USA beats Mexico 2-0

Pete

Nice win for us tonight!

Go ahead and make a kickball reference

Definitely a great win. The U.S. is 7-0-1 in their last 8 home games against Mexico and have outscored them 13-0. Very solid second half for the Americans and Donovan actually played up to his talent level. His breakout between the two Mexican defenders on the last goal was beautiful. It's just too bad the Mexican team is still gutless and classless with some of the sh-- they were trying to pull late in the game.

Was this Mexico's real national team or just a bunch of throw togethers because their real players are all on traveling teams?

The USA has turned the tables on this rivalry, and have pretty much owned the Mexicans since the mid-90's. We still don't win in Mexico City, but with the smog, elevation, and 110,000 piss-hurling Mexicans, nobody else does either.

Speaking of throw-togethers, the USA has a full roster of 'next generation' players who have little or no national team experience, with a few World Cup vets sprinkled in. The USA has an interim coach who was on the bench for only his second game, and he is giving a bunch of new, young players a chance to perform. Mexico had their two big-name strikers playing, as well as their superstar Marquez who plays for Barcelona. The rest may have been a rag-tag bunch, but the same could be said for the American side.

Mexico has not scored a goal on United States soil since they tallied one in a 2-1 loss in 1999. They have connected on several kicks to the groin during that timeframe, though.

Doesn't that tie the record for most combined goals by two teams in a soccer game?

Seriously, I have as much or more respect for old people than anyone, but couldn't a bunch of 87 year old women in wheelchairs with cholostomy bags have scored as many goals as Mexico did?

Answer: Yes

Doesn't that tie the record for most combined goals by two teams in a soccer game?

Seriously, I have as much or more respect for old people than anyone, but couldn't a bunch of 87 year old women in wheelchairs with cholostomy bags have scored as many goals as Mexico did?

Answer: Yes

I would consider myself a soccer fan...I have a brother who played D-I soccer in college in the Big East, and I understand the game pretty well. I have been to top-level pro games in several different countries in Europe, including England (go Everton!) and Holland. That said, I can't see the game catching on across a large spectrum of fans here in the U.S. There are too many other sporting options that are, frankly, more exciting to watch. I was watching part of the USA-Mexico game yesterday while flipping back to UNC-Duke hoops. The soccer game made me pass out, seriously.

They say that more kids across the US play soccer than any other sport, and it's ready to boom. But it's been that way for awhile, as far as youth-participation statistics, and it still hasn't 'boomed' yet. I can see it being successful, and I can see the MLS as a viable professional league, but I just can't see it capturing the attention of the masses.

I would consider myself a soccer fan...I have a brother who played D-I soccer in college in the Big East, and I understand the game pretty well. I have been to top-level pro games in several different countries in Europe, including England (go Everton!) and Holland. That said, I can't see the game catching on across a large spectrum of fans here in the U.S. There are too many other sporting options that are, frankly, more exciting to watch. I was watching part of the USA-Mexico game yesterday while flipping back to UNC-Duke hoops. The soccer game made me pass out, seriously.

They say that more kids across the US play soccer than any other sport, and it's ready to boom. But it's been that way for awhile, as far as youth-participation statistics, and it still hasn't 'boomed' yet. I can see it being successful, and I can see the MLS as a viable professional league, but I just can't see it capturing the attention of the masses.

It won't. The MLS and all the leagues desperately want the US to catch on because well, it's such a huge amount of money possibly being made just from tv contracts. They should seriously give it up.

1. Why is it that soccer haters constanly tell other people that they dont like it. i dont like baseball but i dont tell others that. i assue they dont really care.

Because we know how much it bothers you kickballers.

2. Anybody planning on going up to toronto to see a game?

Not after April...