#%$@!!! Drafting a CB at #1...

OCinBuffalo

Link

Unsung Thomas would be key loss for Bills' secondary

By Connor J. Byrne on February 14, 2007 12:04 AM

"By losing both Thomas and Clements, which seems probable, the Bills would be down two of their top three CBs by early March. Sans the duo, Buffalo, preliminarily, would have average cover man Terrence McGee as its replacement for Clements and unproven second-year man Ashton Youboty in McGee's old spot.

In order for their defense to achieve success next season, the Bills would be best served keeping McGee in the second starting role and moving Youboty into Thomas' soon-to-be vacated spot. Thus, finding Clements' replacement could either take place through free agency or the draft."

I am sure that many here would cry oceans of tears if Marv was to stick to his supposed "strategy" of drafting a CB high(as has been documented by posters here ad nauseam). But, based on Connor's argument here - he might not be wrong to draft a CB high - especially if Thomas moves on. :wallbash: I don't know if Jabari Greer can step up to either the #2 CB or, if Youboty ramps up, the nickel back spot - and not have the defensive backfield lose effectiveness.

b]

I am sure that many here would cry oceans of tears if Marv was to stick to his supposed "strategy" of drafting a CB high(as has been documented by posters here ad nauseam). But, based on Connor's argument here - he might not be wrong to draft a CB high - especially if Thomas moves on. :wallbash: I don't know if Jabari Greer can step up to either the #2 CB or, if Youboty ramps up, the nickel back spot - and not have the defensive backfield lose effectiveness.

But OC, when does it end? How long must we devote our best resources to the secondary? McGee is good but not great. It would be ideal if we could save him strictly for special teams. Should we take a 1st round corner in 07 AND 08?

Who is to say that the CBs must be 1st round picks, as opposed to other positions, such as LB, OL and DL?

But OC, when does it end? How long must we devote our best resources to the secondary? McGee is good but not great. It would be ideal if we could save him strictly for special teams. Should we take a 1st round corner in 07 AND 08?

Who is to say that the CBs must be 1st round picks, as opposed to other positions, such as LB, OL and DL?

How do we know if he's great? I can't think of a single corner who isn't amazing effective when there is a consistant pass rush, which the BILLS are woefully lacking.

The NFL trend is to take WRs and CBs high. It's been that way for years.

http://www.draftdaddy.com/prospects/collegescout.cfm

This guy has us selecting - Chris Houston CB/Arkansas

I loved this mock draft because it has the rational of each team under each selection. Houston was on Sirius NFL radio today and he said he ran a 4.27 40. After the combine this will be the guy that shoots up the draft charts in terms of being the best (and only?) lock-down corner in the draft. On a side note he said that Meacham was the fastest receiver he had faced this season.

Whatever happens, I think the Bills will have their pick of a can't miss type player at 12. It will be one of a bunch of guys like Branch, Okoye, Brown, Willis, Timmons and Revis. Houston very well may end up being one of those "can't miss" type guys that the Bills could take. It seems he was able to be a dominant player in a conference with a bunch of top receivers.

This is a wierd draft because until I see who's left after the Niners pick, I still don't know who'd I'd like the Bills to take.

How do we know if he's great? I can't think of a single corner who isn't amazing effective when there is a consistant pass rush?

The NFL trend is to take WRs and CBs high. It's been that way for years.

I was always under the impression (not to say I HAVE to be correct) that the first players selected were generally QBs, LTs and DEs, because few humans are able to play these positions at the NFL level.

I also think that because of JP, Peters, Schobel/Denney and hopefully Kelsay, the Bills are strong at these positions. If we can make a substantial difference up the middle on both sides, I sincerely believe that we can make a playoff run. This is why I hope we franchise Fletcher, and draft with the primary goal to be getting more physical inside.

http://www.draftdaddy.com/prospects/collegescout.cfm

This guy has us selecting - Chris Houston CB/Arkansas

I loved this mock draft because it has the rational of each team under each selection. Houston was on Sirius NFL radio today and he said he ran a 4.7 40. After the combine this will be the guy that shoots up the draft charts in terms of being the best (and only?) lock-down corner in the draft. On a side note he said that Meacham was the fastest receiver he had faced this season.

Whatever happens, I think the Bills will have their pick of a can't miss type player at 12. It will be one of a bunch of guys like Branch, Okoye, Brown, Willis, Timmons and Revis. Houston very well may end up being one of those "can't miss" type guys that the Bills could take. It seems he was able to be a dominant player in a conference with a bunch of top receivers.

This is a wierd draft because until I see who's left after the Niners pick, I still don't know who'd I'd like the Bills to take.

He also has us taking Brandon Siler, MLB UF, in the 2nd and then Michael Bush in the 3rd.

How do we jump from the article saying we're considering addressing cornerback in the draft, to addressing cornerback in the 1st round? As far as I'm concerned, with our cover 2 scheme, we could bring in a 4th or 5th rounder and have him compete with Youboty and Kiwaukee. Nowhere in the article do they specify a 1st round pick.

I was always under the impression (not to say I HAVE to be correct) that the first players selected were generally QBs, LTs and DEs, because few humans are able to play these positions at the NFL level.

I also think that because of JP, Peters, Schobel/Denney and hopefully Kelsay, the Bills are strong at these positions. If we can make a substantial difference up the middle on both sides, I sincerely believe that we can make a playoff run. This is why I hope we franchise Fletcher, and draft with the primary goal to be getting more physical inside.

Here is the breakdown of the first round, by position, over the last 5 years:

DB-35

WR-26

DE-24

DT-19

RB-18

QB-18

OT-15

TE-10

OG-5

C-3

Here is the breakdown of the first round, by position, over the last 5 years:

DB-35

WR-26

DE-24

DT-19

RB-18

OT-15

TE-10

OG-5

C-3

Thank you Brother. Very good work!!!

I think that the stats, while they tell quite a bit, are slightly deceptive for the following reasons:

1) DBs combine safeties and corners.

2) OTs combine right and left tackles.

3) You forgot qbs. :lol:

4) It is not an indication of how early players go in round 1. If I have time, I will do some research with top 12 picks.

I am still thinking that the hardest players to get are QBs, LTs, and DEs. I also make the case that on the rare occasion a football team is able to get a star at one of these positions with a late round pick, good things happen. Good examples would be the Bears with that kid from Alabama, and of course NE with Brady. There are others.

Darin, if Peters stays healthy and keeps improving, he will go down as a score for the Buffalo Bills of monumental proportion. I really do think that they are close to being a winning team (of course we also need some luck).

How about you?

Edit: Sorry, didn't see the qb stat.

I'm not sure we can't keep Thomas for goodness sake. I would think that would be a no-brainer with Clements going.

I'm betting that a closer look at the game film might make that a no-brainer in an entirely different way than most think.

I'm not sure we can't keep Thomas for goodness sake. I would think that would be a no-brainer with Clements going. I'm for dealing with the front seven first....starting with the front four....actually the middle of the front four.

Every article that I have seen written states that Thomas wants to play closer to his home down South and that he want's to be paid like a starter.

Marv has said he is interested in resigning him- but the two sides obviously aren't in agreement as to his value.

There is still time to bridge the gap before free-agency begins.

How do we jump from the article saying we're considering addressing cornerback in the draft, to addressing cornerback in the 1st round? As far as I'm concerned, with our cover 2 scheme, we could bring in a 4th or 5th rounder and have him compete with Youboty and Kiwaukee. Nowhere in the article do they specify a 1st round pick.

I'm with you.......cover 2 Defences seem to achieve success with lower round drafted CBs than non cover 2 teams(see list below).

I see absolutely no reason why we must use a 1st round pick to replace NC......half of the non-cover 2 teams do not do it anyway......why must we?

Cover 2 CBs

Bears

Tillman..........2nd round

Vasher..........4th round

Colts

Harper..........UFA

David...........4th round

Bucs

Buchanon.....FA acquisition(Originally 1st round)

Barber.........3rd round

Bucs(superbowl year)

Barber.........3rd round

Kelly............2nd round

A quick look at the AFC playoff team corners

Patriots

Samuel.........4th round

Hobbs...........3rd round

Jets

Miller............2nd round

Dyson...........FA acquisition(Originally 2nd round)

Ravens

McAlister.......1st round

Rolle.............2nd round

Chargers

Jammer.........1st round

Florence.........2nd round

Chiefs

Law...............FA acquisition(Originally 1st round)

Surtain..........2nd round

I'm with you.......cover 2 Defences seem to achieve success with lower round drafted CBs than non cover 2 teams(see list below).

I see absolutely no reason why we must use a 1st round pick to replace NC......half of the non-cover 2 teams do not do it anyway......why must we?

Cover 2 CBs

Bears

Tillman..........2nd round

Vasher..........4th round

Colts

Harper..........UFA

David...........4th round

Bucs

Buchanon.....FA acquisition(Originally 1st round)

Barber.........3rd round

Bucs(superbowl year)

Barber.........3rd round

Kelly............2nd round

A quick look at the AFC playoff team corners

Patriots

Samuel.........4th round

Hobbs...........3rd round

Jets

Miller............2nd round

Dyson...........FA acquisition(Originally 2nd round)

Ravens

McAlister.......1st round

Rolle.............2nd round

Chargers

Jammer.........1st round

Florence.........2nd round

Chiefs

Law...............FA acquisition(Originally 1st round)

Surtain..........2nd round

Thanks for the background research!

I think we have a number of threads on this board now- talking about the cover two.

As your research shows- we don't have to spend premium picks to fill the cb position in a cover 2.

Agreed. I saw someone in one thread or another in the last few days say we must re-sign Nate Clements because of the "gaping hole" he would leave behind in our secondary. Can a cover 2 team ever really have a "gaping hole" at the cornerback position? Even if we lost both Clements and Kiwaukee (still think we'll re-sign him), the void we'd have would be more like a small hole in the dam that we could fill with a piece of chewing gum. Or Ashton Youboty, of course.