

He is not the coordinator- Cottrell is.

They will stick with the 3-4.

I'm sure Rivera can help with various packages and game planning.

Not to mention helping with reprimanding the players when they throw spit balls at Norv in meetings.

The stench in Chicago over Rivera departing will grow if the Bears regress next year.

Lovie always wanted his man Babich to be the defensive coordinator but was overruled by the GM. Babich declined to even be interviewed for the Bills DC position last year. That alone should have given Rivera some idea of what Lovie potentially had in mind over the long run.

We'll see if Lovie gets a deal. He probably will.

I'm sure Bears fans would love to see Singletary in town. But vagabond Lovie might feel a bit threatened by another highly successful player turned coach.

Shoulda just hired him as HC...

Yeah.

Now that the Superbowl Lovie Lovefest is over, we'll see what Lovie is made of next year with this team. Did their defence really regress in the 2nd half or was it injuries that caused the fall-off? Is Wrecks Grossman fixable? Is his buddy Babich capable or will this be another case of insider dealing gone awry?