i know most of you are anti-pirating

DrDawkinstein

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Adams, check it out. people are starting to fight back and win.

im not scared of bullies

Billionares picking on 11 year old kids

wait a minute...fighting back?

as much as I disagree with and hate the recording companies, downloading music is still stealing

if you're going to do it, recognize what you're doing, accept it and do it...don't pretend that people are out there fighting for higher causes

wait a minute...fighting back?

as much as I disagree with and hate the recording companies, downloading music is still stealing

if you're going to do it, recognize what you're doing, accept it and do it...don't pretend that people are out there fighting for higher causes

no one is saying that stealing is right, they are fighting how the RIAA decides whom to go after and how.

they can bring lawsuits against anyone just by finding random ips, without any actual proof that theyve been uploading music. they have the lawyers and the time and the money to make these blanket lawsuits just to further their political lobbying power.

they are fighting a war on an abstract concept, much like the war on drugs and terrorism, when they could/should be concentrating those efforts to adapting to the new technology.

and isnt this a CAPITALIST society? dont the consumers have a voice? or SHOULDNT they?

quite frankly, i spent most/all of my money on music/cds while growing up. i put a collection together that has probably seen thousands of dollars in investment. and after years and years of buying into it, it got to the point where cd prices were STILL GOING UP, and quality of product was not.

just because we are consumers doesnt mean we HAVE to spend money.

if the bills dont put out a good product, we stop buying tickets and watch the games for free (well, i do cause im out of state).

with gas prices on the rise and oil companies reporting RECORD PROFITS IN THE BILLIONS, i sold my truck and take public transportation everywhere.

the big airlines stopped giving great service yet still charge 3 times more than the small guys, and now Jet Blue and Airtran are on the rise.

and with the RIAA raping artists, then turning around and hosing the consumers with ever growing prices, i CHOOSE not to buy into their business.

is it stealing? sure. but MORE SO, consider it civil disobedience. you dont HAVE to kowtow to businesses. the RIAA brought this entire thing on themselves. and instead of listening to their customers, and staying up with technology, they chose to do neither and launch a "war" against its very customers. Sorry but its not my fault that they feel they have the right to force people to comply with their crappy, short-sighted business model.

the RIAA is nothing more than a musical DARE. an organization proven not to work, but they cant get rid of it now because its in deep politically.

DONT BE STUPID WEAK CONSUMERS STRICTLY BECAUSE YOU EARN MONEY AND THINK YOU HAVE TO SPEND IT. you do have a choice with how you spend it, and you should have a voice in the quality of that product.

Ealier I mentioned where to get u2 live bootlegs.

Anyone else want to chip in and mention what blogs etc. they get their music from?

Hype Machine is a blog mp3 aggregator. Type in a search, and it will pull up all the blogs that have entries for that particular artist. It's pretty fabulous.

I hit a lot of punk rock/hardcore blogs, but there are blogs out there for every conceivable style of music. Some of my faves are:

Something I Learned Today

Killed by Death

Good Music for Bad, Bad Times

7 Inch Punk

Strange Reaction

Post Punk Junk

Post Punk Junk's server is booting him at the end of the week. His PPJ "mixtapes" are pretty solid. They're not always my cup of brew, but they're a great eclectic mix of punk, new wave, post-punk and weird-o stuff. I prefer the "podcasts" on the Strange Reaction site, and Something I Learned Today has recently started those as well. Anyway, those interested in the PPJ stuff should head over there and check it out before it dissappears.

I also hit a lot of the small label sites, because they are most-generous with the freebie-mp3s, and it's cool to check out stuff that'll never go over the commercial airwaves that you might miss out on. For example Dischord Records, home of Minor Threat, Fugazi, etc have just updated their site and have some great stuff on there for those of you who don't already have it. There's tons of small labels out there that WANT you to hear their bands.

There's tons of music out there on the 'tubes. Find stuff you like, then buy some of the stuff from the independent labels. Avoid music manufactured by the Corporate Rock Whores that don't give a crap about you, the musicians or the music.

I can't figure out why sales are slumping.

The Billboard Hot 100

1 Beyonce

2 Fall Out Boy

3 Nelly Furtado

4 Daughtry

5 Akon Featuring Snoop Dogg

6 Gwen Stefani Featuring Akon

7 Ludacris Featuring Mary J. Blige

8 Jim Jones

9 Fergie

10 Justin Timberlake

yeah really....they peddle one H.O.R.S.E.S.H.I.T act after another and wonder why people don't want to pay for music. you can't find anything the slightest bit off-kilter or experimental on regular radio, so there's no way truly innovative acts to be discovered. every "new" act is some cookie-cutter version of the one that preceded it....all stylized and sanitized and accesorized for the masses.

i use dimeadozen.org for "legal" bootlegs of all types, demonoid.com for those that are less than legal downloads

Ealier I mentioned where to get u2 live bootlegs.

Anyone else want to chip in and mention what blogs etc. they get their music from?

Edited by POOJER

Hype Machine is a blog mp3 aggregator. Type in a search, and it will pull up all the blogs that have entries for that particular artist. It's pretty fabulous.

I hit a lot of punk rock/hardcore blogs, but there are blogs out there for every conceivable style of music. Some of my faves are:

Something I Learned Today

Killed by Death

Good Music for Bad, Bad Times

7 Inch Punk

Strange Reaction

Post Punk Junk

Post Punk Junk's server is booting him at the end of the week. His PPJ "mixtapes" are pretty solid. They're not always my cup of brew, but they're a great eclectic mix of punk, new wave, post-punk and weird-o stuff. I prefer the "podcasts" on the Strange Reaction site, and Something I Learned Today has recently started those as well. Anyway, those interested in the PPJ stuff should head over there and check it out before it dissappears.

I also hit a lot of the small label sites, because they are most-generous with the freebie-mp3s, and it's cool to check out stuff that'll never go over the commercial airwaves that you might miss out on. For example Dischord Records, home of Minor Threat, Fugazi, etc have just updated their site and have some great stuff on there for those of you who don't already have it. There's tons of small labels out there that WANT you to hear their bands.

There's tons of music out there on the 'tubes. Find stuff you like, then buy some of the stuff from the independent labels. Avoid music manufactured by the Corporate Rock Whores that don't give a crap about you, the musicians or the music.

Thanks for posting...I'll check the sites out.

Here is a site I go to that does a blog search for you.It's excellent.

Link

yeah really....they peddle one H.O.R.S.E.S.H.I.T act after another and wonder why people don't want to pay for music. you can't find anything the slightest bit off-kilter or experimental on regular radio, so there's no way truly innovative acts to be discovered. every "new" act is some cookie-cutter version of the one that preceded it....all stylized and sanitized and accesorized for the masses.

thats because the RIAA pays radio stations to play certain albums. long gone are the days when someone could make a record and take it around from radio station to radio station and maybe get it played, then have people cal in and request it and build some steam from there. crappy radio is all decided by the record company paying money, money they beat up some teenager for. its a vicious cycle.

and isnt this a CAPITALIST society? dont the consumers have a voice? or SHOULDNT they?

Assuming it's a capitalist society (dubious assumption), the consumers do have a voice. Read on boy to see how.

and with the RIAA raping artists, then turning around and hosing the consumers with ever growing prices, i CHOOSE not to buy into their business.

Poor starving Van Halen. Poor homeless Beyonce. Boo f*cking hoo. I have a friend who's had 3 deals fall through with labels and still made over 700K in contract money. That means the labels invested millions in his failures and got almost no return. That, my friend, is why the record companies charge money. There are more misses than hits.

is it stealing? sure. but MORE SO, consider it civil disobedience. you dont HAVE to kowtow to businesses. the RIAA brought this entire thing on themselves. and instead of listening to their customers, and staying up with technology, they chose to do neither and launch a "war" against its very customers. Sorry but its not my fault that they feel they have the right to force people to comply with their crappy, short-sighted business model.

Let me get this straight. You care about the bands but hate the RIAA. Thus, you download the music for free. I assume when you do that, you send a check off to the band so they get the money from you without the evil RIAA involvement? I know you do that. I mean, the band is the creative force behind the music so they should get paid. As should some engineer in a recording studio. And the guy who cleans the recording studio. And the building owner who rents the recording studio. And the company who makes the recording equipment. Oh wait--this is a capitalist discussion. You get all this so I'm sure you're sending the money in.

the RIAA is nothing more than a musical DARE. an organization proven not to work, but they cant get rid of it now because its in deep politically.

DONT BE STUPID WEAK CONSUMERS STRICTLY BECAUSE YOU EARN MONEY AND THINK YOU HAVE TO SPEND IT. you do have a choice with how you spend it, and you should have a voice in the quality of that product.

Right. Here's how capitalism works. If you want to protest, don't buy it. Don't support it.

But not for you boy wonder. You actually do support it. You own it. You play it. You tell your friends about it. So in fact, you want the music so you steal it like the selfish prig you are and justify your theft with some civil disobedience BS.

Here's an analogy your childish mind won't grasp. I don't believe in eating meat but I sure love the taste of bacon and steaks. Since I don't want to support companies that kill the animals, I steal the meat and thus get to eat it. I tell my friends how much I love the meat. I serve it to my guests. This is my form of vegetarian civil disobedience. I'm sticking it to Frank Perdue every time I eat some bacon.

John Adams, check it out. people are starting to fight back and win.

im not scared of bullies

Billionares picking on 11 year old kids

You think this is a win?

The industry dropped its case against her in December but sued Robert and his sister Michelle, now 20, in federal court in White Plains. Michelle has been ordered to pay $30,750 in a default judgment because she did not respond to the lawsuit.

Most of the RIAA defendants have something in common: they lose.

quite frankly, i spent most/all of my money on music/cds while growing up. i put a collection together that has probably seen thousands of dollars in investment. and after years and years of buying into it, it got to the point where cd prices were STILL GOING UP, and quality of product was not.

just because we are consumers doesnt mean we HAVE to spend money.

if the bills dont put out a good product, we stop buying tickets and watch the games for free (well, i do cause im out of state).

with gas prices on the rise and oil companies reporting RECORD PROFITS IN THE BILLIONS, i sold my truck and take public transportation everywhere.

the big airlines stopped giving great service yet still charge 3 times more than the small guys, and now Jet Blue and Airtran are on the rise.

There is so much wrong with this post that it's almost funny. If you think bands are just NOW putting out CD's with one or two good songs on them your nuts. They have been doing it forever. The first CD I bought back in 1988 cost me about $15 bucks. Guess what the price of a CD today is? Around $15 bucks, cheaper if you get it at Best Buy. So the aurgument about prices being higher is false. I'm sure if whoever is stealing music wouldn't mind if the products or services that thier jobs provide were suddenly available for free so people could steal them that they wouldn't mind.