Spikes

Kuile

But that's Peterson. He might be able to recover easier than Spikes.

I think thats the point. If Peterson can do it why not TKO. The same physical make up and any one he saw TKO's rehab regimand knows he has the abilty ot get back to form. But saying he is old and doesnt have that first step is jumping the gun on him. If he does not produce the way he used then I say release him, he only counts for 2.8 mil against the cap.

I think thats the point. If Peterson can do it why not TKO. The same physical make up and any one he saw TKO's rehab regimand knows he has the abilty ot get back to form. But saying he is old and doesnt have that first step is jumping the gun on him. If he does not produce the way he used then I say release him, he only counts for 2.8 mil against the cap.

I just don't think Spikes will recover as fast and easily, but I see your arguement.

to honestly and fairly answer he question of: Why are the fans and the front office keeping an eye on spikes?

He's at least one of our, if not THE, biggest cap hit. He suffered an injury that historically players never fully recover from. for every Peterson, there's more than a few Sam Cowarts out there. Now I'll take an 80% of what he used to be. I think that is still better than a lot of LBs out there. But on a team that is so worried about money, and not overpaying talent, and getting good value... depending on what we see this year, he may be asked to re-structure and if he doesnt do that, he may be cut. maybe. possibly.

You can't take the chance. I know how serious the injury was but he may not recover again fully. We have good replacements for him. I will say he does provide a great deal of leadership and knowledge but I think he's gonna get released. I don't was to see him leave, but I think he will be soon, based on the fact that we can get a lot of money in the process.

Actually we do not have good replacements for him. There is so much uncertainty in terms of our LB corps (yes, TKO is a rehab ? but also Crowell is- and Stamer too for that matter) and F-B is an FA that if the Bills docs judge it a physical possibility for TKO to come back, i think this is actually a good chance to take.

The Bills docs have made good judgments on whether it was physically possible for WM to one day be a starter (they made good judgments on what was medically possible while judgments about his character are a different concern). TKO demonstrated with his workout effort last off-season that if the docs think it can be done with hard work, TKO will work hard.

Is TKO the same as when he was younger? No, but then who is.

If you do not get older you have made a mistake you cannot recover from.

Actually we do not have good replacements for him. There is so much uncertainty in terms of our LB corps (yes, TKO is a rehab ? but also Crowell is- and Stamer too for that matter) and F-B is an FA that if the Bills docs judge it a physical possibility for TKO to come back, i think this is actually a good chance to take.

The Bills docs have made good judgments on whether it was physically possible for WM to one day be a starter (they made good judgments on what was medically possible while judgments about his character are a different concern). TKO demonstrated with his workout effort last off-season that if the docs think it can be done with hard work, TKO will work hard.

Is TKO the same as when he was younger? No, but then who is.

If you do not get older you have made a mistake you cannot recover from.

Crowell's injury is not as serious and he can recover much easier and faster.

Assuming Crowell moves into the middle to replace LF-B and Ellison retains the starting WLB job, I'd rather see 80-90% of Spikes at SLB than 100% of anyone else currently on the roster.

Assuming Crowell moves into the middle to replace LF-B and Ellison retains the starting WLB job, I'd rather see 80-90% of Spikes at SLB than 100% of anyone else currently on the roster.

exactly, an 80% takeo may still be our best LB in that scenario. and a very expensive one.

its a combination of factors.

1. the big injury

2. the little injuries that have stemmed from the big injury

3. the question as to whether he is going to be able to keep healthy down the line - getting older, linebackers don't last forever, can you count on him playing more than half the season?

4. his loss of speed - which is tantamount to a linebacker in the Tampa 2

5. the price tag - if he was making what a normal starting linebacker makes then it wouldn't be as big an issue - he is entering into the final few years of the contract where the big numbers are

Because fans have short term memories.....

Wasn't it our own GM who fueled this fire? Anyway, I think they're concerned that if he doesn't recover past the point where he played this past year, then yes he will need to be replaced, because of his ineffectiveness in this scheme (and not getting value for his cost). He clearly did not have the same lateral speed he used to have, and which is demanded of LB's in the cover 2. The question is, will the coaching/training staff be able to correctly evaluate his prognosis this offseason?

exactly, an 80% takeo may still be our best LB in that scenario. and a very expensive one.

an 80% TS is a TS who will have no home on any NFL team. If he's not 95% (at least) of what he once was, he's basically a marginal veteran gypsy worth somewhere between the vet minimum and $1 million/year. A 20% -- even a 10% -- loss of physical ability in the NFL is insurmountable.

I wouldn't be shocked if he's not on the team next year, particularly if he doesn't regain his top-end skills. To quote Charles DeGaulle, the graves are filled with indispensable men.

I just don't think Spikes will recover as fast and easily, but I see your arguement.

Earlier in the season weren't you saying how badly Losman sucked and how great Brady Quinn was?

If all Spikes needs is time to develop back to old playing form, or even anywhere close to it, then you must give it to him. The guy can single handedly turn a game around. Take the first game of the season against the Patriots when Spikes ran in and sacked Brady and forced the fumble that Fletcher took in for 6. That set that pace for the game, and it was one of the closest games we have had against the Patriots in years.

If we cut Spikes and there is a team willing to give him a chance, and trust me there will be plenty, he will more than likely sign within the division and kick our asses twice a year. Then you can start a topic about who is to blame for not seeing that all Spikes needed was some time.

I'm sorry, but give it a break. He's a leader on defense, a great guy, and a solid defensive player. Clearing your roster of guys like Spikes will not help this team progress, but rather cause a regression. If we were to let Spikes go, we would only have one starter from last year back in the line up at linebacker.

Talk about creating holes.

an 80% TS is a TS who will have no home on any NFL team. If he's not 95% (at least) of what he once was, he's basically a marginal veteran gypsy worth somewhere between the vet minimum and $1 million/year. A 20% -- even a 10% -- loss of physical ability in the NFL is insurmountable.

exactly my point... sorta. im not saying that an 80% spikes is GREAT. but given his present company, he may be the best on the field. my statement was more a comment on our other LBs and spikes' price tag. not about him being a great player.

Spikes is very old school.

He continues to refer to Marv's Press Conference as a Press Conference and stubbornly refuses to refer to it as a presser.

THAT's why he's outta here.

God Bless Ya, been thinking the same thing :blink:

Every friggen time I hear that word I think of wine.