San Diego has a ZERO chance at making the bowl....

You do realize that that doesn't mean jackdiddlysquatpoo, correct?

Just noting that the conventional wisdom disagrees with you.

First of all, I said "may."

Well, any team "may" beat another on any given day (see Texans over Colts :rolleyes: ). Singling out the Jets as a team that New England "may" not get past implied (at least to me) that the Jets chances are better than even, which the oddsmakers insist is not so

Do you dispute that NE is a much weaker team than in years past...

Yes.

The '06 team had the best scoring defense of any Pats team in the Belichick era, and the offense is showing serious signs of life with 104 points scored in the last three games.

Schottenheimer has certainly managed to grasp defeat from the jaws of victory in playoffs past, but I think this is a different team and a different Marty.

That is the one point that can not be overlooked. The Jets game 2 years ago he handed the game to them. Any coach who basically doesn't try to improve field position at the 25 yard line expecting a rookie kicker to make the field goal, expect to lose.

Much like Cincinnati this weekend vs. Pitt. A week after missing an extra point and losing, they too did not try to improve their field position and their kicker missed it (probably good if 5 yards closer).

That's a load of crap. The guy's a solid coach who's had good but not great teams, plus his share of bum luck. Was it Schottenheimer's fault that Ernest Byner lost the ball going in for the winning TD? That Lin Elliott suddenly forgot how to kick FGs? No.

Great work and job to A. J. Smith! Hope he calls Ralph if they win it all and farts in the phone for letting him go...

Smith has done a great job in San Diego but he was not "let go". He opted to follow John Butler who was fired. A.J. could have stayed but chose otherwise.

You guys realize that the Pats are the biggest favorite of all the favored teams this weekend, correct?

point spreads can be misleading. last i saw it was like NE by 8 or 8.5, but if you break it down...

figure NE gets 3 points for being the home team and the refs rewriting the rulebook in the Pats' favor adds another 3 points

So the Pats are really just a 2 to 2.5 point favorite

Coaching wins playoffs guys... Coaching wins Super Bowls

I hate to say it but its the ONLY reason NE has their SB wins....

New England 37

New York 17

This game is OVER in the first half...

If coaching wins Super Bowls, how come Belicheck the genius didn't do squat in Clevaland when he was coaching there?

If coaching wins Super Bowls, how come Belicheck the genius didn't do squat in Clevaland when he was coaching there?

Because he didn't take the Browns to the playoffs? :blink:

There are certain guys that once they get you in... Can take it "over the hump".

I don't necessarily buy into this and Navy's idea... Yet, I kinda fear Lindy may be one those coachs...

I know this is a football thread and all and don't want to side track it... But, coaching is big... Especially in the other sport (Ruff reference)... Notice in that sport, championships are littered with even a fewer number of DIFFERENT coachs...

Usually... The two teams that get there are equal... I say usually... And coaching will tip the balance... Marv wasn't too big on "adjusting"... And that, IMO, is what makes a champion... Pure execution will not get you there... You have to get the uphander when it fails...

Just sayin' :blink:

• 2 weeks later...