Peyton can't win big games

Simon

In the past he couldn't.
In the past he was saddled with porous defenses, gutless passcatchers, and bumbling OLines. But yeah it was their best player's fault they couldn't win the big one. :D

How DARE people say such a thing! Especially while he was getting his azz handed to him year after year after year.

Takes a sh---ton of courage to say "I told you so" five seconds after the Super Bowl.

Yeah, he was really getting his ass handed to him. The guy has played a ton of postseason football and in all those outings there's been a grand total of about 2 games where he didn't play well. So he plays well in about 85% of elimination games against teh best competition the planet has to offer, but yeah he's the Colts problem.

And I've been saying this for years, not just tonight.

He's won a bunch of key games that have led to division titles, is over .500 in his playoff career completing better than 60% of his throws for nearly 300yrds/game in the postseason while throwing more TD's than picks and leading marginally coached and undertalented COlts teams further than they ever ahd any right to expect. And you brainiacs want to rag on him for it.

Dumbass.

I always hated the whole "So&So can't win the big game".....even when it applies to Dan Marino, who i despised.

it's never one guy that wins ANY game, including the Super Bowl.

It's the most misused football criticism.

After any loss, the finger can get pointed at numerous individuals and coaches.

anyway, I'm glad for Peyton and his team for winning the Lombardi.

it's never one guy that wins ANY game, including the Super Bowl.

It's the most misused football criticism.

Agreed. ALthough it usually seems to be misused by folks who spend all their time staring at a QB and still don't even know what he's supposed to be doing, much less the other 40 guys on the field.

In the past he was saddled with porous defenses, gutless passcatchers, and bumbling OLines. But yeah it was their best player's fault they couldn't win the big one. :D

Yeah, he was really getting his ass handed to him. The guy has played a ton of postseason football and in all those outings there's been a grand total of about 2 games where he didn't play well. So he plays well in about 85% of elimination games against teh best competition the planet has to offer, but yeah he's the Colts problem.

And I've been saying this for years, not just tonight.

He's won a bunch of key games that have led to division titles, is over .500 in his playoff career completing better than 60% of his throws for nearly 300yrds/game in the postseason while throwing more TD's than picks and leading marginally coached and undertalented COlts teams further than they ever ahd any right to expect. And you brainiacs want to rag on him for it.

Dumbass.

For such a self-proclaimed astute guy, its pretty funny that you miss the BASIC premise that when you lose more than once, you get labeled as "cant win the big game" and when you win, that goes away.

Go ask Jim Kelly what all those wonderful post-season stats mean.

its pretty funny that you miss the BASIC premise that when you lose more than once, you get labeled as "cant win the big game" and when you win, that goes away.

And you miss the basic premise that people who use labels like that are dumbasses.....

For such a self-proclaimed astute guy, its pretty funny that you miss the BASIC premise that when you lose more than once, you get labeled as "cant win the big game" and when you win, that goes away.

Go ask Jim Kelly what all those wonderful post-season stats mean.

Jim Kelly has wonderful post-season stats? I thought there's another thread on this board about how bad of stats he has in superbowls.

Peyton didn't win it single handedly. His defense got hot at the right time and carried them to the superbowl.

And the running game. Truth was in the first couple of playoff games, the Colts almost won in spite of Manning. He had 3 tds and 7 ints in the playoffs.

But yeah, the whole idea him not being able to win a big game is stupid. Any football game you win is a big one. And he has won a lot over the years.

dumbasses..........

One of the few things we seem to agree on. Peyton was and is a spectacular player.

How DARE people say such a thing! Especially while he was getting his azz handed to him year after year after year.

Takes a sh---ton of courage to say "I told you so" five seconds after the Super Bowl.

:D:wallbash::blink:

He was? Year after year, he had a terrible playoff defense and the secondaries of other teams were raping his receivers. I cant remember what year it was, but it was the playoffs before they started to reinforce the 5-yard chuck rule. Ty Law and company was all over Harrison and Co, 20-30 yards down field, and yet everyone was wondering why Manning was doing so poorly?

Yeah, well that's blatantly false.

I believe most of his truly poor playoff games were from 1999-2002. Since then he has thrown 2937 yards, 17 TD's and 13 INT's. In those next 10 playoff games, he had two truly bad games. This year against Baltimore and in 2003 against NE. He combined for 1 TD and 6 INT in those TWO games. In the other EIGHT games he had 16 TD's, and 7 INT's.

Congrats to Peyton. What can I say- I love to root against him. Cant figure out why he rubs me the wrong way and I am no anti- person. Peyton seems like a great guy and does alot for charity, and is a very good QB. Why do I dislike him so much? My guess is he is way overexposed, was born with a silver spoon, Eli sucks, Archie and Peyton had no business crying to San Diego about little Eli, and Peyton did underachieve with some great teams, not to mention tonight 3 Indy TDs were scored by the defense and a blown coverage, and oh yeah-Peyton was a kitty tonight on two plays...... oh well-congrats Peyton! I will back off on you for now

Peyton didn't win it single handedly. His defense got hot at the right time and carried them to the superbowl.

Exactly. The Colts got hot at the right moment with all 3 facets of their team clicking throughout the playoffs, much like the Steelers did last year (notwithstanding a so-so game by the offence in XL). That the defence clicked late in the season made a good team a great team, that clearly deserves the Lombardi.

In the past he couldn't. There was a definite change in his approach this year.

lol, like uhm... he was not the only player on his team? or perhaps it was because his defense did play like a bunch of little girls. or maybe it was the fact that his defense had two interceptions, or perhaps tom brady won those sb's all by himself also and only tom brady is a one man super bowl winning machine.

this is stupid.. football is a TEAM game which is won by a a team and only a team. Peyton helped his team and I know he'd be the first to admit it was a team win and he was just a part of that team.

.. but if it was tom brady in there he'd be the greatest qb ever because he won the game without a team he just won it by himself with no team... he was alone on the field.

-------------------

summary of above: NE beat Indy in the past because NE's defense played better than Indy's. This year Indy had a defense to compliment Peyton, who was the same old amazing QB that he has been for years.