I am tired of

nero47

You are searching for a job:

Company A is willing to pay you $40,000 a year.

Company B is willing to pay you $60,000 a year plus a company car.

Which one do you pick?

EDIT: For all you high rollers out there just adjust the numbers accordingly.

What if Company A offers long term security while Company B has a sociopathic CEO who constantly fires people

They fight for what they get as any of us would do, but they don't deserve this anymore then you or I deserve a raise. Sure players undergo physical risks, and they have extremely demanding professions. If it was a normal business model they would be entitled to benefits to cover these issues, not completely disproportionate incomes compared to the CEO’s and higher ups in the company/team. Without the dozens of original NFL and AFL owners who took huge risks this league would be nothing.

A company can't survive without the people who make the product/are the product, but at the same time the CEO/owner is the one who's developed the idea, or believed in what nobody else did. In real world he would be the one making the disproportionate salary, and if employees had a beef they would be let go without a thought. If the company did incredibly well like the NFL has they'll probably get a raise, but in the real world most that money is going back into the pockets of the men who took the risks to begin with. Players get what they get because the media, and fans. If some local newspaper strikes people don't care. If a professional sports league strikes it's talked about all day, and if it's the NFL it's 24/7. If people didn't attach themselves to players so much they would just be another employee who could be replaced. Just another person working for a company, making the same disproportionate salary most people make compared to the higher ups.

You disproved the thesis of your argument, with your own argument, about eight times. :thumbsup: This isn't a normal business model, the workers ARE more important than the CEO, the CEO didn't come up with the idea, you can't replace these guys with other guys, people DO care about these guys but not normal workers, the CEOs are easier to replace than the workers, and on and on and on.

Don't lump me with that bunch of chronic complainers. If there's one thing I hate is complainers complaining!

As for the first complaint about complaining not being complaining...try telling that to my wife!

One of my friends asked me how I've been able to stay married for 24 years.

I told him, "She knows she bosses me around, I know she bosses me around, and she knows I know she bosses me around." :thumbsup:

You disproved the thesis of your argument, with your own argument, about eight times. :thumbsup: This isn't a normal business model, the workers ARE more important than the CEO, the CEO didn't come up with the idea, you can't replace these guys with other guys, people DO care about these guys but not normal workers, the CEOs are easier to replace than the workers, and on and on and on.

If my points were scattered so be it, but you still haven't shown why they deserve more money in the context of how this league came to be. Every point you've made ignores why players are even in this position in the first place. The Buffalo Bills and just about every other team in football have an original owner behind them. The players wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for these men. Most of these owners risked a substantial amount on an unpopular sport while the players shared none of the burden. The players only became irreplaceable because the original owners did such a damn fine job making the NFL as popular as it is today. The reward of creating the most popular sport in this country is empowered players, who now have enough popularity to holed teams and the league hostage. Maybe that was the guaranteed end result of creating such a popular sport, but no way can you sit here and argue the players deserve it.

If my points were scattered so be it, but you still haven't shown why they deserve more money in the context of how this league came to be. Every point you've made ignores why players are even in this position in the first place. The Buffalo Bills and just about every other team in football have an original owner behind them. The players wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for these men. Most of these owners risked a substantial amount on an unpopular sport while the players shared none of the burden. The players only became irreplaceable because the original owners did such a damn fine job making the NFL as popular as it is today. The reward of creating the most popular sport in this country is empowered players, who now have enough popularity to holed teams and the league hostage. Maybe that was the guaranteed end result of creating such a popular sport, but no way can you sit here and argue the players deserve it.

Sure it would. There would be other men to take their place. That is the fundamental difference between sports leagues and normal business models. These guys didn't invent football. If every NFL owner decided to go bye bye the league would immediately fill up with guys just like them with just as much money and just as willing to make fools of themselves and throw it around. If the players walked away you would have scab football and no one would care and no one would go in these huge numbers because the quality would be that of AAA baseball.

Besides, I didn't say or mean that the players deserve more, they deserve whatever they can get.

Sure it would. There would be other men to take their place. That is the fundamental difference between sports leagues and normal business models. These guys didn't invent football. If every NFL owner decided to go bye bye the league would immediately fill up with guys just like them with just as much money and just as willing to make fools of themselves and throw it around. If the players walked away you would have scab football and no one would care and no one would go in these huge numbers because the quality would be that of AAA baseball.

Besides, I didn't say or mean that the players deserve more, they deserve whatever they can get.

Certainly - sports is one of the few business endeavors that can wipe their feet off on the face of the paying customer with confidence that they will come back for more.

While I was arguing against players deserving it, the real answer is probably they both deserve it. Some of the early greats like Red Grange, or Bronco Nagurski really had to be sold on Pro Football. Mergers had to made between the NFL, AAFC, and AFL. Lot's of things could have started trouble for this sport, and I like to think the quality of the men behind it has something to do with its popularity now. At the same time the great players over the years have certainly peeked Pro Footballs interest. Hell it could even be argued without Jim Thorpe or Red Grange Pro Football would have folded. So I guess they both deserve it, and both are entitled to fight over it like the rest of us.

Do two complaints cancel each other by virtue of the double negative?

two complaints = one hoorah ?

I am tired of the off season already.

Don't lump me with that bunch of chronic complainers. If there's one thing I hate is complainers complaining!

As for the first complaint about complaining not being complaining...try telling that to my wife!

I don't begrudge any player getting what he can.

My objection is using the family argument to justify it. I have not lived in the city of Buffalo for years, but as I remember it was a great place to live. I grew up going to school there so unless it has changed greatly, the education I received was excellent.

If a team owner wants to pay exhorbitant money to a player, that player would be foolish not to take it, unless he was going to a team which had little to no chance of making the playoffs and a ring was his main goal for playing.

Put yourself in the player's shoes. You visit 4-5 teams as a free agent, you get 2 offers. One for 4 years from the Bills, $10 signing bonus

Ten freakin bucks as a signing bonus from the Bills sounds about right.

seriously though, good post, I agree.