Franchise Tag Clements Now! Screw honor....

genomich

it's a business for god's sake...the NFL is hardly a honorable business...it is cut-throat and the Bills should be cut-throat. We cannot compete if we develop talent and let them walk away without compensation. Particularly, if we do things "on the cheap" as Ralph is prone to do. Clubs lie to players and players lie to clubs. Join the friggin' real world and play the game. Franchise clements. If another club wants to pay him big bucks, god bless. We get draft choices at least. The NFL has the franchise tag to give the clubs more power in negotiations with players, and to keep the playing field equal between teams...USE it for god's sake.

it's a business for god's sake...the NFL is hardly a honorable business...it is cut-throat and the Bills should be cut-throat. We cannot compete if we develop talent and let them walk away without compensation. Particularly, if we do things "on the cheap" as Ralph is prone to do. Clubs lie to players and players lie to clubs. Join the friggin' real world and play the game. Franchise clements. If another club wants to pay him big bucks, god bless. We get draft choices at least. The NFL has the franchise tag to give the clubs more power in negotiations with players, and to keep the playing field equal between teams...USE it for god's sake.

Because the Bills have class...and Marv has class. If you like to screw honor..then you hire TD...want a classy organization...you pick the Bills under Marv and Ralph. I am not saying I am against the tag...but if we promised NC we would not use it...they we do not use it.

Guess your momma raised you different. I'd be horrified if they promised him they wouldn't and then tagged him.

Guess your momma raised you different. I'd be horrified if they promised him they wouldn't and then tagged him.

Think of the ramifications if the Bills went against their word. No agent in their right mind would ever consider an offer from the Bills once word got out that we aren't honourable.

BAD IDEA TO FRANCHISE CLEMENTS.

Dude,.. Nate had it written into his one year contract that he signed. End of story.

says who? where? im not saying we should use it, but we've all been looking for proof one way or another. if its in his contract then its a non-issue. where'd you see that?

says who? where? im not saying we should use it, but we've all been looking for proof one way or another. if its in his contract then its a non-issue. where'd you see that?

Nate was quted as saying that on a radio interview a month or so ago.

I'd use the Transition tag, if it's available to them. That keeps the matching option open...I think it's guaranteed top ten money.

The B'gals did that with TKO - and then-new HC Lewis tried mightily to retain him. It didn't work out - he was understandably disgusted with them so he was moving on regardless.

And he's a FA - there will be compensation.

First off franchise Clements? Umm, no. For what reason? To have a player that will be utterly PO's in the lockerroom?

"We cannot compete if we develop talent and let them walk away without compensation" Nate has been in the league for 6 years. It's not like he's been there for two, we trained him, etc. and let him walk. He's due a new contract and we have many other needs. Letting him go would not be a bad thing. I personally would like to see what Youboty can do. I also love the fact that the Bills are such a young team and they competed last year.

I'd use the Transition tag, if it's available to them. That keeps the matching option open...I think it's guaranteed top ten money.

The B'gals did that with TKO - and then-new HC Lewis tried mightily to retain him. It didn't work out - he was understandably disgusted with them so he was moving on regardless.

And he's a FA - there will be compensation.

Transition tag is pretty much a non-option too. All teams have to do is slip a poison pill in it. As a previous poster said: Washington can offer him a contract worth a total of 50 million, with it becoming all guaranteed money if Clements plays more than 3 games in Orchard Park in year one.

Man, I'm glad I don't work for you.

Break your word and you lose credibility with anyone else you hope to negotiate with in the future. It's just that simple.

The real question is: Why the hell did Marv even make the agreement to begin with? He did not need to give up the one tool the CBA gives him, because Nate would've had to come in under his Franchise offer sooner or later.

Instead, now he lets one of his best assets walk out the door....for nothing in return. Not good business sense, and when Nate does leave, Marv deserves to get skewered over this mistake. We could've drafted Nate's replacement with the pick we would've got for him, and still got the DL or LB we need in the 1st. Oh well, guess we are good enough to afford to give up something for nothing, even though we had the tools all along to at least not leave the cupboard bare.

Is there anything more fun than spending someone else's money? I don't think so.

considering that my family and i have been season ticket holders for over 20 years(my grandfather since the franchise started), id say that a good chunk of Nate's contract would be MY money.

maybe you should ask ralph that...

The real question is: Why the hell did Marv even make the agreement to begin with? He did not need to give up the one tool the CBA gives him, because Nate would've had to come in under his Franchise offer sooner or later.

Instead, now he lets one of his best assets walk out the door....for nothing in return. Not good business sense, and when Nate does leave, Marv deserves to get skewered over this mistake. We could've drafted Nate's replacement with the pick we would've got for him, and still got the DL or LB we need in the 1st. Oh well, guess we are good enough to afford to give up something for nothing, even though we had the tools all along to at least not leave the cupboard bare.

First- under the Bills version of the cover-2, CBs are expected to play soft zone coverage and don't need the skills to play press coverage. So it seems the cover -2 defense as designed for Buffalo does not need to have a CB as the most highly paid player on the team. Thus, the Bills knew last year that they would not be able to afford Nate. (Bill Parcells also devalued CBs in his system)

Second, although TD did use the tag to get a pick for Price, the NFLPA was not happy about using the tag with no intention of negotiating with the player. As part of the new CBA negotiations, it is just possible that the NFLPA and NFL have told teams that they will frown on using the cap strictly as a trade tool when there is no intention of negotiating in good faith.

Just a thought