Smith might be let go by Chargers

link

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the San Diego Chargers might part ways with G.M. A.J. Smith after the April 2007 draft.

This reports meshes with our prediction that Smith will be let go for his role in the dysfunction that resulted in the termination of coach Marty Schottenheimer.

It also bolsters the mounting speculation that USC coach Pete Carroll is being, or has been, privately courted by the Chargers. Carroll most certainly would want final say over the roster, and if Smith couldn't get along with a head coach who didn't have final say, he'd never be able to work for one who does.

Still, if Carroll gets the job, the biggest challenge will be for him to hire a personnel guru who can do the job right. It's no coincidence that college coaches who have made the leap to the NFL in the post-salary cap era have struggled. It's one thing to recruit 25 blue-chippers every year and line 'em all up three deep on the depth chart. It's quite another to engage in the Peter-robbing, Paul-paying world of the NFL, where there are only so many quality players that can be signed without going over the total spending limit.

Though Carroll surely has Pat Kirwan on speed dial, Kirwan's specialty is cap and contracts. Besides, he has been out of the league for a while now. Carroll needs someone with the skills to find the right players at the right price, and then Carroll will be required to take that talent and coach it up in a way that will allow the team to overcome a playing field far more level than the raw talent gap Carroll has enjoyed in at least seven or eight games per year at USC.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

link

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the San Diego Chargers might part ways with G.M. A.J. Smith after the April 2007 draft.

This reports meshes with our prediction that Smith will be let go for his role in the dysfunction that resulted in the termination of coach Marty Schottenheimer.

It also bolsters the mounting speculation that USC coach Pete Carroll is being, or has been, privately courted by the Chargers. Carroll most certainly would want final say over the roster, and if Smith couldn't get along with a head coach who didn't have final say, he'd never be able to work for one who does.

Still, if Carroll gets the job, the biggest challenge will be for him to hire a personnel guru who can do the job right. It's no coincidence that college coaches who have made the leap to the NFL in the post-salary cap era have struggled. It's one thing to recruit 25 blue-chippers every year and line 'em all up three deep on the depth chart. It's quite another to engage in the Peter-robbing, Paul-paying world of the NFL, where there are only so many quality players that can be signed without going over the total spending limit.

Though Carroll surely has Pat Kirwan on speed dial, Kirwan's specialty is cap and contracts. Besides, he has been out of the league for a while now. Carroll needs someone with the skills to find the right players at the right price, and then Carroll will be required to take that talent and coach it up in a way that will allow the team to overcome a playing field far more level than the raw talent gap Carroll has enjoyed in at least seven or eight games per year at USC.

This was on Sportscenter too. :lol:

Has a 14-2 team that was an idiotic fumble away from the AFC title game EVER been in such shambles???

Two months ago, everyone (including myself) was calling Eli Manning an idiot for blocking a contract with San Diego because he and his family felt it was a "questionable organization." He doesn't look quite so dumb now....

A$$ or not the guy has stacked SD with the most talented roster in the NFL. I'd take him as Bills GM any day.

It helps when you get to pick #1 overall twice in a 5 year span and to make it golden in both those years you did not need to draft that top QB and is compensated with extra 1st rounders.....

AJ Smith is an OK GM...But just like Donahoe, he has screwed up with his Head Coach choices that ultimately will cost him his job.

And finally AJ Smith broke all his ties with Buffalo when he decided to ride the co-tails of John Butler and bad mouthed Wilson on his way out of Buffalo.

AJ Smith is an OK GM...But just like Donahoe, he has screwed up with his Head Coach choices that ultimately will cost him his job.

Try again...AJ had nothing to do with the hiring of Marty...It was all Butler.

AJ definitely screwed up the management of the relationship, but Marty wasn't his choice.

Yeah, well, that's what you get for being an !@#$.

Not a bad decision by the Chargers owner. I wouldn't want to keep around or hire anyone who engages in these types of squabbles. B/c when you get rid of one of the squabblers, the other will simply find a new target when they don't get their way, and that new target might be you.

Try again...AJ had nothing to do with the hiring of Marty...It was all Butler.

AJ definitely screwed up the management of the relationship, but Marty wasn't his choice.

AJ was his assistant GM and he was Butlers disciple.....Again, why did AJ extend Marty after he became the GM and could not have a working relationship with Marty...It is not like AJ was recruited from another team and forced to have Marty as his HC.

Wow. I had to wonder if Marty knew something else to the story when he didn't seem all that pissed about what was happening. This would make sense in that regard. What a total mess. Even if this report is untrue, for it to come out is not good at all for that organization.

He will be owed close to 4M dollars by the Chargers organization....That has to make you smile... :lol:

AJ was his assistant GM and he was Butlers disciple.....Again, why did AJ extend Marty after he became the GM and could not have a working relationship with Marty...It is not like AJ was recruited from another team and forced to have Marty as his HC.

Yes the extension was an error. I can't imagine having so much success and not being able to stomach each other enough to talk to even speak to one another...Poorly handled on all sides...

Smith will be snapped up quickly as a GM. I suspect a team like Houston, Miami or Detroit will be wise to overlook his personality and focus on his track record and production. Spanos is making a good decision in getting rid of him. The spectre of Smith as an all powerful personality (I got rid of MS and I can get rid of you if you cross me mentality) will poison the well for whoever comes next.

link

:lol:

Then why wouldn't they have canned Smith instead of Shotty in the first friggin' place? And if the plan is to get rid of Smith in the very near future, then why let him a ) interview the HC candidates and b ) run the draft?

Then again, this would be asking one of the Spanoses to make a coherent decision. That in itself is pretty far-fetched...

It helps when you get to pick #1 overall twice in a 5 year span and to make it golden in both those years you did not need to draft that top QB and is compensated with extra 1st rounders.....

And finally AJ Smith broke all his ties with Buffalo when he decided to ride the co-tails of John Butler and bad mouthed Wilson on his way out of Buffalo.

Bingo, brother. :lol:

Marty did not report to AJ.

They both reported to the owner, with the mandate to work together.

AJ will be gone after the draft at teh latest.

Pete Carroll is the man with the super-secret anti-Rooney contract already in place.

Marty did not report to AJ.

They both reported to the owner, with the mandate to work together.

AJ will be gone after the draft at teh latest.

Pete Carroll is the man with the super-secret anti-Rooney contract already in place.

I can't think of a person I'd like to have less than Carrol running the show. I think I'd take Spurrier over him. Poor SD fans if that comes to pass.