The 2007 Buffalo Bills

firstngoal

I'm just in the mood to vent just a bit.

After the Bills presser yesterday, I came away convinced that the Bills organization wants to put a competitive team on the field. But by no means will they do whatever it takes to get this team to the next level = playoffs. Not to say that the Bills don't want to win the Bowl, but in reality given the team they have right now and the obstacles (small market revenue etc) that they face, I think the Bills know deep down inside that it will be a huge uphill battle that will be tough to conquer.

Since it's a foregone conclusion that the team will lose Clements and Fletcher in FA and the fact that they won't be ultra-competitve in the free-agency (despite a ton of cap space) and have several BIG needs to fill (O-Line, DT, MLB, etc) I just can't see how the team will get better this offseason having to use the Draft as the sole means of re-stocking this team. Yes, I know they will sign a few free agents but the money they are committing to FA, won't be enough to land any decent players to fill the holes the Bills have at this time.

Bottom Line - The Bills had better hit the jackpot in the Draft, or face the reality that the team will take a step back in 2007.

:blink:

Well, they improved alot last year by having a good draft, and not making a huge splash in FA, so whos to say they can't improve next year, with another year of experience for the younger players with another year with the new systems and schemes the coaches put in.

This team probably won't be competing for a spot in the SB next year, but I don't see them getting any worse because an aging linebacker that was good, but not in a cover 2 scheme is gone, and a high priced CB is gone and money can be spent to solidify a more important position. Marv already mentioned he knows he needs to improve the LB's, D-line and O-line, like everyone has been saying for years, so what to complain about?

Well, they improved alot last year by having a good draft, and not making a huge splash in FA, so whos to say they can't improve next year, with another year of experience for the younger players with another year with the new systems and schemes the coaches put in.

This team probably won't be competing for a spot in the SB next year, but I don't see them getting any worse because an aging linebacker that was good, but not in a cover 2 scheme is gone, and a high priced CB is gone and money can be spent to solidify a more important position. Marv already mentioned he knows he needs to improve the LB's, D-line and O-line, like everyone has been saying for years, so what to complain about?

I wouldn't say 5-11 to 7-9 is "a lot" of improvement. It just seems that way because we have been beaten down by the losing and grasp for any shred of hope after 7 years of this BS. The actual improvement really was making a few plays at the end of games to put them away. The Minnesota, Green Bay, Houston and Jacksonville games were all won LITERALLY by the smallest of margins. One play each time. The dropped TD pass on the last drive by Minnesota. The preposterous pass by Favre. Losman to Price in Houston. And Roscoe's amazing catch versus Jax. Four plays from being 3-13. And yet, you can't see them getting any worse? I think you better look again. This team isn't really prepared to get less talented.

I guess it takes too much thought to see that maybe our rookeis will improve and become better players in year 2, thus making this team better next year.

OK big shot. Show me just ONE instance where a player has done better after his Rookie season... ONE!

Don't try to stop the groundswell of doom and gloom.

The 2006 Draft class was a bust and everybody knows it.

Marv shares the same initials with Monica Lewinski, and that can't be good.

The 2007 Draft is devoid of talent and we're gonna suck ass for years to come.

It's the seventeenth day of February in 2007 and there STILL isn't a Lombardi Trophy in the display case at OBD.

We've ALL replayed the tapes/dvds of the SuperBowl 41 and The Bills weren't even IN THE GAME!

Why, we could watch that film till Doomsday and they'll STILL never win it.

There is nothing for Western New York but abject dispair.

That, and gloom of course.

So it is written - in the Stars and on the Internet.

It's easy going from awful to just kinda bad- 7-9 --- Its harder to get to good---- I like the fans that say were just a few plays from 9 and 7 , of course they get pissed when I say we were also a few plays from 5 and 11 too-- and its nice that Levi knows he needs to improve the LB's, D-line and O-line now lets see if he can do it with one hand tied behind his back against 31 other teams.

I wouldn't say 5-11 to 7-9 is "a lot" of improvement. It just seems that way because we have been beaten down by the losing and grasp for any shred of hope after 7 years of this BS. The actual improvement really was making a few plays at the end of games to put them away. The Minnesota, Green Bay, Houston and Jacksonville games were all won LITERALLY by the smallest of margins. One play each time. The dropped TD pass on the last drive by Minnesota. The preposterous pass by Favre. Losman to Price in Houston. And Roscoe's amazing catch versus Jax. Four plays from being 3-13. And yet, you can't see them getting any worse? I think you better look again. This team isn't really prepared to get less talented.

To be fair, we were only 1 or 2 plays from winning in NE, in Indy, against SD, against Tenn. So it kind of balances out.

But by no means will they do whatever it takes to get this team to the next level = playoffs. Not to say that the Bills don't want to win the Bowl, but in reality given the team they have right now and the obstacles (small market revenue etc) that they face, I think the Bills know deep down inside that it will be a huge uphill battle that will be tough to conquer.

Bottom Line - The Bills had better hit the jackpot in the Draft, or face the reality that the team will take a step back in 2007.

Seeking several over priced individuals who are just as susceptible to injury, can't play every down, don't play both sides of the ball and occupy the cap space of ten other potential players :blink:

Finding team-oriented talent which can provide depth and come at a low cost :blink:

I'm willing to give it a shot.

To be fair, we were only 1 or 2 plays from winning in NE, in Indy, against SD, against Tenn. So it kind of balances out.

1 or 2 plays, but not specific ones at the very end of the game, as in the cases I mentioned. NE wasn't a last second loss, some have speculated that they'd have won if Losman didn't get sacked for a safety, or if Willis converted that 4th down. Perhaps, but there was a lot of game to be played yet. Indy? After the missed field goal, the Bills D had it's chance to stop Indy and could not. They could have tacked on more points or won the game if necessary against a worn out Bills D. Victory in Indy wasn't happening. Against San Diego it took a big comeback to get even close, and the infamous Robert Royal "no catch" actually happened in the third quarter against Tennessee. The Bills were dominated in the fourth quarter of that game. Dominated. You may call those games close, but the better team decisively won each of those games, while the Bills practically pulled 4 wins out of their assses thanks to a couple extraordinary mistakes and a couple incredible plays.

Seeking several over priced individuals who are just as susceptible to injury, can't play every down, don't play both sides of the ball and occupy the cap space of ten other potential players :blink:

Finding team-oriented talent which can provide depth and come at a low cost :blink:

I'm willing to give it a shot.

you need a gas and you go to the first station look at the price and say wow no way I'm going to pay that much, so you go to another and it's the same price, so you try one after another and its pretty much the same everywhere- after awhile you have to chose buy gas or walk cause thats the price of gas- I mean really you have to spend your money wisely as possible but if you're just going to take your ball and go home cause its too rough then you should think about getting out of the business- hear that Ralph!!!

1 or 2 plays, but not specific ones at the very end of the game, as in the cases I mentioned. NE wasn't a last second loss, some have speculated that they'd have won if Losman didn't get sacked for a safety, or if Willis converted that 4th down. Perhaps, but there was a lot of game to be played yet. Indy? After the missed field goal, the Bills D had it's chance to stop Indy and could not. They could have tacked on more points or won the game if necessary against a worn out Bills D. Victory in Indy wasn't happening. Against San Diego it took a big comeback to get even close, and the infamous Robert Royal "no catch" actually happened in the third quarter against Tennessee. The Bills were dominated in the fourth quarter of that game. Dominated. You may call those games close, but the better team decisively won each of those games, while the Bills practically pulled 4 wins out of their assses thanks to a couple extraordinary mistakes and a couple incredible plays.

But what good teams dont pull a few games out of their ass each season? part of being good is luck. This team is 7-9, which is around what it should have been, given the talent level. this team is a far cry from the 5-11 under meathead, or a 3-13 team. We've got good young players that are going to get better. i hate that we're losing nate, but you just gotta roll with it.

But what good teams dont pull a few games out of their ass each season? part of being good is luck. This team is 7-9, which is around what it should have been, given the talent level. this team is a far cry from the 5-11 under meathead, or a 3-13 team. We've got good young players that are going to get better. i hate that we're losing nate, but you just gotta roll with it.

The Bills weren't a good team. I know the vibe was positive because low expectations were exceeded, but 7-9 is a poor record. And yes, good teams to pull a few games out of their ass each season. But better than half of their wins typically don't come in that manner. 4 out of 7? Sheesh. This team could come back exactly the same and not see that kind of fortune again. As for all these young players who are going to get better, that may be so, but the good ones that are lost must be replaced. Then there is the health issue. Is it realistic that Losman, Evans, Schobel and Peters will be healthy for all 16 games AGAIN? I mean, the truth is A LOT went this teams way this year. A LOT. This team is on the cusp of becoming a playoff for the 3rd time 8 years, and each prior time, they've made bad moves that caused them to take a step backward.

you need a gas and you go to the first station look at the price and say wow no way I'm going to pay that much, so you go to another and it's the same price, so you try one after another and its pretty much the same everywhere- after awhile you have to chose buy gas or walk cause thats the price of gas- I mean really you have to spend your money wisely as possible but if you're just going to take your ball and go home cause its too rough then you should think about getting out of the business- hear that Ralph!!!

In this case I think you're being outrageously objective. If buying football players was as simple as buying a petroleum product which has a solitary function (powering your car) then they'd all cost the same. Players, unlike gas, deviate based on factors like position, specialty, experience, size, speed, strength, and cost. My point was rather than paying for a name- pay for what we need- a player who makes the team better by contributing to its coordinated mission.

I'm confident that if you pay for roles rather than players it can save you money and increase depth as per my prior post.

The Bills weren't a good team. I know the vibe was positive because low expectations were exceeded, but 7-9 is a poor record. And yes, good teams to pull a few games out of their ass each season. But better than half of their wins typically don't come in that manner. 4 out of 7? Sheesh. This team could come back exactly the same and not see that kind of fortune again. As for all these young players who are going to get better, that may be so, but the good ones that are lost must be replaced. Then there is the health issue. Is it realistic that Losman, Evans, Schobel and Peters will be healthy for all 16 games AGAIN? I mean, the truth is A LOT went this teams way this year. A LOT. This team is on the cusp of becoming a playoff for the 3rd time 8 years, and each prior time, they've made bad moves that caused them to take a step backward.

Maybe its because most intellectual fans can look at this team and see that they were a very young, inexperienced team playing under a new set of coaches, and under a completly new scheme, and yuet they still did better then expected, and showed signs of being able to improve.

If your going to say that they won games they shouldn't have (because of something near the end of the game, you also have to include the ones they lost that they were still in til the end. If you actually look at the games, and not just the stats (or what the radio and TV said) there was only 2-3 games this year that the bills lost that were definite loses, and the rest of their loses were all within one score.

The Bills weren't a great team this year, but they were good. They were in the playoff hunt til the last couple weeks opf the year and played very well.

They went from a 5-11 team that was bickering and fighting in the lockerroom and had no direction, to being a young team with potential and played more as a team and won as a team.

I'm seriously starting to wish Ralph really would sell the team to someone else, or up and move this team away, Buffalo "fans" don't deserve a team

Maybe its because most intellectual fans can look at this team and see that they were a very young, inexperienced team playing under a new set of coaches, and under a completly new scheme, and yuet they still did better then expected, and showed signs of being able to improve.

If your going to say that they won games they shouldn't have (because of something near the end of the game, you also have to include the ones they lost that they were still in til the end. If you actually look at the games, and not just the stats (or what the radio and TV said) there was only 2-3 games this year that the bills lost that were definite loses, and the rest of their loses were all within one score.

The Bills weren't a great team this year, but they were good. They were in the playoff hunt til the last couple weeks opf the year and played very well.

They went from a 5-11 team that was bickering and fighting in the lockerroom and had no direction, to being a young team with potential and played more as a team and won as a team.

I'm seriously starting to wish Ralph really would sell the team to someone else, or up and move this team away, Buffalo "fans" don't deserve a team

You know that point in a thread, when you realize you are debating with NJ Sue? I'm there. This is a definite lose. Definite.

Ah yes ....

The smart approach bills fan :blink: