Sing it with me!

SDS

That's insane! I assume you have no other choice.

I didn't when I first moved here - no DSL available. I think I can get DSL now, but havn't bothered since my company is footing the bill.

The $65/mo includes "lifeline cable," meaning all locals and I think some public access. I never use them, but if I cancel it, my bill will actually go up. The lifeline costs roughly $8/mo, and I get a $15/mo discount for having it. Go figure.

CW

I just hope that when all is said and done, Fios ends up costing less than cable for tv and internet.

I wouldn't count on it. I think when all is said and done, the price will be pretty comparable. You may see one company have a promotion from time to time, but if you have a $110 monthly bill for cable/internet currently, I wouldn't expect FIOS to be much lower.

Does anyone have FIOS TV/Internet currently that could share pricing info?

Fios is coming to town! woot!

they are digging up the neighborhood as we speak. I figure within the month I'll be riding the glass and Comcast can kiss my monopoly hatin' ass goodbye.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...n1.398ecef.html

Letters: Readers sound off about business issues

The Dallas Morning News

08:18 AM CST on Monday, January 29, 2007

FiOS headaches

Re: "Verizon's FiOS is fast; getting it isn't," by Victor Godinez, Jan. 19 Business section

I, too, had problems getting FiOS installed in my townhouse. When they came to install it, I was told that more wiring work was required. In the end, I was given five different install dates that ran over a 2 ½ -month period. I finally gave up due to the fact we decided to move.

The new house was up the street. I ordered FiOS as soon as the loan got approved, knowing of the delays. This time, I stayed on top of Verizon, calling and checking on the status of the permit they needed to bury the fiber.

It was installed on the appointed day but went out a week later. A tech was supposed to be at our house between 8 a.m. and noon. At 6:45 p.m. he showed, with no explanation. He worked until 10 that night, finally installing a temporary line behind my three neighbors' houses.

I was told he would put in a trouble ticket to get that line buried. Eight to 10 phone calls later, with no returns, and my line was still not buried. I called Verizon and told them that my homeowners association was threatening me with a $25-a-day fine. When I got home that day, my cable was finally buried.

Your article is dead-on about the services, by the way. I will get it again in a heartbeat, even knowing how much of a pain it is.

Allen Whitelock, Garland

I had a great experience with my FIOS install. The guy was right on time and was here for about 5 hours. They have to run the fiber from the pole outside into the house, install a box on your basement wall and run the line to the modem. The only service call that I have made in the 6 months or so that I've had FIOS was due to the October ice storm which broke the fiber line in front of my house. They came out and ran a new line the very next day after I called.

I have previously had DSL and cable internet and neither was as reliable nor anywhere near as fast as FIOS. When I had DSL I had to reboot the modem about once a week due to connection problems. I haven't had to do that at all since I got the FIOS.

• 1 month later...

Scott, we just moved into a new house this past summer. Verizon laid both at that time. The county has approved Fios, the tech is there but there is something that they will not allow us to have Fios yet. It was supposed to be by November, then December. This is full package, phone, internet and TV have all been approved, but still not allowed to have hooked up. Uggghhhhhhhh.

Fios is coming to town! woot!

they are digging up the neighborhood as we speak. I figure within the month I'll be riding the glass and Comcast can kiss my monopoly hatin' ass goodbye.

Replacing Comcast will fell REAL good, Fearless Leader. I despise those bastards almost as much as I despise Fred Smerlas.

Scott, we just moved into a new house this past summer. Verizon laid both at that time. The county has approved Fios, the tech is there but there is something that they will not allow us to have Fios yet. It was supposed to be by November, then December. This is full package, phone, internet and TV have all been approved, but still not allowed to have hooked up. Uggghhhhhhhh.

Congrats on the new place.

you can keep track of Fios issues here: http://www2.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber I can't imagine what the delay is...

So, are you kissing the Sunday Ticket goodbye? I'm pretty close to dropping it. If Fios carried Center Ice, I'm not sure I could resist.

Congrats on the new place.

you can keep track of Fios issues here: http://www2.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber I can't imagine what the delay is...

So, are you kissing the Sunday Ticket goodbye? I'm pretty close to dropping it. If Fios carried Center Ice, I'm not sure I could resist.

No, I'll keep the one receiver in the home theatre for Sunday football, but will probably get rid of everything else, if and when they activate the lines. Maybe if they keep raising the price I will eventually get rid of DTV all together. It would be nice since verizon is teamed with DTV if they someday would sign an agreement to allow sunday ticket on fios. Then DTV would go bye-bye. I just can't stand the deadskins so the need to watch other games is critical. Of course when the Bills move to Toronto or LA, then Sunday ticket is gone foever the very same day.

I think the delay has got to do with Comcast complaining and getting a hold on the actual rollout. Pisses me off because I know exactly where the fiber is and was talking to the folks laying the copper and fiber down. They thought it was funny because it was two seperate verizon contractors out at pretty much the same time. One laying copper, one laying the fiber.

No, I'll keep the one receiver in the home theatre for Sunday football, but will probably get rid of everything else, if and when they activate the lines. Maybe if they keep raising the price I will eventually get rid of DTV all together. It would be nice since verizon is teamed with DTV if they someday would sign an agreement to allow sunday ticket on fios. Then DTV would go bye-bye. I just can't stand the deadskins so the need to watch other games is critical. Of course when the Bills move to Toronto or LA, then Sunday ticket is gone foever the very same day.

I think the delay has got to do with Comcast complaining and getting a hold on the actual rollout. Pisses me off because I know exactly where the fiber is and was talking to the folks laying the copper and fiber down. They thought it was funny because it was two seperate verizon contractors out at pretty much the same time. One laying copper, one laying the fiber.

So, for 4 months you will have dual subs to Fios and DTV? They don't allow you to get the Ticket w/ a sub package anymore... That's a pricey solution.

So, for 4 months you will have dual subs to Fios and DTV? They don't allow you to get the Ticket w/ a sub package anymore... That's a pricey solution.

I'm rich. :rolleyes:

No, just keep basic service in there. Along with the ticket. What other choice do I have? Want to split the cost and you have a receiver and your dish and I'll have mine. Hook only one, where the service is registered, up to the landline? :devil:

I'm rich. :rolleyes:

No, just keep basic service in there. Along with the ticket. What other choice do I have? Want to split the cost and you have a receiver and your dish and I'll have mine. Hook only one, where the service is registered, up to the landline? :devil:

:lol:

FIOS is something we are considering.

Few questions:

1. Is it really heads and shoulders better than cable broadband?

2. How big is this "box" and where do they put it? Whats this nonsense about "digging"? Im in a rental house right now and Im sure my landlord wouldnt appreciate having the yard ripped up and all this equpiment bolted to his house so his tenant can get his pern faster.

Thanks!

All one more observation here...All these guys here sayin' "buh bye to monopolies,etc"...you DO realize this is VERIZON FIOS, right? Verizon isnt exactly some little mom and pop operation.

Fios is something that is being laid out by Verizon and you can only get it if they lay the fiber down your street. Once that is there - you request them to bring it into your house.

It can be head and shoulders above - it depends on your own situation, but most people find it cheaper for the same speed or faster for the same money.

Comcast is a monopoly in our county because they are the only ones with a cable franchise. So, unless you can get DSL - they are the sole provider of broadband for us. Fios will make them up their service and bring down their rates.

At the Home Show in Buffalo on Monday night I was pissed when asking someone in the Verizon booth about FIOS. Yes it's coming he says and tells me Williamsville will be first. He wasn't sure but was suggesting a price of $109 for phone, net and tv. He couldn't tell me anything about a hi def dvr and all he could tell was they will lhave HBO HD. :thumbsup:

I obviously want more info but I guess this will be a lenghty screwed up roll out much like HD service was on basically every cable co in the country.

you DO realize this is VERIZON FIOS, right? Verizon isnt exactly some little mom and pop operation.

True. Mrs Verizon popped a cap in Mr. Verizon's ass last year. It's just a Mom operation now.

2. How big is this "box" and where do they put it? Whats this nonsense about "digging"? Im in a rental house right now and Im sure my landlord wouldnt appreciate having the yard ripped up and all this equpiment bolted to his house so his tenant can get his pern faster.

Here's my post with a picture of the FIOS box in my basement.