Why isn't the media destroying Marlon McCree

Albany,n.y.

I can't believe the pass Marlon McCree has gotten on talk shows & in the media today. Is it the result of the CBS announcers not ripping him, after they called him a future head coach, or was there so much stupidity exhibited by San Diego yesterday that it just blended in?

More than once today I've heard or read he should have went to the ground upon intercepting the ball-WRONG! He had no business intercepting the ball in the 1st place. Anyone who says he should have went down upon intercepting doesn't understand the concept of lost field position that that would have caused.

Maybe this play angers me so much because of Nate Clements failure to bat a ball down on 4th & long on opening day 2004 where the receiver caught the ball & Jacksonville got a 1st down, continued the drive & later won the game.

I sure hope I never see a Bill intercept a pass on 4th down, or try to intercept a pass when batting it down is the better option.

I can't believe the pass Marlon McCree has gotten on talk shows & in the media today. Is it the result of the CBS announcers not ripping him, after they called him a future head coach, or was there so much stupidity exhibited by San Diego yesterday that it just blended in?

A little of both but I'd say more of the former. As much as everyone hates every announcer, their commentary has a huge subconscious impact on people's perception of a game.

I agree - that's one of the biggest bonehead plays of the season. Yet Andy Reid's decision to punt on 4th&15 gets way more ink - even though the vast majority of time, it really doesn't matter at all what the coach decides to do in that spot. I guess it's just more fun to rip coaches :blink:

Everybody knows that knocking down the ball doesn't get you into the Pro Bowl.

One of the reporters interviewing McCree after the game asked him why he tried to intercept it instead of knock it down. McCree asked why he'd do that, to which the reporter said, "well it's fourth down." That's about all that's I've seen on the stupidity of the move, but I can't figure out where I saw that video last night.

One of the reporters interviewing McCree after the game asked him why he tried to intercept it instead of knock it down. McCree asked why he'd do that, to which the reporter said, "well it's fourth down." That's about all that's I've seen on the stupidity of the move, but I can't figure out where I saw that video last night.

I found the quotes within this story. Reading it makes the CBS boys who called him coaching material sound like total idiots. This guy doesn't even understand the game he plays. Ahead by 8, chance to get the ball around the 40-take the sure thing. I sure wouldn't want to be this guy's financial advisor if he ever went to Vegas.

“I was trying to make a play,” he said, “and anytime I get the ball I am going to try and score. I saw there was an (offensive) lineman in front of me, and I knew if I could make him miss I was off and running.

“Before I had a chance to do that, Troy Brown stripped it. He made a great play, and I was trying to make a big play. (In) hindsight I don't regret it because I would never try and just go down on the (ground). I want to score.”

Asked why he just didn't knock the ball down, since it was fourth down and an incomplete pass would have given the Chargers possession, McCree scoffed.

“Why would I knock the ball down?” he said. “He threw it right to me.”

Later, McCree added: “I would do the same thing if I had the same opportunity. This time I would just secure the ball more securely.”

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/charg...s15chside1.html

I found the quotes within this story. Reading it makes the CBS boys who called him coaching material sound like total idiots. This guy doesn't even understand the game he plays. Ahead by 8, chance to get the ball around the 40-take the sure thing. I sure wouldn't want to be this guy's financial advisor if he ever went to Vegas.

"I was trying to make a play," he said, "and anytime I get the ball I am going to try and score. I saw there was an (offensive) lineman in front of me, and I knew if I could make him miss I was off and running.

"Before I had a chance to do that, Troy Brown stripped it. He made a great play, and I was trying to make a big play. (In) hindsight I don't regret it because I would never try and just go down on the (ground). I want to score."

Asked why he just didn't knock the ball down, since it was fourth down and an incomplete pass would have given the Chargers possession, McCree scoffed.

"Why would I knock the ball down?" he said. "He threw it right to me."

Later, McCree added: "I would do the same thing if I had the same opportunity. This time I would just secure the ball more securely."

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/charg...s15chside1.html

Wow....I sure hope the Bills hire him someday! We need more guys who "want to make a play!"

:blink:

Isn't this the same stupidity that Nate Clements exhibited in the home opener in 2004 against the Jaguars? Simply KNOCK DOWN a 4th and forever pass attempt and go home a winner?? Forgetting down and distance in this league is nothing NEW..... Bledsoe forgetting its 4th down, Willis McGahee forgetting its 4th down.... The rule of thumb here is that "you" need a little bit of concentration to play this game well and some players don't possess this skill as some others do!!!

I don't blame him. If he'd been able to get past that one player, he may very well have put the final nail in the coffin. There's nothing that says SD wouldn't have lost the game anyway (they would have - Marty Schottenheimer is their coach). I'd be far more concerned with Schottenheimer's history of questionable decision making in the post season than what amounted to Troy Brown making a miracle play.

Isn't this the same stupidity that Nate Clements exhibited in the home opener in 2004 against the Jaguars? Simply KNOCK DOWN a 4th and forever pass attempt and go home a winner?? Forgetting down and distance in this league is nothing NEW..... Bledsoe forgetting its 4th down, Willis McGahee forgetting its 4th down.... The rule of thumb here is that "you" need a little bit of concentration to play this game well and some players don't possess this skill as some others do!!!

I wouldn't say it was the same because of the time left in the Jax game, or the fact that the ball Nate went for wasn't the easy pick that McCree got.

Me either. I expect a DB to try for the big play after a pick.

No balls, no glory...

I can't tell you the number of times I've seen a DB go for a "knockdown" and end up tipping the ball to a receiver for a big play. Then everyone would be all over McCree for not catching the damn thing. He was a victim of bad luck - nothing more.

I wouldn't say it was the same because of the time left in the Jax game, or the fact that the ball Nate went for wasn't the easy pick that McCree got.

Didn't matter. The fact was if either of them just did the right thing, the thing they were told by every coach at every level every season since eight years old, their respective teams would VERY likely have won they game, but lost it. And it was easy for either of them to just knock it down.

I can't tell you the number of times I've seen a DB go for a "knockdown" and end up tipping the ball to a receiver for a big play. Then everyone would be all over McCree for not catching the damn thing. He was a victim of bad luck - nothing more.

Thank you, AD.

This wasn't a hail mary pass or anything remotely close to that. Brady was trying to gun the ball to Troy Brown (I think), but he was just trying to get a first down - not throw it up for grabs. McCree made a play by jumping the route and making the pick, since he was in perfect position to do so....the ball practically hit him between the numbers. I'd expect any DB to do the same thing.

As for the play in 2004 by Clements, that was a jump ball between him and the WR. I vaguely remember seeing the replay, but I think it was just a case of the WR (Jimmy Smith, IIRC) out-jumping Nate. I don't remember that Nate tried for the interception, but his goal on that play would have been to knock it down, also.

Didn't matter. The fact was if either of them just did the right thing, the thing they were told by every coach at every level every season since eight years old, their respective teams would VERY likely have won they game, but lost it. And it was easy for either of them to just knock it down.

I played DB pretty much my whole life. With the exception of "Hail Mary's", I don't remember ever being told not to go for an interception when the ball was going to hit me in the stomach.

There was well over 6 minutes left in the game. Him not knocking the ball down didn't cost them the game.

If you are any type of coach, you tell them at every level to run like h*ll and try to score if you get a defensive turn over.

I certainly understand a knock-down, but I'd rather have my defenders try to bring the battle to the opponent regardless of circumstance. Errors that are made in a blink of an eye are to be forgiven.

but I think it was just a case of the WR (Jimmy Smith, IIRC) out-jumping Nate.

Worse. It was Ernest Wilford. I don't think that play would have pissed off half as much if hadn't been caught by a third tier WR.

I certainly understand the knock-down, but I'd rather have my defenders try to bring the battle to the opponent regardless of circumstance. Errors that are made in a blink of an eye are to be forgiven.

Along the lines of this argument, knocking the ball down here is like playing not to lose. The way things were going for SD, they would have gone 3 & out, punted, and watched Brady bring them down the field to score with less than a minute left.

While this likely would have sent the game to OT (and we all know anything can happen there), the Pats would have fixed the coin flip to win the toss and go right down to kick the winning FG. <_<