Concussions

eSJayDee

There's been a couple of threads about concussions recently & the long term effects.

Specifically, they mentioned that the Eagle Safety that recently commited suicide had severe brain degradation.

Is it possible that some inherent defect in someone's brain could make them more susceptible to concussions and that their future problems were almost assured of occurring regardless of their history of concussions?

i.e. They already possess a "defective" brain that likely will degrade prematurely AND this same defect might make rcving a concussion more likely and that concussions did NOT lead to their later problems but merely a symptom of an existing condition?

There's been a couple of threads about concussions recently & the long term effects.

Specifically, they mentioned that the Eagle Safety that recently commited suicide had severe brain degradation.

Is it possible that some inherent defect in someone's brain could make them more susceptible to concussions and that their future problems were almost assured of occurring regardless of their history of concussions?

i.e. They already possess a "defective" brain that likely will degrade prematurely AND this same defect might make rcving a concussion more likely and that concussions did NOT lead to their later problems but merely a symptom of an existing condition?

That sounds like the wishful thinking of the NFL medical staff to me....

Seriously, it is possible that one could have some weaknesses, but to think that being pounded constantly on your head, helmet or no, for years would not have any long-term ill effects is absurd. I know it makes us all uncomfortable, but this sport we love to watch leaves most of the people who played it crippled and permanently damaged.

Rah rah rah.....

a concussion occurs when the brain hits the skull. im not sure how someone would be more susceptible to concussions? especially because of something particular about their brain.

it IS a fact that the more you get the easier you get them. ive had 4 in my lifetime, 2 during high school lacrosse and 2 during college rugby. the last one knocked me blind for 45 minutes.

you raise a good question, and MAYBE some people have weaker brain fluid(i dont even know if thats possible, just runnin with it), but i dont think the theory holds much water.

now in THIS case INPARTICULAR, maaaybe he had some genetic predisposition to brain degradation. but i wouldnt say that most people that have brain damage and have had concussions, had those concussions because of brain damage. thats sort of reversing the whole process.

a concussion occurs when the brain hits the skull. im not sure how someone would be more susceptible to concussions? especially because of something particular about their brain.
I have no particular medical knowledge, but I believe a concussion is when the brain 'bruises', that is moves around &/or hit the skull sufficiently to cause trauma (that is to cause problems - memory, balance, sight, speech, etc). Ergo, some people being more susceptible to them than others (& repeated concussions also leading to increased susceptibility).

Just like some people bruise easier, bones break easier or are more suscpetible to viruses, why can't some people have more resistance or susceptibility to concussions?

but i wouldnt say that most people that have brain damage and have had concussions, had those concussions because of brain damage. thats sort of reversing the whole process.

I don't know if it is reversing the process, that's what I'm asking. & I wouldn't use the term 'damage'. I agree that a concussion MIGHT lead to brain damage, but what I'm referring to is an innate 'deficiency' that leads itself not only to premature brain degradation but also a susceptibility to concussions. That is I'm questioning whether all the concussions this guy had lead to the brain damage or rather some other genetic defect or disease lead to both the concussions and his demise.

FWIW, to the best of my knowledge, I've only had 1 concussion i.e. a whack on the head sufficient to have me black out & cause other 'intermediate' term problems.

i guess thats definitely possible. but i also feel that the hits these guys take would give anyone a concussion. maybe he just got it worse because he had some other defect.

sure, i wouldnt rule that out. but i think its the hits/concussions are definitely a catalyst for other problems.

who knows. maybe he was predisposed to, and wouldve developed, alzheimers at a typical age no matter what. but those concussions sped it along...

OH TO BE A DOCTOR!