Norv Turner the new Chargers HC

Buftex

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing definite yet; Jay Glazer is speculating, based on his "sources". He could be right -- and as I said last week, a Turner/Cottrell combo wouldn't shock me -- but he's been wrong before, too...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6485122

ESPN is running with it now, too:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2771126

Normally I would agree, but Norv has earned it.

The one thing I will say is though:

The talent on SD is MUCH MUCH better then anything Norv had to work with in Washington and Oakland...coaching is big in the NFL, but without talent, you will go nowhere.

And do not tell me Belicheck, yes a great coach, but that team is very talented.

hard to understand why he was fired from Vikings if his defense was so good.

He did a real fine job in NY as well :lol:

Yeah he did a bad job in NY & Minny and neither was much less talented than his unit in Buffalo...

it seems very reasonable to conclude that his success here was largely due to Wade.

Wow ! What a bad hire for HC. I love Ted Cotrell for DC though !

Ron Rivera would have been a better choice for HC.

I suppose it could end up that Turner surprises, but I wouldn't bet on it. It just seems like the Chargers might have been better suited with a fresh HC prospect, with some energy, rather than Norv. The Chargers have some guys of suspect character, which is something Norv has not handled well in the past. I would love the guy as my OC, but a little more imagination could have been used here by AJ. With the reputation of the talent on that team right now, anything less than a Super Bowl appearence will make Norv look bad, again...and, if it doesn't happen sooner, I have to belive anything less than a deep playoff run gets AJ fired as well by next offeseason...and in turn, most likely Turner...

The media slammed the Bills pretty hard for hiring Jauron last year ("retread"), it will be curious to see what their take is, on Turner....not that it really matters that much.

I suppose it could end up that Turner surprises, but I wouldn't bet on it. It just seems like the Chargers might have been better suited with a fresh HC prospect, with some energy, rather than Norv. The Chargers have some guys of suspect character, which is something Norv has not handled well in the past. I would love the guy as my OC, but a little more imagination could have been used here by AJ. With the reputation of the talent on that team right now, anything less than a Super Bowl appearence will make Norv look bad, again...and, if it doesn't happen sooner, I have to belive anything less than a deep playoff run gets AJ fired as well by next offeseason...and in turn, most likely Turner...

The media slammed the Bills pretty hard for hiring Jauron last year ("retread"), it will be curious to see what their take is, on Turner....not that it really matters that much.

The Chargers to me seem to be tailor made for an experienced (ie retread) coach given they're ready to win now and can't really afford to have a coach go thru any growing pains...

Of course that being the case I'd much rather have Schottenheimer than Turner.

The Chargers to me seem to be tailor made for an experienced (ie retread) coach given they're ready to win now and can't really afford to have a coach go thru any growing pains...

Of course that being the case I'd much rather have Schottenheimer than Turner.

Maybe...but to me, there is a big difference in retread coaches like Waid Phillips and Norv Turner...

If the Bills were hiring a HC right now, and my only choices were Norv Turner and Marty Schottenheimer, I would take Marty without hesitation...Turner has had ample time and opportunity to prove that he could, or could not succeed as a head coach. His supporters sight Dan Snyder and Al Davis as being his biggest problems...Davis, maybe...but he coached quite a few years in Washington (by HC standards) before Snyder entered the picture.

My read on Turner is not that he is a buffoon (like a Hank Bullough), but that he is a smart guy, who is just not a leader. In the NFL, the HC has to be a leader of some sort, and can leave the X's & O's to his co-oridinators. Bellichek might not have much of a personality with the media, but he is fairly unflapable...a characteristic his teams seem to pick up on. Turner is probably a great guy (Troy Aikman credits him for most of his NFL success), but that is not always enough.

Maybe...but to me, there is a big difference in retread coaches like Waid Phillips and Norv Turner...

If the Bills were hiring a HC right now, and my only choices were Norv Turner and Marty Schottenheimer, I would take Marty without hesitation...Turner has had ample time and opportunity to prove that he could, or could not succeed as a head coach. His supporters sight Dan Snyder and Al Davis as being his biggest problems...Davis, maybe...but he coached quite a few years in Washington (by HC standards) before Snyder entered the picture.

My read on Turner is not that he is a buffoon (like a Hank Bullough), but that he is a smart guy, who is just not a leader. In the NFL, the HC has to be a leader of some sort, and can leave the X's & O's to his co-oridinators. Bellichek might not have much of a personality with the media, but he is fairly unflapable...a characteristic his teams seem to pick up on. Turner is probably a great guy (Troy Aikman credits him for most of his NFL success), but that is not always enough.

I don't disagree at all; though I'd simplify by saying he hasn't won enough as a HC. Bellichek wins a lot, so he's "unflappable" :lol:

I don't disagree at all; though I'd simplify by saying he hasn't won enough as a HC. Bellichek wins a lot, so he's "unflappable" :lol:

Not to turn this into a Bellichek blow-fest, but I really do think his non-descript, unaffected demeanor is a calculated act, and his team seems to follow suit. When they lose key players, there never seems to be a sense of panick, the team doesn't let down...they just don't seem ready with excuses...that is what I meant by "unflapable".

imagine how marty feels?he takes a team to a 14-2 record and gets replaced by norv turner and ted cottrell!something is seriously wrong here.im glad their gm didnt stay on with the bills cause even though he made some good player choices ,obviously this is not one of them....go bills in"07

AJ is following the Teflon Tom approach to job continuiyu.

Too bad it doesn't carry over to success on the field.

Norv is bad enough, but Cottrell is not the strong DC needed to compliment Norv's offensive background.

Maybe these hires were not "inspired" choices- but the timing really sucked.

SD seemed to make the best hires possible when considering continuity.(a factor to take into account when coming of a 14-2 record)

Turner takes over an offense he is very familiar with and Cottrell has run Wade's defense in the past.

As far as a strong personality to provide leadership- that lies with A.J.

He made his bed, now he will have to sleep in it.

I wish him well.