ILB vs OLB

frogger

It might be in our better interest if we loose Fletcher, we should draft a OLB, and fill the ILB with Crowell or better yet Spikes. Only a few rookies are able to play the interior their rookie years...they typically end up being the rookie of the year. draft as you would in the first round, hopefully a WR and then draft a speedy OLB like Earl Everett, I also think that PP (the LB) might fall, the acl/mcl injury might scare some teams. Fill the interior DL with a Free agent like Smith, re sign clements at almost any cost. What I am really hoping for is that Youboty shows why he was considered a 1st rounder and beats out McGee, who played absolutly bad this year.

It might be in our better interest if we loose Fletcher, we should draft a OLB, and fill the ILB with Crowell or better yet Spikes. Only a few rookies are able to play the interior their rookie years...they typically end up being the rookie of the year. draft as you would in the first round, hopefully a WR and then draft a speedy OLB like Earl Everett, I also think that PP (the LB) might fall, the acl/mcl injury might scare some teams. Fill the interior DL with a Free agent like Smith, re sign clements at almost any cost. What I am really hoping for is that Youboty shows why he was considered a 1st rounder and beats out McGee, who played absolutly bad this year.

I'm not sure we could draft a LB to start right away. If we do move Spikes inside, then we'd probably go into the season with Crowell and Ellison starting. i'm not sure it's that big an issue if a draft pick can't start right away.

If Youboty beats out McGee and Clements is gone this team is in seriosu trouble. I just dont think Youboty can beat out McGee. Give Fewell another year with McGee I bet you see a different player!

If Youboty beats out McGee and Clements is gone this team is in seriosu trouble. I just dont think Youboty can beat out McGee. Give Fewell another year with McGee I bet you see a different player!
:rolleyes:

Wow....that's one of the sanist things you've said on this board. McGee WILL be markedly better with another year under his belt under Fewell. Both he and Nate looked lost for the first 7 games of the season. Then they started matching Nate up with the oposistion's best WR and things looked a lot better for Clements. The thing I'm most concerned about McGee is durability. He does miss time and our backups are just that, backups not NFL caliber starters.

Although K. Thomas looks like a nice nickel corner.

my D wish list:

1 sign nate

2 spikes gets healtheir (the most certain out of all of thes imo) and moves INSIDE

3 we sign AT LEAST 2 new DTs -- 1st rounder and a FA

4 Adelious thomas from balty becomes our Sam backer

with spikes in the middle, thomas on the strong side, and ellison/crowell on the weak side (i think crowell is very well suited to wlb in our D) our backing core would go from small and not that fast/experienced to a salty squad of quick and beefy vets. without having to soak up blockers on the strong side spikes will reak havok in the middle, and AT is a terror who beats up tight ends and can disrupt opponents.

our front 7 is weak, adding AT, getting spikes and crow back heathy gives us a 3 man upgrade and a whole lot more size. throw in 2 dts in our rotation and mcargo playing in his second year and we might be top 12 against the run -- which with our pass d and o and st is enough to get us a lead agianst most anyone.

Why would Spikes want to move inside. He is not a tackling machine...He is a playmaker who flies to the ball.

Year Team G Total Tkl Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg Lg TD Pass Def

1998 Cincinnati Bengals 16 114 97.0 17 2 0 0 0.0 0 0 2

1999 Cincinnati Bengals 16 106 83.0 23 3 2 7 3.5 7 0 4

2000 Cincinnati Bengals 16 128 109.0 19 2 2 12 6.0 7 0 2

2001 Cincinnati Bengals 15 109 80.0 29 6 1 66 66.0 66 1 4

2002 Cincinnati Bengals 16 112 80.0 32 1.5 0 0 0.0 0 0 1

2003 Buffalo Bills 16 126

Pretty good tackle numbers considering that he is just a "playmaker".....you dont need blazing speed to be a good ILB...and TKO has lost a step, I think it would suit him perfectly

Year Team G Total Tkl Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg Lg TD Pass Def

1998 Cincinnati Bengals 16 114 97.0 17 2 0 0 0.0 0 0 2

1999 Cincinnati Bengals 16 106 83.0 23 3 2 7 3.5 7 0 4

2000 Cincinnati Bengals 16 128 109.0 19 2 2 12 6.0 7 0 2

2001 Cincinnati Bengals 15 109 80.0 29 6 1 66 66.0 66 1 4

2002 Cincinnati Bengals 16 112 80.0 32 1.5 0 0 0.0 0 0 1

2003 Buffalo Bills 16 126

Pretty good tackle numbers considering that he is just a "playmaker".....you dont need blazing speed to be a good ILB...and TKO has lost a step, I think it would suit him perfectly

spikes is an outside LB pure and simple. he was brought in for a few reasons, the main one being that he was good. but among the more specific reasons he was brought in was his ability to absolutely destroy a team's screen game and its ability to pass to running backs. in 02, teams ate the bills alive on those sorts of plays -- just think of kevin faulk and charlie garner having career games against the bills d. in 03, those sorts of plays dropped in number precipitously.

basically, my point is that moving him inside is a bad idea. let him get healthy and put him at his natural position -- the one excels at. even if he's lost half a step, he'll still be better than most OLBs in coverage.

why would Youboty be competing with McGee when he would naturally just take over for Clements

Crowell is too small to play ILB-especially on this team. If anything, we need a big backer who shreds blocks, has great instincts, and flows to the ball. Crowell and Ellison will be our OLBs next year. If Spikes is ready to resume his effectiveness, he will play the strong side. Ellison would be the other backer. Ellison is going to be a very good player, IMO. Fewell will rotate Crowell at either OLB since he plays both positions fairly well and is a good cover guy.

The Bills will draft a Middle linebacker inside the first two rounds unless they sign the Baltimore guy in FA. I believe this position is more important than drafting a new DT (because Kyle will be bigger and McCargo will be back), although a DT needs to be drafted along with a guard early. Thus, assuming we don't sign anyone:

1. MLB (big, strong, and good instincts)

2. OG (run blocker first)

3. WR (Tall, possession-type)

4. DT (Big and Fat)

6. RB (Leon Washington clone can be found late)

7. OT (project)

spikes started out @ mlb in the nfl and played mlb in school

you'll notice fletcher made some big plays this year --- in cover 2 mlb can well be a play making possy.

the biggest thing is if we have thomas from balty, spikes and crowell we have 3 3 down backers who can crush the run and make

plays.

we also have a shot at turning a couple middle passes to backs and TEs into ceptos and fumbles

Crowell is too small to play ILB-especially on this team. If anything, we need a big backer who shreds blocks, has great instincts, and flows to the ball.

Shelton Quarles has played, and excelled at MLB for Tampa Bay for several years weighing 10 pounds less than Angelo Crowell.

the biggest thing is if we have thomas from balty, spikes and crowell we have 3 3 down backers who can crush the run and make

plays.

Ellison will be starting at one of the linebacker position next season.....He has shown that he can play in this league pretty well.

Shelton Quarles has played, and excelled at MLB for Tampa Bay for several years weighing 10 pounds less than Angelo Crowell.

And Crowell has shown no ability to take good angles to ball, meet the running back in the gap head on, shed blocks, nor drop a guy immediately, using he is being dragged. Thanks, but Crowell is good in nickle and dime packages only and should stay off the field in obvious run/screen downs.