Did Peyton deserve the MVP?

Just wondering what everyone thinks about Peyton being awarded the MVP of the game. Was it by process of elimation. Addai had 10 catches to go along with 77 rushing yards. Rhodes had 113 and a touch. Im not sure what Peytons longest pass was but I know the majority were short dump offs because he was "taking what the defense gave him" as they say. He finished 25 of 38 for 247. Wayne and Harrison did nothing. Hayden the cb had 5 tackles and the pick for a touchdown.

Other than that there was nobody so I think either you have to do co-mvps with Addai and Rhodes or give it to Peyton which they did.

Just wondering what everyone thinks about Peyton being awarded the MVP of the game. Was it by process of elimation. Addai had 10 catches to go along with 77 rushing yards. Rhodes had 113 and a touch. Im not sure what Peytons longest pass was but I know the majority were short dump offs because he was "taking what the defense gave him" as they say. He finished 25 of 38 for 247. Wayne and Harrison did nothing. Hayden the cb had 5 tackles and the pick for a touchdown.

Other than that there was nobody so I think either you have to do co-mvps with Addai and Rhodes or give it to Peyton which they did.

I'd have to give it to the entire offensive line. No, they never award it that way, but those backs ran through some monster holes and Manning had good protection nearly all game.

I think this year (and several others) just further shows that the whole Super Bowl MVP thing shouldn't be considered such a big deal. In the consummate team game that is football, it is silly that we take time out to recognize the most valuable player for a single game and then act like it should still mean something 20 years later. Great, so Peyton is the MVP of Super Bowl XLI by being maybe the best skill player on the winning team of a sloppy game that was decided by inept play rather than big-time moments.

Yeah it sometimes shows who steps up when it counts. But just as often it shows who had the best numbers on the winning team...no matter how pedestrian.

Frankly, if he didn't miss that FG, I'd think about Vinateri. His last kickoff to Hester was a thing of beauty, really. He dropped that !@#$er in a soft spot and watched it roll into the endzone for a touchback.

But in the end, Manning is as good a choice as anyone. He took a lot of hits, in particular on the TD pass to Wayne. I'm still not sure how he got the ball there.

And someone here (don't remember who) was commenting about Manning bitching throughout the game, but I have no problem with that. He saw something on the pass to Harrison that came up somewhat empty and he yelled about it, but I believe on the next series they ran what looked like the very same play and it turned into a big gainer.

eh....perhaps. I guess with no clear cut winner they gave it to the sentimental favorite, who just so happens to be the team leader

I thought the co-mvp running back thing, even before Simms said it, but the simple problem with that is that there was only one Caddy. I don't think you will ever see co-mvp's, and both running backs played equally well. To choose one over the other would have been a slap in the face, so Peyton was the next best choice.

eh....perhaps. I guess with no clear cut winner they gave it to the sentimental favorite, who just so happens to be the team leader

Because they couldn't (1) Split the award between Rhoes and Addai nor (2) Give it to the defence, they gave it to the offensive team's "manager". Manning did a good job of managing the game.

I thought the co-mvp running back thing, even before Simms said it, but the simple problem with that is that there was only one Caddy. I don't think you will ever see co-mvp's, and both running backs played equally well. To choose one over the other would have been a slap in the face, so Peyton was the next best choice.

That's a good idea.

My vote would have been for Rhodes.

Frankly, if he didn't miss that FG, I'd think about Vinateri. His last kickoff to Hester was a thing of beauty, really. He dropped that !@#$er in a soft spot and watched it roll into the endzone for a touchback.

And interestingly enough the opener that Hester took back was also a pretty nice kick that Vinatieri hung pretty good and dropped at the 5 outside the hashes.

I also thought he did a nice job the rest of the game, not only with ball placement, but he also probably drew the duty of calling kicking coverages depending on where the Bears kept moving Hester at any given time.